David Archuleta: Whataya want from him?

Yes, there is always the emergency exit.

Lots of fans (me included) have been suggesting David sing a cover song in his next vlog. I’m thinking “Whataya Want From Me?” might be a good choice.

Not getting enough info? Not getting enough tour details? Think you deserve a front-row-seat for confidential career negotiations and strategic planning that could affect the course of David’s career?  Three albums, tours, a book and MoTab not enough for you?

If you answered yes to those questions, I feel for you, I really do. Perhaps your fan energy would be better compensated by the 7/11ish 24-hour-product-dispensing music machine that is Mr. Biebster.

Maybe I’m the one expecting too much … from fans. Maybe being a music-loving, concert-going freak from back in the Paleozoic pre-twitter vinyl era means that I’m used to waiting YEARS for ONE album to come out, more years still for a precious concert tour and career info solely from the pages of Rolling Stone.

Sorry, guys, I know most of you are not tweeting David and bugging him for, well everything, but when I see fans threatening (yes, threatening) to pull their support for him, I can’t help but question their definition of “support.”

Yes, David said “communication is key” but anyone who’s been a fan of his for five minutes knows that telling us he enjoyed a pear peach almond avocado habanero smoothie is his idea of communicating with us. I’d rather wait and get actual information that’s confirmed by him than empty promises, maybes and teasers that don’t amount to anything. But that’s just me. At least he does his own tweeting and vlogging, lots of artists either don’t do it at all or delegate that to faceless, anonymous staffers.

And David will likely never cover WWFM, but then again, who knows….

Just don’t give up, I’m workin’ it out
Please don’t give in, I won’t let you down*

Yikes, rant over. What do you guys think?

*Confession, I had to look up the actual WWFM lyrics.

This entry was posted in Fan experience and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

86 Responses to David Archuleta: Whataya want from him?

1. Julee says:

Where is the LIKE button? Better yet, where is the LOVE button?
    Thanks Deb.

2. MunkFOD says:

Deb! I love you! love it! love! ………… 🙂

Giving David all the space, time, support he needs.. He doesn’t owe me a thing..would love to have more music from him someday…when he can.. 🙂

3. Joner says:

*High Five* gurlfriend! 🙂

Ditto, Amen, and YES.
    “It’s a brutal, grinding, chew-’em-up-spit-’em-out industry he’s involved in — even megastar Rhianna has had to cancel underselling concert dates lately — and David has said that part of what encourages him to keep putting one foot in front of the other is our fan support. So let’s give him the time and space he needs to lay that foundation and build that tower, or bridge, or whatever the heck it is he’s building … it’s gonna be worth it, ’cause that’s what love is.”

I don’t get how you can be a fan of an artist and then withdraw support if things do not go fast enough or not enough info is apparently getting out. He has said he is building a foundation for his music career… that is all this fan really needs to know….and when new music comes and tours come I WILL BE THERE!

Thanks for this post TOfan!! ((((hugs)))

5. Kathyh says:

Love, love, love this post. Thank you!

6. vermeer says:

I love it when you rant Deb! LOVE IT!!!

Thank your for sparing me the work of having to create a blog just so I could say exactly what you said LOL. Every word. But only you could say it the way you do! I hope you feel a little better after the rant. I do! I ❤ u!

7. Heidijoy says:

I’ve become a lot more patient because of sites such as Snow Angelz and contributors such as yourself Tofan! I remember a few Vlogs ago being disappointed when David didn’t reveal more details and have changed my expectations to go with the flow.
    David has already accomplished more than anyone else from his Season and most other Idols and he is 20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I came to the realization that my eagerness had more to do with my age than David’s. I’m glad he is Living Life and laying his foundation which I believe will be strong!!!
    Thanks for giving us lessons on the Serenity Prayer and PATIENCE. We are living in an age where instant access already gives us much more info than ever.
    I can remember the days when we never heard anything until maybe a Sunday night when favorite singers might come on the radio. (ha! I’m dating myself)

8. Nan says:

Great post Deb. Thanks again.

9. Cathy says:

Thank you. I agree with every word. ❤

10. Diane says:

Love the rant. I agree and will wait however long it takes. In the meantime I continue to listen to and enjoy TOSOD.

11. Archugeezer says:

Exactly. Absolutely. Spot on. Perfectly said. No kidding. You tell ’em. Amen.

Thank you for this! And thank you for all the entertaining and informative posts while David works on that foundation.

12. claudiacb says:

Deb, Thank you so much for putting what I was feeling into words.
    My support does not come with a lot of strings attached. During these last three years I have come to truly, honestly, care about David the person, so number one on my wish list is, I want him to be happy.
    Of course, I want tours and music, but most of all I am just grateful that David Archuleta’s voice and spirit even exist in my little part of the universe. I hope I continue to have the privilege of hearing his voice. It enriches my life. To paraphrase David, I can never thank him enough.

