The David Archuleta Galaxy

A time-lapse exposure captures the streaks made by stars over sandstone formations in Utah. (Photo: Bruce Dale, National Geographic.)

Many of today’s superstars have risen, exploded onto the scene really, only to burn out like a supernova. Burning with an intensity that is fast, furious, and eventually forgotten – except perhaps for the notoriety surrounding their explosive, destructive and fatal fall. Their tenure in the music industry results in a fleeting glimpse into a world unrelated to who they actually were as people.

I believe that David Archuleta’s star, on the other hand, will be defined in a totally different way.  Like a star in our heavens – appropriate, huh? – the core will be built to burn with intensity almost as bright as the supernova, but with staying power based on a consistency of generated power and heat fueled by almost limitless energy. The rise will be slow and steady yet lasting – one fan, one stage hand, one charity organizer, one fellow musician, one critic at a time.

David staying true to himself by grounding himself with his sense of family, drawing from the faith that propels him and displaying the humility inherent in him will make a very significant difference by allowing him to maintain a single identity on and off the stage.  Meld all of this with his exceedingly generous spirit and you have a musician who absolutely loves doing what he is doing, has a strong sense of self and follows his dream for the sake of others before his own.

No matter the slow pace, those he touches will become part of the nebulous cloud that will ignite his star as it radiates its heat outward reaching out to those whose closed hearts have not yet woken.

awestruck

P.S. Pausing for station identification … AND SPAZZING OVER BOB CRATCHIT’S TREE LIGHTING TOSOD… “oh no oh no oh no HAH!” … asdlfkjkfjlkzfjgkjagh a;lkajglkajhglka; … carry on.

P.P.S. National Geographic Star Trails image from HERE. reoracer vid from HERE.

This entry was posted in Fan experience and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

71 Responses to The David Archuleta Galaxy

awestruck….lovely cosmic post! Ah yes, the David galaxy, a wonderful heavenly body of light, love, voice and spirit. “No matter the slow pace, those he touches will become part of the nebulous cloud that will ignite his star as it radiates its heat outward reaching out to those whose closed hearts have not yet woken.” Just love that, so very true and well expressed!
    He really is planting a glimmer of light in one heart at a time until it they can’t deny it’s glow and warmth.
    Tonight at the Grove in LA he shared that light with nearly 20,000. I’m sure he touched many more hearts in that crowd and blessed them with that glory voice of his.

Many wonderful videos from the Ft Wayne concert too. Love TOSOD vid! David also took the time to talk with a 91 yr old fan in the crowd and to thank her, he appreciates all and shares his heart and gratitude with them. Makes my heart smile bigtime. What a privilege and a pleasure to part of “the nebulous cloud” that helps ignite his star.
    Loved your wonderful post, thanks for sharing. 🙂

2. Katheryn says:

Beautifully put, awestruck. I’d much rather David have a slow building, long lasting career than one that burns out too quickly for whatever reason. Still, I have to admit I don’t like it when those without even 1% of his talent receive the attention and therefore the sales he so deserves. To calm myself down, I simply remember that in the period since A.I. ended, David has matured both physically and emotionally in such a way that those aspects of his life are now catching up with the musical maturity he already possessed. His business savvy has also grown. All of these are coming together to form a very solid and secure base to one heck of a career.

I’ve been thinking along the same lines, Katheryn. That this “slow build” could be a blessing in disguise as it gives David time to grow as a songwriter, to learn more about the business side of the business, to get more experience performing and handling the press, and also to find his “voice” outside of singing… speaking up and standing up for himself, as we’ve seen recently!

A slight word revision to the final paragraph. Please read as:

“No matter the slow pace, those he touched will become part of the nebulous cloud that will eventually ignite his star that will continue to radiate its heat outward – reaching out to those whose closed hearts have not yet woken.”

