Reflections on management

How can a window encompass perfection? (Source: thedavidarchuleta.tumblr.com)

The Plea

Please don’t shake your head in disgust, suck on a lemon, or throw tomatoes just from reading the title – 😀

The Insight

I know virtually nothing about the business side of the music world, but I know what I feel after observing David Archuleta’s journey from American Idol to now.

This short sentence from David’s “thank yous” in the TOSOD liner notes gave me pause and got me thinking:

“[Thank you to] Jeff Fenster for listening to my voice as it began to come out more during this project…” An odd kind of statement with no basis for reference, but I reflected that if Jeff Fenster was willing to allow this to happen — for David to “find his voice” — by giving him the time to collaborate with the variety of talented people he did, then he must have faith in the talent that David is.

Further to this, when I began to list all of the things that seemed to support this idea, I was amazed.  So much has happened to bear witness to the overall grow that David has exhibited since AI and most recently:

• Musically (stage-presence wise at the Majestic in Dallas to his non-embarrassed acknowledgement of Orla Fallon’s statement about him being America’s greatest new singing sensation)
  • AND his growth in maturity (more confidence that has resulted from personal growth and experience as well as the continuing emergence of self-belief all driven by his positive attitude/outlook).

Would you buy a used car from this man? um, in a heartbeat (Photos: http://www.archuletaweb.com)

The List – Spanning both managements

• Allowing him to try different musicians as exhibited by changing band members.
  • As I alluded to above, by giving him the time and opportunity (especially in Nashville) to co-write 10 of the 12 songs on TOSOD.
  • Keeping his name and face out there enough so he doesn’t get lost in the swarming masses of new artists and maintaining his existing fan base while developing new fans at a slow pace along the way; by getting him involved in numerous different kinds of events/promotions.
  • Ongoing charity events – the list is extensive.
  • Speaking at the Utah Women’s Conference.
  • Jingle Balls/Bashes, Tree Lightings, Parades/Radio promo.
  • Acting appearances in Hannah Montana and iCarly.
  • Ongoing Radio Interviews and TV appearances.
  • Tours: Solo / McFly /Demi Lovato / CFTH
  • ALMA Awards.
  • Alaska State Fair.
  • Ann Arbor Symphony Orchestra Concert.
  • Billboard Live Concert.
  • Chords of Strength
  • Philippines twice.
  • TCA presenter twice.
  • Apple Corporate Party.
  • AI Finale Pre-Party.
  • Capitol 4th.
  • Tejano Music Awards.
  • Idolator – David meets Alison Sudol of A Fine Frenzy.
  • Cambio Chat and Saturday Night On Line.
  • Orla Fallon’s PBS Christmas.
  • Big Cats by Nat Geo Wild

Also, because of the wide range of appearances/events that David has been asked to perform for, this shows me that management is not trying to peg him into one genre.

Add to all of this three albums since AI.

(Source: illkeepsearchingformkop.tumblr.com)

Management also seems to be aware of the fact that radio play is no longer going to be the most essential factor in creating “a star,” rather touring/performance/web presence… are all becoming the new benchmarks.  I would say that this is where David will shine given the fact that he is such an outstanding performer and management has certainly played to David’s strength.

Experiences in life lead us to the place we are meant to be — even if we don’t understand or agree with the path.  I concur with those who believe that David “has a plan” and he accepts the course and any changes in it that may occur along the way.

And, as I see it, David is still finding himself; so, thank you management for having the faith and the patience in supporting him to do so.

Side note

Has anyone considered the possibility that David has asked his management to take things slowly?  Knowing that to him instant fame and recognition are the exact opposite of what David strives for?  David desires to be around for a long time by making an impact.  Farfetched? Possibly, but it is still a possibility.  And, if you take the time to reflect on the above list, I truly wonder if he could have been any busier.

Awestruck

This entry was posted in Fan experience and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Reflections on management

Awesome post, Awestruck! When you list all of David’s main gigs and accomplishments like that, it is rather impressive. 😆

It’s interesting, when I read: “[Thank you to] Jeff Fenster for listening to my voice as it began to come out more during this project…” I thought David meant that he began to speak up for himself concerning the direction of the album, and other decisions, and that Fenster supported him in that. But I like your take too!