13. Angelica says:

TOfan,

These are words I wanna say, every hour of every day…

You said here so well exactly what I woke up this morning feeling so acutely. I thought while gettting dressed for work how much pressure David is under with the loss of his label and management and having to pretty much start from scratch. I thought of how much is weighing on his shoulders to do all the right things and make the right choices because so many are waiting and depending on him to get it right. The money, the legal ramifications, the decisions, the details, and the vast organizing must seem so daunting and everyone watching his every move because they don’t want him to let them down. I hardly ever go on twitter as anyone who is unlucky enough to follow me knows and I didn’t know about people actually tweeting him things like that. I actually had the thought this morning before coming here to read your post that I wish he would just go home and be happy. Just be happy, David. T-pain had it right, “under pressure, like David Archuleta.” There is enough pressure in the cold-hearted, dirty business he is in and he doesn’t need more of it from so-called fans.

14. betsy says:

I would like to say that it’s just young kids saying those things to him, but really, I know better. I have seen otherwise. It is very upsetting. Those are the days when I am nowhere to be found on any site. I can’t even look some days. For shame.
    David doesn’t owe a daily explanation of his every move, career plan or otherwise to anyone. Or any explanation of anything. We are lucky to get what we do. And we get a lot.
    Oh my heck Deb, thank you for writing this.

15. Maureen_abms says:

LOVE.EVERY.WORD.OF.THIS! 🙂

You said a mouthful Deb.

Fans and the internet…it can be a fun and friendly or the other and there is no filter or controls as to who is in it to be fun and friendly and who is in it for other things. Some people even think the “free for all” anarchy of it is the fun.

Celebrity = power and people sometimes want a piece of it, to control the power. I remember something Kevin Spacey said about maintaining a strict private life, he said that he gave his art to the fans and his private life was his alone.

Spacey also said in interviews when pushed about things he didn’t wish to discuss: “Am I now supposed to go on Oprah and cry and tell you my deepest, darkest secrets because you want to know? And I certainly won’t lay out areas of my life that I think are just private.”

I am pretty much of the mind that David understands Twitter and communications (like you said) and has his boundaries firmly in place. And as for the crazies, the fan-a-tics, I would make a sizable bet that David knows when to hold ’em, knows when to fold ’em, knows when to walk away, and knows when to run! 😀

“I would make a sizable bet that David knows when to hold ‘em, knows when to fold ‘em, knows when to walk away, and knows when to run!” Yes! 🙂

17. bella says:

I agree with much of what you say in your piece. It’s shameful if people are actually tweeting David and adding to the pressure he undoubtably already feels. As far as people actually leaving the fanbase? Well, I don’t know what’s up with that, but honestly, what could David do to hold on those fickle fans anyway? Probably nothing.
    I guess my only difference in opinion (and maybe it’s not really, maybe this isn’t who you are referring to at all) is that there is a segment of the fanbase who are more vocal in their worrying, their handwringing. I feel like those fans are being attacked for the way they feel and I don’t think that’s fair. There are lots of people who seem perfectly comfortable to wait David out (more power to them!) but for some, this wait is fraught with anxiety and uncertainly and they need to talk about it. I just hate that these fans feel like they can’t express their worries/fears without repercussions and have to go into hiding. We are all very different and are handling this situation in unique ways, and I would hope that the general fanbase understands this. I am not talking about the people who are angry, demanding tour RIGHT NOW because they feel ripped off in some way- those are the folks who probably aren’t going to stick around. But for the rest of us who worry, who vent, please be gentle. We love him too. As much as I might blather on about hoping there is news soon, I still want David to make all the right decisions that will make him happy in the end, and I would never try to hurry him up just to please myself. Thanks for the thought provoking post. 🙂

• emmegirl says:

I agree Bella, we need a place where we feel secure in expressing our fears and concerns as well as joys and excitement. Hopefully everyone knows sites like these are exactly the places they are able to do so. Collectively I think his fans are as supportive of each other as they are of him.

What’s crazy to me is there are those who really believe this type of “threat” would actually spur him into altering his course.

18. Lorna says:

TOfan, I just love love your rants. I’m sure you’ve been that fly hovering on my mind.

Oh YES, it’s gonna be well worth it ’cause this time he’s doing it HIS way! What more could we ask for!

Now bring on that dang tour haha!!

19. bluebird19 says:

Short, sweet & to the point, Deb! Great job on this article.

20. stenocruiser says:

Beautifully stated, TOfan, and it needed to be said. David has given us so much — of course we want even more — but we can wait and give him what he needs now, time. It will be well worth it we know.

This video made in September 2008 by Michelinamarie (a Canadian teenage student) shows David in all his unbridled gratitude and happiness — it’s one of my favourites of many tributes.

In the two and a half years since then he has worked tirelessly (albeit with apparently complete enjoyment) performing, writing, recording, touring, charity appearances, and more. David has given us more pleasure than we can ever thank him for and now we await (patiently please) the next phase of his career. Oh my goodness, are we ready for that? Let’s just hang in, hold on.