TOfan oh TOfan as I read THIS ““oh no oh no oh no HAH!” … asdlfkjkfjlkzfjgkjagh a;lkajglkajhglka” I fully expected to see David trip and try to catch his footing, fall and instead of singing ‘down, down, oh oh down down’ sing ““oh no oh no oh no” and then HAH as he ends up on his butt on the stage BWAHAHAHA!!

What a fantabulous version of TOSOD – may I respectfully request an MP3? I would love to have this on my ipod… please and thank you!

… carry on

((((awestruck)))) ditto!!!!
    ” The rise will be slow and steady yet lasting – one fan, one stage hand, one charity organizer, one fellow musician, one critic at a time.” <<< and that's ok with me, I plan on being here as long as I am able!
    I think that the fact that David does not go for the "stage performer" persona and is just himself when he performs is so refreshing in the pop realm, so refreshing that they don't know what to do with him. Perhaps they have tried to hire him a swagger coach, dancers, choreographers, costume changes etc. and I can imagine David's response "I'm just David and I want to sing" lol!
    Awestruck this is beautifully written. thank you!

Me too, Ref!!!

Here’s Melodies of Christmas from last night (and other vids in the “Must See” sidebar) … not gonna lie, love seeing David & all those snowflakes! 🙂

• Sunshine says:

On man – I love this vid. There’s nothing like a good ole fashioned Christmas hunkerdown!

Awesome post, awestruck! Love your “slow burn” theory! I didn’t bother watching the AMAs last night but heard that many of the “supernova” live performances fell flat … and they wonder why concert ticket sales are down? Not only is David one of the few live performers who exceeds expectations in his shows, but as you point out, he has staying power “based on consistency.”

I was fortunate to be able to attend a Jamie Oliver “The Naked Chef” cooking demo/Q&A session last week (3,000 peeps to see him!). And when a guy in chef school asked his secret to success, Jamie talked about his family as well as “relationships and consistency.” I saw a lot of commonalities with David …very humble, down to earth, family focused, and not interested in the “supernova” trappings of fame, but in making a positive difference in the world. … sorry, sorta got off topic there! LOL

7. ray says:

the ama last night were a total JOKE

Eman tweeted that his friend Kristin (aka IceCreamKPie) took these vids from the Ft. Wayne tree lighting (great audio!) … Complain has really grown on me, love it now!!!

Awestruck – I love this post! And It’s completely true and I’ve thought about it alot. Every time you hear a story about some DJ, or interviewer or backstage helper or friend of a fan who gets blown away by David’s genuine heart and/or talent I think about how he is slowly working his way up. He impresses pretty much everyone he meets and that’s the way you gotta do it. David’s star will shine forever, whether he is ever as famous as others doesn’t even matter.

Refnaf – “<<< and that's ok with me, I plan on being here as long as I am able!" Me too! I've wondered a lot about whether I would eventually lose interest in David. Because for me, this is not my first obsession. In high school I was really obsessed with a TV show, where I would follow what the actors were doing, reading about spoilers, rewatch all the episodes tons of times and know the names of all the episodes, go on internet forums and discuss. A lot like this. And eventually it went away. I still watch the show, but not like that at all. And before that when I was younger I would get obsessed with specific games/movies/toys really bad. And they all went away. But I have a feeling this one is not going away. I've actually thought about this a lot. And I think what the difference is, is that none of my other obsessions made me re-evaluate what I valued in life, what I thought was important. None of the other obsessions would make me want to be a better person. All my other obsessions were just for fun, something to do, but David fills me with joy and makes my heart almost explode. And I think my friends/family don't really get it, because they knew about my other obsessions, and think it's the same thing. But I don't think it is.

Sorry I am rambling. Off to watch those tree lighting vids!

• refnaf says:

((((abanana)))) thanks for sharing this!
      I think it is so true that this is something different and special. I have never been a “fanatic” ever…. and when David happened to me, I was rather shocked. I think your reasons ring true. David affects our lives in real and practical ways…. what other artist does that?? Supporting David is much more than something to do!!