Reposting the hilarious vid JR posted at the end of the last thread:

Thanks for a really good post awestruck. Very interesting to reflect on David’s musical career and how much more he has become ‘in control’ of it really. I agree with you that David is most likely going at his own pace and with what feels right to him as he continues to ‘find himself’. He has so many experiences and opportunities up ahead and his inner guidance, wisdom and faith is strong. I really like this:
    I so agree. There is an interesting write up on NPR and how radio play is not necessarily the most significant factor anymore in the popularity of an artist and their music. That certainly applies to David.

…and yes, looking at David’s schedule, he has certainly been busy. Even with all the great charity shows that he does, I would call him gainfully and successfully employed!

By the way the video of “Totally didn’t go only to see David Archuleta” is hilarious. Made me laugh…too funny!

On a more serious note, had to mention what I just heard on my local Christmas radio station. They were taking call in requests ( I had just turned on the radio) when I heard a male caller phone in to request David’s ‘O Holy Night’ for his wife. He explained that his wife is in the hospital, very ill with cancer and may not make it to Christmas. She very much wanted to hear David’s O Holy Night. Well, after I heard that request and the sensitivity in the caller’s voice and then to hear David’s soothing, healing voice…I felt like David was singing this beautiful song just for this woman, whoever she is. I wish her and her husband much peace and needless to say It left me in a mess of tears.
    It all just reminded me how truly comforting and soothing David’s voice and his spirit through his music truly is. Bless him for that and bless this woman.

Morning Angelz…. Great job awestruck! Amazing to see all the things that David has been up to in a list> Impressive!
    “Management also seems to be aware of the fact that radio play is no longer going to be the most essential factor in creating “a star,” rather touring/performance/web presence… are all becoming the new benchmarks. I would say that this is where David will shine given the fact that he is such an outstanding performer and management has certainly played to David’s strength.”<<< This maked sense to me. The idea of slow and steady for a loooong career is a good one in my mind.
    "I concur with those who believe that David “has a plan” and he accepts the course and any changes in it that may occur along the way" Ditto!

Peppertara *sniff* what a story. "It all just reminded me how truly comforting and soothing David’s voice and his spirit through his music truly is. " Yes, Yes and Yes!

peppertara, your story’s left me in a mess of tears too… it seems when all hope is gone, David’s music offers a lifeline to help bring it back… oh my.

I loved emmegirl’s comment at the end of the last thread, so bringing over here (plus, another excuse to post that incredible Denver TOSOD vid):

“That TOSOD… he is like some kind of melodic maestro. How does he do that?????? I am beginning to believe his entire body… from the top of his bedhead to the tip of his leather-tennied toe… is one big beautiful instrument of music. When he gets a paper cut I imagine musical notes floating out.
    and I hope some day we get some of that r&b”

6. SandyBeaches says:

Awestruck…I enjoyed your post immensely this morning amid the snowflakes! You are so respectful of David when you summarize him and his performances etc.

We hear more and more confirmations of his voice requested for healing and it does just that.

I am so pleased that the crazy video was brought over to the article as it is absolutely great. Just how many thousands are out there who never expected to enjoy David’s singing when they finally heard it maybe not by choice?

I am leaving for SLC early Wednessday morning and if there is anything exciting going on, I will pass it along.

All the best to everyone during the holidays! Even though it is a task these days to have schedules that connect in our families…I hope that you have a good time keeping the traditions of Christmas alive and wonderful.

SB

Interesting thoughts Awestruck.

I believe David’s career has a solid foundation given his talent and that he has his hands in enough genres that at any moment one can escalate in terms of sales and appearances.

I heard Ryan Tedder recently when he and One Republic performed their song “Secrets” (from their album ‘Waking Up’ released in USA in Nov 2009 and “Secrets” is currently #28 on Billboard 100 and been on it for only 24 weeks) on Jay Leno. He said it now takes television exposure, that tv is where it’s at, to get a song to chart now. And this from someone who has high credibility and success in the music industry. He has an interesting background having won a MTV contest to get a recording contract (which didn’t happen) in 2000 (at age 21.) He writes for himself and others (Bleeding Love is one of his), he produces, he has his own band, One Republic, he tours (right now with Maroon 5), he started his own label in 2009, he sang demos and produced them for songwriters and labels early in his career. “Secrets” was prominently used in the 2010 film The Sorcerer’s Apprentice and in promotional material for the TV series Pretty Little Liars and Nikita and was featured in 90210 as well. It is also used as the music for Polo’s “The Big Pony Collection” men fragrance.

