Columbia crew who’s who

Screen shot 2013-06-22 at 11.39.45 AM

Twitpic’d by Joy Williams.

Part of me wishes David was in this picture.

The other part thinks, “Those folks are just great musicians… David’s my spirit animal.” 🙂

p.s.

From the last thread, here are the results of the poll asking “When he gets back, how much time off should David take before releasing music or touring?“:

1. I don’t know how I feel but I really really really hope he does at least one “welcome home” show in 2014: 46.24%

2. He should take all the time he needs for himself, and to refine his own sound: 32.26%

3. None, he should reconnect with fans and industry peeps right away: 7.53%

4. One month and then pick up where he left off: 7.53%

5. I’m open to whatever direction he takes, even if it’s not music: 5.38%

6. Two months, and not even tweet or vlog during that time, it should be for him: 1%

hmm, interesting.
This entry was posted in Utter nonsense and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Columbia crew who’s who

1. Grammyj says:

I would love for David to be in that picture. Some of my favorite artists and David’s too are in that picture. I didn’t get a chance to comment on the last thread. I’m a greedy fan, and I hope David gets going on his music career quickly after he returns home. I truly think he will because David has never been one to sit around at home.

My suggestion to David would be to purchase a new iPhone when he gets home as it is very easy to connect with social media and it takes excellent pictures. He needs to reconnect via social media. It would take very little time out of his day to post on twitter and Facebook. Every time Kari posts a picture of David on facebook it gets thousands of likes. He should join Instagram and post pictures like his pal Tori Kelly and Kris Allen. Again with the iPhone it is easy to do and would generate interest in David again.

Next I hope he gets a band together and puts on a tour which would be called his ” Begin Again” tour. He can tour all over the country in small clubs like Kris Allen has been doing. David’s biggest asset is his live singing so people néed to hear him live. Once you hear him live you want to hear him again. I think that is the way for David to build a following. He has lots of songs to pick from since he has five albums out. He doesn’t even need new material.

I guess I’m past the superstar status for David. I think he wants to be a working musician and this is how I think he can possibly achieve that IMHO.

I like the way you think, Grammyj! I don’t really know Kris Allen’s music, but did go to his last show here in Toronto, which, as you say, was held in a small club that actually reminded me of the SBL video, with the open brick walls and twinkly strings of lights. It was tiny but the acoustics were great (about the same # of people you’d see at a David VIP)… I think an acoustic tour of those kind of clubs at some point would be a great idea… esp. for us! 🙂 🙂 🙂

2. Sheebla says:

I like your ideas too GrammyJ,small venues would be great! Sara B. just played one here, place held a few hundred, rave reviews. I’m very curious as to what plans he had in the works for his return. Even if he decides to go to school he could do music at the same time, Scotty McCreery is and seems to work out well.
    Time will tell!

3. gladys1961 says:

I’ve written a new article, I hope you enjoy. Gracias.

4. Spirit says:

Grammyj…..I agree that small clubs would be great venues for David when he returns. This format would enable him to play in more areas (hoping he makes an appearance in the Midwest!), and his voice is really front and center in small, acoustic venues. I also think that he should play in college communities to gain more young fans. That age group seems to have eclectic musical tastes and enjoys indie artists, so David should appeal to them now that he is older and has such a jazzy, soulful style.

• Anonymouse says:

Spirit- playing in college communities would be smart- didn’t Cook do a whole college tour a while back? He would probably need new music first though? not sure his current stuff would work with indie-hipster students and such. Broken and songs like it maybe would, and acoustic covers like GGTH and GP/Let It Be.

Grammyj I would like David to be in that picture as well. Maybe he should sign with Columbia?

• Grammyj says:

Yes, Cook did a college tour and Phillip Phillips will be doing one. I work for a big 10 University and the good thing about a college tour is the artist gets a flat fee as the students pay an activities fee for entertainment. So the artist doesn’t have to worry about the attendance at the concert. David would just have to get booked in the first place for a flat fee that would work for him. I use to see the entertainment contracts as part of my job. I think David has plenty of songs that would work for the college crowd especially from TOSOD and of course, Crush.

• Spirit says:

Anonymouse….I agree that he may need some new music to add to his jazzier existing songs and covers. This style suits him so well. I really loved the last band that he put together for the Asian and CFTH tours. They were perfect for that type of sound.

Great photo, part of me wishes David was in that picture too but I love your “David’s my spirit animal” TOfan. Missed commenting on the last thread too but read all the great, interesting comments. Grammyj has some good suggestions for David! Yes, there will be lots for him to catch up on and family time, etc. and catching up on HIS time, just as importantly. The reality is music is in his blood, in his being. Won’t go away, pretty certain of that, thankfully! There have probably been some plans worked on before he left to focus on upon his return.
    Been re watching some of his interview vids before he left such as Razor TV from Singapore and others. Love watching them.
    His passion and sincerity is so clear, as is his remarkable kind and humble nature (and his love for his fans and for music, including Spanish music). Whenever he gets back in to music, in whatever capacity, big or small…will be the right time but have a feeling it won’t be too long and I think we are in for some wonderful surprises in future. I wouldn’t put another acting gig past him either. The future is wide open.
    Can’t help but love this guy and can’t help but have complete faith in him and the gifts he shares.
    Whatever he will share will be gratefully received. When he returns, would be nice if his first vlog was an extra long rambly one (partly in Spanish). 🙂

An extra-long-rambly-partly-in-Spanish vlog????? ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME, PEPP?!!!!! 😯 … sorry, just picturing that put me over the edge, lol!

… and “Someone” left this comment on the OHN soundcheck thread this aft. so I wanted to bring it over here:

“I love David the most when he sings with a huge orchestra or just a piano and even a cappella. I don’t care much for too much drumming nor other clanging background noise. Wish he were back with Kendra. She also had a lot of good ideas for him when they were together. I’m hoping when he returns and goes on tour (please, please) that he will have a good group with him. It really makes a big difference, I think.”

Yes, I vote for either just a piano or an awesome band… as Spirit said, this last band was awesome, such a cool vibe they had going… or just a guitar, like this amazing vid & perf:

New post/thread!

🙂

8. Anonymous says:

Tofan, I’m the someone you quoted above. I just listened to “My Hands” but i prefer David singing (Google these) Contigo en LaDistancia, When you Say You Love Me, Love Me Tender, Smokey Mountain Memories. The Prayer (w/Lopez). These songs show his special voice, that singing with meaning and feeling every word.