10. rose says:

AAhhhhhhh, David Archuleta singing Christmas carols, especially love it with the accompaniment on his Christmas album. He’s my AMA artist of the year!!!!! You can have Beiber. I agree that David will have staying power, but I wish he were faster getting to the starting gate. I feel like the world is missing out not hearing all of the wonderful carols on last year’s album. I sure thought it would be really popular this year. Please request, request, and request……..

11. Tawna21 says:

awestruck,
    I love your words. I agree, David will last, his star will shine long after many have burned out. I do get very frustrated with the local radio stations (I’m in Utah) and the fact that they just aren’t playing his songs. Why? For goodness sakes, he’s one of our own!! I’ve sent in multiple requests to my local stations, but all I ever hear (and that is just occasionally) is Crush–which is good, but not his new ones. Oh well, we will just keep supporting him in any way possible and loving what he is doing and what he is all about. :)))

Tawna

• awestruck says:

Tawna21 – HI… that’s all we can do – continue to support David in any way we can. I no longer get upset when I hear that radio stations fail to support David by playing his songs (he doesn’t get played here either despite my efforts), Jive not marketing him the ‘right’ way… his time will come and I am just going to enjoy what comes along the way.

peppertara – “What a privilege and a pleasure to part of “the nebulous cloud” that helps ignite his star.” That it is indeed.

Kathyrn – David does have to grow into the role I think… If there is only one thing that I take away from all of this is that I now believe in Blind Faith – not that I don’t think we can’t take charge of our own destinies, but there are some things that are going to be no matter what you do in this life. David will succeed; his message is too powerful to be ignored.

refnaf – thanks! I will be that 91 year old in a wheelchair some day for sure!

TOfan – off topic, yet on topic. It is great that we can take inspiration from more than one source.

ray – I didn’t watch the AMA’s. I just can’t seem to get into those award shows anymore. I remember watching them faithfully when I was younger – so sad that what they have come to represent.

abanana – you bring up something that I too have given much thought to – “But I have a feeling this one is not going away. I’ve actually thought about this a lot. And I think what the difference is, is that none of my other obsessions made me re-evaluate what I valued in life, what I thought was important.” When something make you THINK about life, what is important, what is to be valued… well, you said it. Sometimes I get scared when I think about how often I focus on David’s actions and how they make me want to change my own. It’s like I have this little image of David in my head prompting me to be better, do better, etc. Somehow I don’t think of this THING I have with David’s image is an obsession, rather a compulsion.

Rose – It’s hard to not want EVERYONE to hear David sing, especially the Christmas carols isn’t it?

Thanks everyone for your comments!

awestruck, have to second abanana77’s “I love this post.” What a terrific piece.

This, “allowing him to maintain a single identity on and off the stage” …I love the simplicity and intuitiveness of this sentence. What you said rings so true for an artist such as David who relates to music so deeply and so personally.

and thanks for that TOSOD!

14. Sunshine says:

Awestruck – your post was out of this world :). There’s no doubt that if David just keeps putting one foot in front of the other and staying true to himself he will reap the rewards. And so will his fans. I know that the strong connection I feel to David is based on respect. He’s his own man just doing what he loves (brilliantly). Although he’s the real deal I do think that he’s competitive at heart and he is striving for some measure of commercial success. But I also believe what is meant to be, will be. It would just be nice to see someone with his chops up there on the awards dias among all the youtube-generated, vocally challenged adolescents. But, can’t complain.

• refnaf says:

((sunshine)) “It would just be nice to see someone with his chops up there on the awards dias among all the youtube-generated, vocally challenged adolescents” lol, and YES!!!

• awestruck says:

I gree Sunshine about David being competitive – knows that to continue to be able to do music he needs some commercial success and by commercial success he would also know that he is reaching more and more people. And, maybe, that competitveness is inherent in all of us – who wouldn’t want to know they are successful at what they do.