21. jackryan4DA says:

There are actual fans writing him of w/drawing support? WT!!!

When will some of us realize that in the real world, David, the artist does not owe us anything. It is only David, the person that feels he does. And even given that, he has given back so much more w/ 3 albums, numerous tours, v/blogs, interviews, M&G, MOTAB ++++ Of course this is just my opinion. But I hope the peeps who do such things would realize soon that they are just putting more pressure on the guy and worse, creating a disincentive for David to check-in tweets/messages from fans.

Anw, I would just like to re=post my reply to MunkFOD in the prev thread

MunkFOD says:
    03/22/2011 at 2:19 pm

Do you have any background on “Fighting For You” ? When it was written and with whom? just wondering. I love that song.. and thanks for all the great info!

jackryan4DA says:
    03/23/2011 at 3:47 pm

Fighting for You was written by Mike K, Steve Diamond, Guy Roche and David. It was done two weeks prior to the completion of the debut album, along w/ ALTNOY, SOT, & ZG. (these 3 songs have more co-writers)

If I remember correctly, Mike said they wrote the 4 songs in a span of 4 days while the AI Tour was on-going. At times David would do the recording at 2am so most of the time David was dead tired completing his debut album.

In addition to the above, Mike said that they really felt FFY would be a hit but the label didn’t like it. So it is still being shopped for a singer. This was the initial fate of ZG until David showed the label that fans would love it 🙂

• awestruck says:

thank you JR for this info – I would love to see David’s songwriting for others make it’s start!!!

Thanks, JR, I am beyond amazed that they wrote some of my absolutely favourite songs from that time (SOT, ALTNOY & ZG) in 4 days. I saw a tweet from someone the other day who heard ZG for the 1st time in a store and recognized David’s voice & was asking if it had ever been released as a single ‘cuz they thought it could be a hit. 😯

• MunkFOD says:

HI! Thanks so much for the information! You are the greatest! So many great David songs out there! Can’t wait to hear what comes out of that talented mind and heart! thx again!

AMEN TOfan AMEN

23. ray says:

tofan if i knew where you were i would come and give you a big HUGGGG.lol you said what have been thinking after viseting some sites.davi doesent need those fans anyway

24. archangel48 says:

I had this long post started continuing on the rant that TOfan so perfectly stated above. Then I erased it all and came to the realization that I can’t say anymore other than I’m somewhat shamed by the fellow “fans” that would move-on if David doesn’t “get-with-their-program”. WOW! REALLY?
    JR, glad to see you are out-and-about! 😉 Thanks for the information on Fighting For You. I’d like to see that song make somebody some money!

25. Shawna says:

Tofan, just had to add my comment here. AMEN, AMEN and AMEN!! Superbly said, and superbly written! Just wish those that are tweeting anything negative about him would read this! And just go with the flow!! He is happy and that is all that should be important to us:) I will never, ever stop loving who he is and what he stands for! He has taught me more these last three years than I ever could of imagined and his beautiful voice is an added bonus!!!!!!!!

26. SandyBeaches says:

I think that we can dig a little deeper here.

Look at the number of David’s followers on twitter and you will see nearly 600,000. Amongst this number of followers there are many, many thousands who do not understand what they know very little about. In those hundreds of thousands there are fans who are less caring and perhaps more obnoxious than we care to know about. In those hundreds of thousands of fans of all ages are people of different nationalities, different views and differet lifestyles. In this world of ours not much is going just perfect. Well, maybe one we know and that is David.

We don’t know who these fans are who are complaining, maybe they are mad with the world to begin with for their own sorrows. Maybe they are placing their frustrations on someone who has kept them inspired and they need to see him, we don’t know!

Everything is in stages and when people’s futures are looking dim, when thy don’t have religion, or families or friends to give them the inspiration and hope they need, then calling out on line might be their reaction.

Why should we be made to feel guilty when we are not taking away our admiration, our love or our support? Just like a parent with our children, we lose patience at times and that is how relationships happen, how they exist. Certainly I wish that I had more patience, but all of us on all of the sites are kindling the fires of admiration and that will never change. I give my heartfelt thanks to Dakgal last night for her cheerfullness and her enthusiasm as she called our for pictures and videos and it became a most memorable evening.

Just as we talk to our husbands or wives or any family member about another family member and express our concern over what the heck is Bobby or Sue doing with their lives, we are sometimes impatient with David. For those who talk about leaving, let them leave. You always lose fans, but there will be new fans to replace them.

This world right now is an unstable place for so many reasons and people losing their patience is not a surprise.

David is doing what he has been told, what he feels and believes he was put on this earth to do. Dakgal brought this to us last night… enjoy, it will renew your spirit.