I believe someone reported hearing David’s “Good Place” on a TV show.

Again, there is so much more than what we see going on in David’s career. And, I think he has a rock solid launching pad.

Thanks for a great read and food for thought.

Morning everyone!

TOfan – that’s what I love about this site – our different ‘take’ on things. It makes me think. As you said “David began to speak up for himself concerning the directions of the album…” I was thinking of the ‘different’ voice that Eman? encouraged to him to use for Falling Stars. Your interpretation makes more sense though.

Peppertara – thanks for that NPR link… I was looking for it.
    Oh the power of THE VOICE, tears here as well when I read story. “It all just reminded me how truly comforting and soothing David’s voice and his spirit through his music truly is” that it is. My Mom has gone through a ‘bad spell’ over the last couple of weeks and I wonder if this will be that last Christmas we will have with her. She is stubborn though, lol, and hopefully this is just a little blip.

Refnaf – David’s charity list is equally impressive…

SB – thank you for your kind words. Safe travels and “if there is anything exciting going on” please keep notes! 🙂

Rumors of R&B/soul ??? Bring in ON

Emmegirl – I missed your comment “When he gets a paper cut I imagine musical notes floating out.” This would not surprise me at all!

Kizzi – “I think about his management and label as a part of what it takes for him to achieve the success he desires and it is a learning experience as is most of life, both career and personal, for any of us. And I believe we fans see just the tip of the proverbial “iceberg,” in that we see what has been made visible by David and his Management & Label and those working with him; and there is so much more going on below that line that demarcates what is for fan consumption and what is kept private.”
    Undoubtedly so.

Very interesting about Ryan Tedder – so REFNAF’s wish to have David’s voice on a Pixar movie would sit well here – and my wish could be that he write some of the songs for it as well!

Sorry this is so long, one last thing. At 13:25 of the video which will reach a new audience… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXcPN9vIr4Q

awestruck! Amazing post! And SUCH an impressive list 😀 As I was reading it, I became extremely proud of David and what’s he’s accomplished so far, and how’s he’s handled everything. And all the flying all over the country and meeting new people that goes along with everything on that list (both things I am not particularly good at) makes me admire him even more. I would actually be a ball of stress if I had to do even half the things on this list!

And you are absolutely right about the “slow and steady”. Pretty sure all the fans who are here now, are not going anywhere. So eventually he’s work his way up. 🙂

• awestruck says:

that David overcame his shyness – did not let it miss opportunities – is one of the things that I have always admired most about him. What courage…

Some great comments and interesting food for thought here. Loved emmegirl’s comments too..just perfect! (must have missed that from the last post).
    awestruck….your story about your Mom is pretty much the same for my Mother. She thinks this will be her last Christmas and I am really hoping..not. Like your Mom she is strong willed and stubborn however. I think that keeps her going…long past what the doctors expected. She listens to David’s music too and enjoys it (his Christmas album), makes me happy. Wish the best for both Moms.
    Great promo from “BeautyAddict101” in that video. Good plug for David’s album!
    abanana….I would be a ball of stress too if I had David’s itinerary (even if I was 20).
    He has much to feel good about, think his fans all beam with pride over David. 🙂

So Jingle Ball Star 94 last night in San Diego:

TOSOD

FS

Sorry TOfan..

silent Night

Elevator

1st Noel

Hope this works

Thanks, Awestruck, the audio from those vids from ThinkOfMeArchie is amazing … is it just me or does David’s voice sound especially velvet-chocolately incredible there?!? And the soulful groove he’s been getting into onto TOSOD is blowing me away… mama mia… Acoustic David FTW!!!!

Download mp3 of First Noel HERE (courtesy of @nareejo!). … still recovering from that note he holds. Whoah.

Love TOSOD more and more everytime he performs it! Amazing!!

And the Silent Night <3. "That's not a Christmas song" Hahahah so funny!

Speaking of management… Melinda tweeted this pic of tonight’s rehearsal. *chills*

motab rehearsal

Great videos from San Diego, thank Awestruck, love those fans who manage to get them. I agree TOfan….
    “does David’s voice sound especially velvet-chocolately incredible there?!? And the soulful groove he’s been getting into onto TOSOD is blowing me away… mama mia… Acoustic David FTW!!!!” Yes, yes! Oh…and love the sidebar with all the goodies!