‘you-tube generated vocally challenged adolescents’ … yup, I’m still really glad that I didn’t watch the AMA’s

I’ve thought about that too sunshine. Commercial success is not his primary goal, but we all strive for financial security and to be rewarded for the hard work that we do (and no one works harder than he does.) And it makes many things in his business so much easier. I know he will get to that place, that place we all know he deserves to be, unfortunately I don’t get to decide the timetable.

Interesting interview from AsianewsChannel>>>
    On promo>>>”Can I just sing, and whoever wants to listen, can listen.” Oh my heck, David!!!
    And collaborations with Bruno Mars and Indie Arie??!!!

SINGAPORE : “I don’t think I want to wear my face on a T-shirt,” chuckled the down-to-earth cheerful, bubbly David Archuleta, when a fan offered him a fan club T-shirt.

Archuleta who was in town recently, mesmerized his small, select audience at Zouk with an acoustic performance of a selection from his newly released album “The Other Side of Down” such as “Elevator”, “Something ‘Bout Love”, “My Kind of Perfect” and “The Other Side of Down”.

The 2008 American Idol runner-up blew audiences away with his vocals and went on to release a self-titled first album hit “Crush” which raced to No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100, the week of its 2008 release.

“The Other Side of Down” is already a fast-seller, but whether it will be as successful as the “David Archuleta” album which saw 900,000 albums sold worldwide, remains to be seen.

Archuleta may have fans worldwide who know every detail of the 19-year-old and every song he’s sung, but he still seems to wear stardom uncomfortably.

Catching up with the teen at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel, Archuleta revealed he has thought of asking someone else to do his album promotion, because all he wants to do is sing!

“I mean soft promotion and stuff, has been something I have to learn because I think it’s so weird,” said Archuleta.

“Can I just sing, and whoever wants to listen, can listen.

“I think it’s a weird thing, I wished other people could do it for me, but it’s part of the business I guess,” he chuckled.

Despite being in singing competitions at an early age, Archuleta never thought that he would be a recording artiste until he joined “American Idol”.

“I started learning how [singing professionally] worked and stuff, I didn’t realise how much went into it until ‘American Idol’ though. That’s where I was like, “Ohh, this is what I’m getting into.”

Two years on, the Teen Choice Award breakout artiste who once faced partial vocal paralysis still seems in awe of how far he’s come with his gifted ability and what the bottom line is for him.

“Even a few years ago, I just kinda felt like, well, maybe I’m not cut out, maybe it’s not for me, maybe it won’t happen, but life had different plans.

“I mean, you never know how something can last. I mean it could all end in six months you know, who knows. But whether the success and that kind of notoriety still last, I would still always do music, because that’s what I love.”

Future plans for the Utah resident includes touring, live shows and radio appearances, as well as collaborations hopefully with Bruno Mars or Indie Arie.

A love song with his favourite idol, Natasha Bedingfield, would make it all perfect, but as to what is “My Kind of Perfect” which Archuleta sketches in his song of a perfect girl, the Latino is only sure of one thing – “you have to be patient”.

“I will keep searching… it’s not like I’m waiting for the perfect person, I think those imperfections are important too, and embracing those quirks to people, you know?”

What that means is that fans of the teen heart-throb can keep on swooning and dreaming.

– CNA/ht

refnaf – in-ter-es-ting article and yes all he wants to do is to just sing!

TOfan, further to what you commented on earlier about David “finding his voice outside of singing” – well this interview really shows it.

Interview on Fox – Jefferson Pointe/Fort Wayne

19. SandyBeaches says:

Awestruck…I really enjoyed your article this snowy morning, before it raisn. It is so refreshing and thought provoking. I also love all of the comments that offer so much to this article.

TOfan…words from “The Naked Chef”, add to David’s dimension…“relationships and consistency.” It is the consistency that rings in as an absolute wonder for David as he has been consistent in all that he does and we appreciate it. Comments about the AMA’s remind us how much they are really missing out on.