SB

Thanks, guys, nice to know I’m not alone! <333

That said, I just want to clarify that I'm not trying to say that just because we're fans that we have pretend to be 100% happy with everything David does 100% of the time at the risk of being called a "bad fan" (in fact, I'm not entirely comfortable with the terms "good fan" or "bad fan" … you're free to love his music and support him any way you like, imo) … and Bella, I totally see your point that fans shouldn't have to feel they need to go into hiding if they have worries or fears to share, heck, we're only human (including David, of course, until proven otherwise 😉 ).

28. heartsong says:

Ok, haven’t even read the other comments cuz I had to come here and say…YES!!!! YES!!!! YES!!!! The meaning of supporting an artist is just that….support! David really does give a lot to his fans and some are never satisfied….always asking…no, demanding more. Am I the only one who finds that not only irritating, but incredibly selfish? He doesn’t have to tell us anything. He doesn’t have to blog or tweet to us. Yet he does. We have no business knowing everything going on with his business…much as we want to. We’ve been very fortunate and speaking personally, sometimes it feels like I’m never going to get to hear that voice in concert again it’s been so long. But, much as I feel like I can’t….I can wait as long as it takes. It’ll be so worth it.

29. SandyBeaches says:

David has had much bigger heartaches in his life than a few fans on twitter or wherever they have been heard.

David has known for a few years now that not everyone believes in him and perhaps we should realize the same and move on with David.

SB

Another wise and love filled post TOfan, thank you once again! Some wonderful comments here. I am going with David’s flow and whatever he needs to do and wants to do at this time, I say go for it David. The guy certainly deserves a break too…he’s been going almost non stop for nearly three years.
    We know that David will be back with his music and what a treat that will be. Is it worth this little wait? You bet your sweet peach pear apricot smoothies it is!

JR, thanks for the info re: “Fighting For You”. One of my favorite unreleased songs of David’s and I think it could have been a hit too. Was actually thinking of that song when reading all this.

“I’m not gonna fade, no I’m not going awayyy…….Can’t you see that no matter what I’m gonna be fighting for youuu”…..With everything I have, fighting for youuu”.

Do love that song and I haven’t heard a recording of it by David but would sure love to. Actually would love anything he blessed us with in song, even “Whataya Want From Me”! I think it’s natural for fans to get impatient but still have that love and support for David. If some leave, I think SandyBeaches is right, new fans will replace them.
    Thanks for your wonderful words TOfan and thankfully there are still a lot of David’s fans who are just not going away, I know I’m not. A great example are the comments here from David’s fabulous, dedicated amazing fans who realize he is so worth the wait, oh yes. 🙂

Love the fan videos posted here…always wonderful to watch. Really thankful for things like videos (we have an arena of videos), tweets, vlogs and all that great stuff. 🙂

31. jackryan4DA says:

The funny thing is I would bet a ton that David misses performing more than we miss him. Music and making others feel good through his music is air to that guy, right? 🙂

SB – you are always the voice, not only of reason, but wisdom. Thanks for your insights.

You know what I have been doing? Still uploading vids to YT! Bahahahaha – I just won’t quit, eh? Just want to complete chronicling David’s journey. Am still in my Pre-Idol Channel (JRforDAI) while maintaining 3 other channels (JRforDA09, JRforDA, JRforDA11)- in that way if the current channel (JRforDA11) is unfortunately clamped down again, I won’t lose all vids and all the wonderful comment on David. It also helps me organize my David files cos I have tons of triplicate files, ohmy hehehehe.

For example, just look at the recent video set I just completed (I think).

05 AIS7 / AIEXTRA / IDOL AFFILIATES / ET / FOX INTERVIEWS

They are all in HD/HQ format 🙂 So if you gander to reminisce, just drop by my channel (and download them!) BTW. if I miss any video that you may have in your collection, please share?

• refnaf says:

Thanks JR! The tireless vid queen!
      You are right, I do forget that David is prob really pumped to get out there and sing again, as much as we want to hear him.

32. jackryan4DA says:

Oooops, here is the link

05 AIS7 / AI EXTRA EXCLUSIVES & OTHER INTERVIEWS (Jan-May 2008)

33. jackryan4DA says:

The link is not showing up, sorry

34. archangel48 says:

JR, Thanks so much for sharing. Your channel of David lovelies is a sure cure for the Archu-drought blues! 😆

Tofan, :).

Instant gratification. I want what I want and I want it now. Seems to be the way of the world today. Not to mention extremely short attention spans. Imagine some are just venting frustration, it doesn’t excuse such thoughtless and selfish behavior. Those that want to move on, I’ll help you pack.

JR, loved Fighting For You from the first listen.