Exciting to see the picture of rehearsal with the MOtab. Wow, can only imagine the incredible sounds and feelings that will be projected when it all happens live.
    To those of you who are going to see David with the MOtab choir….enjoy every heavenly moment, I know you will have a once in a lifetime experience that will stay with you always, enjoy it to the max! What a special event for David too. ❤

The MoTab rehersal pic – I can’t even imagine…

awestruck, what a wonderful article. I don’t know think he ever imagined when he auditioned for AI that a few short years later he would have such a list of accomplishments.

To me he really seemed to take a huge leap in confidence and acceptance of his talents after working on this album. I often wondered about all the incredible, positive feedback he must have been getting from all of those talented songwriters about his obvious gifts.

kizzi, “And I believe we fans see just the tip of the proverbial “iceberg,” in that we see what has been made visible by David and his Management & Label and those working with him; and there is so much more going on below that line that demarcates what is for fan consumption and what is kept private.”… think so too!

TOfan, that TOSOD is something else, can’t get enough of that!

(and that blue sweater pic of business David, never seen that…thank you 🙂 )

The First Noel is nothing short of glorious. And I love how several times you can hear the “wow’s” from those in the audience.

It also thrills me that he was part of a such a talented group of performers (and quite a bit older group, ages 26-32) at last night’s acoustic concert. I think it speaks volumes about his maturity as a performer…which, to quote jambajim, “is decades beyond his age.”

Starting to get the jitters of excitement for Motab.

Random post. Food for thought. This has over 700,000 views.

• awestruck says:

thanks for you comment emmiegirl

I have always loved ZG and so cool to see over 700,000 views whoo hoo!

20. jackryan4DA says:

Selected Pix from Star 94.1’s Gallery set to DA’s live rendition of TFN (cr hannicaid for audio)

I figured TheVoice & TheLook would be one of the nice ways to spread the holiday cheers 🙂

21. jackryan4DA says:

Very interesting info here esp re songs that would not have made it to the album, had David not pushed back the releasedate

PART 1

PART 2

22. jackryan4DA says:

OK, this isn’t funny anymore (scratches head). How come some links work and others dont when I use the same method? Hmmmmm…

ANW, this is from @starrynites01 – Enhanced audio of David’s San Diego full Anthology set 12.13.10 –

Thanks, JR!!!! What amazing interviews, were you asking any of those great questions? The North American media could take a lesson from you guys, that’s for sure. Loved that he fought to get Good Place where he wanted it to be so it could be on the record… and STR is my 2nd favourite song, so glad he pushed out the release date. If Jive was really ready to release it without STR, GP and FS, it makes me question their judgment even more than I already do.

You can listen to David’s interview with M106.5 Cleveland HERE. “Mom, are we having any sweets for Christmas ….?” 😆 😆 😆

Lots of amazing videos, interviews…..David continues to be a very busy boy! Love the roundtable interviews….just love his talk about clothes, how he relates to others, the songs that did make the album (barely) and love the ending on part two, aw David.

JR, thanks for the great videos, love them all. Emmegirl, ZG is a big hitter! With over 1200 comments too, David is a Youtube star, no doubt.
    Love the Cleveland interview….yes, had to ask Mom if she is serving any sweets, haha.
    David did quite a few interviews this morning, listened to a few but can’t remember what was said from what! All sweet and very David, loved his talk about Vegas too and the New Years Eve show, no kissing at midnight, haha, the spirit of sharing time with others at Christmas, the Motab concert. ❤ What a joy he is.

Safe travels everyone if you are heading to SLC, I know you will have a heavenly time.

25. archiesfan4life says:

Hi to all my friends on Snow Angelz – I am leaving tomorrow for Utah! I still am having a hard time believing this is truly happening! I promise to share every little detail with you. I will be taking all of you with me in spirit.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}
    AF4L

PS I am looking forward to meeting everyone who is going to be at the breakfast. See you on Saturday!

That pic of David with the Motab did me in…..in terms of what this is going to be like> my head is not able to wrap around it, but my heart is ready….. Indescribable I am sure. Sublime I am sure. Anticipation in overdrive!!!