36. Marylee says:

This from Bella : “for some, this wait is fraught with anxiety and uncertainly and they need to talk about it. I just hate that these fans feel like they can’t express their worries/fears without repercussions and have to go into hiding. We are all very different and are handling this situation in unique ways, and I would hope that the general fanbase understands this. I am not talking about the people who are angry, demanding tour RIGHT NOW because they feel ripped off in some way- those are the folks who probably aren’t going to stick around. But for the rest of us who worry, who vent, please be gentle”. <–what she said 🙂

This from me now: Thanks for all those who commented tonight on Deb's thought provoking article. I had no idea there are fans who are threatening to withdraw their support of David openly. That's a shame & might I say that they obviously weren't dedicated fans to begin with. As for me, David owes me nothing. He has brought more joy into my life for the past 3 years than I ever imagined possible. I will be the first to admit that I do talk about how much I look forward to tour & sometimes get overly excited about it but I sure hope he knows it's only because I long to see & hear him again & not because I expect/demand anything from him. To be honest, when he blogged under the banana tree, for a brief moment, I was scared we'd never hear that voice again. It took me days to convince myself, while watching the video over & over again, that it would be OK & what a relief it was when it finally took hold. I would never want to put added pressure on David because I know this is a tremendous undertaking for him right now..a starting over of sorts & it will take time. I hope takes all the time he needs, no matter how long & I hope he knows there will be a strong, dedicated fan base waiting here for him…myself included. Love you, David ❤

• bella says:

Hi Marylee- Sorry if my words came across incorrectly about fans who want tour. I didn’t mean every fan who’s excited/anxious about a David tour. I’m sure we all are! There are some that are very angry with David’s choices because it’s deprived them of tours that were supposed to have happened. (like TOSOD 2010 tour) Some of them feel cheated and are probably amongst the group who are threatening to leave. I’ve seen your posts on FOD, etc. and I know you are a very supportive fan of Mr. Archuleta. 🙂

• Marylee says:

Hi Bella! No..just the opposite! I identified completely with your thoughts ..hence my comment –> “what she said” <– 'cause you said it for me! We truly are all different in the way we handle situations that play on our emotions & this one being a "biggie" for sure. Our devotion to David is overwhelming at times so we just have to handle it the best way we know how. I'm a "venter" & that's not always good when it comes to being a "speck" in a fanbase..one in which peeps may not recognize ones intentions as being heartfelt/sincere. It's all a matter of interpretation when it comes to written thoughts…thank you for yours my dear ❤

Blogs like this are the perfect place for anyone who feels the need to handwring, worry, cry, and squee as needed, things that I often feel the need to do. This is where we can share our “fan angst”.
    IMO the prob comes when fans tweet David about it. He is working hard to get his music career on the path of his choice.
    Waiting is part of the journey and I am glad we can be here together 🙂

38. Marylee says:

refnaf: “waiting is part of the journey” indeed! Wonderful meeting you in York BTW..how SPECIAL was that! 🙂
    ~ where would we be if we didn’t have each other ~the beauty of a caring fan base 🙂

39. MunkFOD says:

Hi Guys! Saw this on another site! oh my gosh… had to share.. Been talking about idol and connecting with the audience… David has a gift! so here is a video from Leicester May 9, 2009… Talk about connecting… ALTOY and Angels! Angels starts about 4 min. this whole performance… both songs… wow…. brought tears… he is sooo good!

• zami says:

When I saw David in the UK, it was hard to believe that he was the opener. He got a fantastic reception by the audience and they didn’t even know who he was or his songs. One of the best part of the show, besides seeing David live for the first time, was to hear everyone singing along to Angels, jumping to Zero Gravity and screaming like they came just for him. It was awsome ! Now I’m nostalgic, I hope David will find a way to come back here !

Great article Tofan ! I’m a fan since AI and only had the chance to see David perform once. But David is really active and present online, we have vlogs almost every week, he tweets everyday except on Sunday, he shares random things with us and he released a CD recently. I think the more he gives, the more the fans want. We are a very spoiled fanbase.
      “Those that want to move on, I’ll help you pack”. I totally agree with you Emmegirl, I’ll be there to help too lol

Zami, that must have been fantastic… the roar of the crowd in that vid and the singing along was just electric … and to think they didn’t know David or his songs beforehand??? wow, just wow

Good news, thanks to David’s last tweet, finally have an event to add to the events calendar in the sidebar!!!

If anyone is lucky enough to be in the area this weekend, this article has deets about tickets! Story HERE.

Interesting tweets today:

@EmanuelKiriakou Great to see @DavidArchie yesterday! Don’t forget to pull the rip chord!!!!!

@FredBronson Fun afternoon with David Archuleta, showing him videos of James Brown, the Rolling Stones, the Doors & Michael Jackson from their early days

Fred Bronson is the Billboard/AI interviewer from a while back. hmmm

• zami says:

I’m not going to lie, I was nervous for David before the show started. I even felt the need to “promote” him to the McFly fans next to me lol. But they surely recognized a real talent when they saw him !

• emmegirl says:

Zami, he had some great performances in the UK. Can’t imagine being there for that Angels. I was a little worried how it would be received cause it was such a huge RW hit over there, but the audiences were all so appreciative and receptive to his performance.

Tofan, the tweets are driving me a little crazy. You can’t help but feel he has some irons in the fire. He has been a very busy bee.

• awestruck says:

zami – thanks for sharing that! Me, I love to hear how David is received where he is not known. More UK promo/tours for David please.

omyheck, Munk (& AnnieDAFG!), what an amazing performance … and that roar from the crowd at the end gave me chills, baby, chills! Just what I need today, thank you!!!

And here’s a brand new video from RSO (longer with more of David! 🙂 ) … so touching…

41. --bianca says:

Well, here I am, the original #badfan ready to take on this post. Probably some tweets that I have made have been seen as exactly what TOFAN is talking about.

Except.

Except that I have never tweeted any of my anxieties directly to David, just my hopes. And I would never withdraw my love for David, nor fail to go to a concert within driving distance (if I find out about it), nor fail to buy his future albums (if I hear about them).

This is indeed a question of “What do I mean by support?”

My fervid fandom has been on the wane during these quiet times. I feel less like supporting the “fanbase” than I ever have, often due to tweets and blogs that imply that if you do not react as the author expects then you are a bad fan. Snarkyarchies before their demise actually called me (and others I was tweeting with) a hater. I’ve received hate tweets. I’ve stopped reading fan sites, except a few times a week; some I haven’t read in months. I’ve stopped voting. I blog seldom because I feel like I’ll be shot at by someone for anything I enjoy doing, for copyright violations or because I did or did not make something free. I can’t bring myself to watch copyright-violating, unwanted by David, fan recordings of David live–and yet David live was my bread-and-butter.

I also feel like no matter how much I’ve done, it’s not been enough. So if I’ve said, “If I don’t get a chance to see David perform soon, I don’t know what I’ll do,” well, maybe I, like so many others, will just move on. Always love David but … not be an active fan. Because, really, what difference do I make?

#badfan out

42. jackryan4DA says:

Bianca – nope, not a bad fan. Just unwise.

{{{{{{{{{{Miss Bianca}}}}}}}}
    I’m sitting here gobsmacked that anyone could send someone as lovely as you hate anything. Although I know there’s a dark side to this fandom thing that’s dark and ugly and nasty, that we never really talk about because, in my view, it’s far outweighed by the good stuff. The fellowship, support and just plain fun.

I think there’s a big difference between someone experiencing “fan fatigue” who wants to go back to being just a casual fan and someone who’s lashing out directly to David (well, through twitter) because he’s keeping to his schedule, not theirs.

As I said up-thread, I don’t like the terms “good fan” and “bad fan” … even if someone is spamming David 24/7, hey, he knows the score & he understands that’s part of being on Twitter … on the flip side, I also don’t think donating $6 gazillion to RSO or blogging or having Jeff on speed-dial makes you a good or better fan than anyone else.

And btw, I never believed what Melinda said about David not wanting concert-goers to videotape his performances (except for those times he specifically asked people not to)… he’s a savvy guy and he knows the power of YouTube (plus, he looks right into the camera & plays to the camera lots of times). So I say, go ahead and watch, for pete’s sake!

Okay, I’m rambling now … but my main point is, if you’ve had enough and it’s just not bringing you joy anymore, then you are totally justified in taking a step back… but you have made a difference to me, and lots of other peeps too, jsyk.

Hi Bianca – personally I have no issues with expressions of frustration such as, “If I don’t get a chance to see David perform soon, I don’t know what I’ll do.” Truth is, at one time or another everyone of us have probably felt that very same way. I think what tofan (hope I’m not putting words in your mouth tofan) is referring to is the “you owe me” tone of some of the tweets and posters. And it may be especially hard for some to swallow considering how giving David is to his fans. Really, it doesn’t matter how giving or not he is, mean spirited tweets to him or anyone else are bad form. I guess it is just an unpleasant by-product of the system.

Blogging, tweeting, commenting on sites can be a precarious way to communicate. Much of it is based on individual interpretation. How can it not be when we don’t have intimate knowledge of one another. Also, as in all things, we won’t please everybody all of the time. A perspective I am sure David understands well. I can just see him reading one of the tweets saying, “aww, that’s too bad,” and then happily immersing himself in his insane burger or peach pear apricot smoothie.

I enjoy reading all the different comments and opinions from all the fan sites. It is kinda like family; it’s not perfect and we have our differences, but we share a common ground that keeps us united. So, I hope you stick around, but mostly, I hope you do what makes ya happy.

45. jackryan4DA says:

From David’s Facebook page:

TV ALERT! David will be singing the National Anthem for the NASCAR Royal Purple 300 on Saturday, March 26 in Fontana, CA. Performance will be live on ESPN 5:30 PM ET / 2:30 PM PT

Gotta love Nascar 🙂

emmegirl, I agree with everything you said in your post and your words (and TOfan’s) kind words to Bianca….very well stated. Ditto, ditto.
    I agree with TOfan and others, the good and thoughtful positive comments far outweigh the comments or tweets of low degree, very fortunately.

Very excited about David performing the NA at Nascar, TV appearance! Nice how someone is updating David’s Facebook quite regularly.
    Interesting tweets too TOfan, something’s up (I think lots of things are up).
    Then there is this tweet, lol:
    briguyx Brian Carroll
    “David Archuleta gave me a hot wing today. Who would have thought his stomach was tougher than mine?”

Brian Carroll is a Celeb interviewer/TV, book researcher apparently.

Loved the RSO volunteer video, just absolutely wonderful. Love what’s happening with the CD gifting too, just awesome. The letters from the Hospitals are so lovely to read. Great projects, great fans and all because of one phenomenal and inspiring young artist. Pretty nice. 🙂

((((Bianca)))))) What Tofan said goes for me too…”you have made a difference to me, and lots of other peeps too, jsyk.”
    I have felt the need sometimes of taking a step back from the “fanbase” and I actually now only go to 2 sites and twit only a few peeps that I know….and I am much happier. Good fan, bad fan is something that is out there but IMO there is only one kind of fan…. any one who appreciate his voice , buys his music when it comes out and goes to see him when he is in their town….The rest is all uber fandom…. which I think we do for ourselves and any angst we feel about it is our own creation. Not sure this makes sense, but it does in my head 🙂

Seeing the RSO vid , man, want to hug everybody….

TOfan, I love your words

emme, you got it exactly right, that “you owe me” attitude is def. what puts me over the edge!

Peppertara, haha, did not see the “hot wing” tweet … the plot thickens! 😆

Refnaf, “The rest is all uber fandom…. which I think we do for ourselves and any angst we feel about it is our own creation” … makes perfect sense to me!

More deets on David singing the Ntl. Anthem at NASCAR: http://www.speedwaymedia.com/?p=8424

(It will air on TSN2 in Canada, click HERE to find the channel in your area.)

Hi Miss Bianca. I enjoyed meeting you last year. I hear the angst in your words. (((Hugs)))

I echo TOfan’s and Emme’s and Ref’s comments.

Cyber commenting doesn’t have the body language or tone of voice information that face to face communications allow which is a big disadvantage, especially when expressing disappointment and fears. When I read your comments I also know, having had the pleasure of meeting you and talking to you in person, who you are as a person, your facial expressions and I am able to add that to what I read when you comment.

It’s one of the limitations of cyber communication, the lack of body language and tone of voice. So for me, you are stating how you feel, cataloging your wishes and disappointments, nothing more. What we say and do is filtered by others perceptions, and it is their perceptions that, in the end, we have to deal with whether it is in cyber world or real life.

I think all of us have evolved over the last 3 years as cyber fans and are in different stages. Nothing stays the same. I have entered and exited a few roles in cyber fan land over that time and have made many friends and learned much. I am definitely in a “less is more” mode as far as involvement and it’s a good place for me currently. I have some pretty strong opinions and I think I’ve made some friends along the way and alienated others—like real life. I chafe, a lot, at some of the attributes of being a “freakish” cyber fan (my term) and as a result, wax and wane at participating in the cyber fan world with great frequency.

Just know that in cyber land you have friends who understand and appreciate your involvement and they will stay friends through thick and thin. And if it’s time to take a hiatus, then do so, we will remember your name when you return.

One thing that is a given, is that David is continuing his career. He too has evolved over the last 3 years which has been the “fun” of it for me to watch and talk to others in cyber land. So maybe in this phase of his career he is recalibrating his communications and how he will let us know about what is going on. He still Tweets and makes vlogs/blogs. That may remain a constant or not. We can like or dislike the changes and voice our reactions to it. It is cyber fan land, after all. And others will react to us.

It’s the journey, and the friends and music is why I keep coming back for more.

• Kizzi says:

Oh, and I meant to add that what I got out of TOfan’s blog above is that we can say what we want but when we tweet to David our disenchantment, our worries, our sense of what he should be doing, etc., he doesn’t have the full context of what we are saying, our intentions, our body language, our facial expressions, and so on. It’s only 140 characters, which is really a written “sound bite.” And so David doesn’t have the full information to understand what is behind each tweeter’s tweet. The tweet stands on its own for most who read it.

I have no idea how seriously David takes tweets but it is my hope that he puts those that he perceives as “negative” in the column of “another’s opinion” and not in the columns of “hurtful” or “need to ponder” or “make a change because of..”

I didn’t tweet much to David early on and I don’t tweet to David now at all. I love that other fans can send their thoughts and feelings and support to him. I also think it can be a good source of feedback for him. That he tweets daily is obviously a sign that he wants to communicate to his fans and that he responds occasionally, a sign that he wants people to tweet to him. And when he replies to a fan’s tweet, well, that fan feels like they won the lottery and I am so happy for them.

I just have to think that after 3 years in the celebrity world spotlight that David has a good sense of what to absorb and what to let bounce off him when it comes to Twitter.

49. MunkFOD says:

HI Miss Bianca! Just wanted to say…you have made a difference in my life! you have brought me many smiles and I appreciate all of your great talent that you have shared with all of us! You have done a ton to support David and all of us. So yeah… you make a difference. I have to admit, I have felt much like you…”why bother”… “what difference do I make anyways.” I understand. And there have been times when I wanted to just forget the whole fan thing.. but… I am pulled back. There are great people in the “David family” that I would miss, and I feel that David needs all of us. So I hope you don’t go away… you are loved and appreciated.

50. MunkFOD says:

PS… just have to clarify something! I would NEVER stop supporting David! ever! I will support him as long as I am breathing… so….just wanted to clear that up in case anyone was wondering! 🙂

51. Tropical Angel says:

Wow Tofan , you have the power to make a commenter out of this lurker…What a way of making sense, keeping perspective without lusing your sense of humor…

52. --bianca says:

Thanks for all the kind words!

Deb, you were the first one ever to point out to me that David does “play for the camera” during his concerts. Perhaps I will rethink my position on not watching videos.

I agree that any “uber fan” stuff we do for ourselves. I started this with the hope that my avid support of David could make a difference to his success. And you know, it doesn’t matter how much I’ve gifted, how many goodies I’ve made, or how many polls I’ve voted in, I can’t tell if I’ve made a dang bit of difference! But to individuals, yes, I have, and I appreciate you all so much.

The sun is out here in Seattle and maybe that will help my SAD go away, too. My resilience has been way down. I used to really look to David as a role model for that–you could actually see him shake off comments he didn’t think helped him (whether too negative, too stupid, or too gushing). Need to watch some of those interviews again.

53. Marylee says:

Bianca ~ Would just like to ‘echo’ the thoughts of everyone else & send you some virtual (((hugs))) ❤

As if I didn’t already love MTV’s Jim Cantiello, check this out! (thanks, JR!!!)

• Kizzi says:

Poor JambaJim (or is that “LUCKY JambaJim?!!”) Resistance is futile. Yep, he’s been infected by the ArchuVirus and there is no alternative, A-B-solutely no other OPTON but to ENJOY to the MAXIMUM the heady fun of being a David Archuleta fan. 😀

Looking forward to the N.A. at NASCAR. Gotta love that David is performing at a national event….my SPEC-U-LA-METER is running rampant as to how he got the booking??!! Woo Hoo to whomever got that booking!

NASCAR fans brim-meth over the cup of all USA fans.

Good stuff.

55. desertrat says:

I’m late to the party but I just wanted to say that I always enjoy reading this blog. I literally laughed out loud when I read this line:

“Think you deserve a front-row-seat for confidential career negotiations and strategic planning that could affect the course of David’s career?”

My response is “no” but boy would I like to be a fly on the wall. 🙂

After three years of ODD, I no longer visit the websites while I’m at work because my job performance was suffering, lol. On twitter, I’m jingyjangy2 and I follow quite a few of you including bianca. I think of all of you as “#wonderful.dedicated.fans” and I follow you because your tweets of David-related links, expressions of concern, etc., provide me with quick updates on the happenings in the fandom. On several occasions I’ve read negative comments re. something I said on a blog. My lesson learned was that for every action, there’s a reaction. I’ve learned to curtail my comments and stay out of some conversations altogether.

Enough of my rambling. Great post TOfan!

• awestruck says:

desertrat HI – can I be a fly on the wall next to you, LOL. Naw, I’m really OK to get it whenever David lets us know…

Ramble away any time!

56. knotliser says:

Deb,

While I have continued to enjoy your posts from the beginnings of this blog, this one brought me out of deep lurkitude to express my utmost admiration and respect for you. Your witty, heartfelt, clear and to the point writing is inspiring. The love for David always shines through and will keep me reading as long as you care to express yourself while stating so succinctly what many of us are thinking but can’t or don’t find the words to say. My appreciation extends to all who do post here both regularly and infrequently. My respect for David grows exponentially. I am waiting as patiently as I can for his future to unfold and look forward to the day when I may enjoy his sublime voice and presence again in the company of virtual strangers who I have come to think of as friends. Hugs and warm spring wishes to you!

{{{knotliser}}} and {{{desertrat}}}
      wow, so great to *see* you guys! Thank you so much for de-lurking! I just got home from my aunt’s funeral/wake and I can’t tell you how much you guys have cheered me up! (along with getting the tweet on my phone that David posted a vlog! 🙂 )

Ramble away, anytime! lol And hugs & spring wishes to you, too!

Desertrat, I’d love to be that fly on the wall too, lol, maybe when Chords of Strength, Volume XII comes out some day! 😆

knotliser, “I am waiting as patiently as I can for his future to unfold and look forward to the day when I may enjoy his sublime voice and presence again in the company of virtual strangers who I have come to think of as friends.” omyheck yes!!!! 🙂

NASCAR Vlog – 😀 ….Vroom, vroom, vroom…..

National Anthem – NASCAR

New NASCAR post/thread! Thanks, Kizzi!!!!

🙂