SB

20. SandyBeaches says:

Dear heavens…no, no raisins here but rain yes…

SB

21. Bluebird19 says:

Awestruck: Wow, you’re a cosmic scientist and you’re right David’s star is building and will continue to burn. We’ll all continue to watch it shine! Thanks for the cosmic analogies 🙂

Abanana: “… none of my other obsessions made me re-evaluate what I valued in life, what I thought was important. None of the other obsessions would make me want to be a better person.” I love that sentiment and I love that you get that at your young age.
    My family and friends don’t “get it” either and I “don’t get” that they “don’t get” it. Maybe we Archie fans are just very special people.

Tawna21: Sad to say David doesn’t get played in Georgia at all. They only have about 20 artists they ever play. My husband only listens to the “oldies” station because he can’t stand those 20 artists and I can’t stand to wait to try to hear someone I can stand. I long for the good old days of radio where they had the “ENTIRE” record and you could request whatever song you wanted. In the day of computers, I don’t understand why a label only sends 3 or 4 songs to radio from a cd. I suppose it’s because there are so many artists bombarding the stations with music. Why so few are played, I can’t figure out. (Are we back in the days of payola?).

Have a great day and a Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
    Pattie

22. Angelica says:

Awestruck,

Great observation of what we have on our hands here as fans of David Archuleta. Some are like mushrooms that spring up over night and are quickly gone from view. David is like an acorn that takes a long time but eventually becomes a mighty oak. He will endure when others are memories. I truly believe that. Sometimes I think that David is so real, he makes people uncomfortable because they are so used to the pretense and fakery and all the phoneys out there. Maybe because that world is a mirror that reflects the sham in their own lives.

“David staying true to himself by grounding himself with his sense of family, drawing from the faith that propels him and displaying the humility inherent in him will make a very significant difference by allowing him to maintain a single identity on and off the stage. Meld all of this with his exceedingly generous spirit and you have a musician who absolutely loves doing what he is doing, has a strong sense of self and follows his dream for the sake of others before his own.”

Thanks for this. These are words, I want to say, every hour of every day…. 🙂

Me too, Angelica!

(mushrooms? acorns? oak trees? I’ve also always thought of David as a force of nature and now he’s over at National Geographic in Boston so it must be true!!! :lol:)

thank you Angelica – I have always believed this:
    “Sometimes I think that David is so real, he makes people uncomfortable because they are so used to the pretense and fakery and all the phoneys out there. Maybe because that world is a mirror that reflects the sham in their own lives.”

24. SandyBeaches says:

Perhaps you know this Canadians but…

(((NEWS FOR CANADIANS GOING TO SEE THE MOTABS!)))

Some tickets slipped throught the cracks (the ticket office expression) and those are the ones that Canadians received last week or so. All other tickets for all other concerts need to be picked up at ‘WILL CALL’ as early as two hours before each performance (or perhaps the days before when the office is open one will have to check on that).

I am so relieved that at least I found out where they are and all is well! Thanks to my husband for his conversation with them that is ssooo important to Canadians who did not know and probably any other country as well!!

Ppphhewww!

SB

In this vid, David runs into a bunch of Charice fans after the tree lighting …what a sweetheart to take pics & sign autographs, he looks SO tired!

• awestruck says:

awww does he ever look tired and he apologized for his ‘bad voice’ – what a sweetheart. Very nice promo for David at the end of the video, nice of Charice’s fans to do this!

So, latest David tweet – he is in Boston. I was hoping he was headed home for some much needed R&R.

26. embe86 says:

((awestruck)) Lovely article. “The David Archuleta Galaxy”. Now that sounds like a place I’ll surely feel comfortable in.

Guys, I have something to tell you.

I just found out last weekend, that I’m going to have a baby. It’s early days, so I’m kind of nervous, but hopefully everything will go well.

Some days when you watch the news or just take a walk somewhere and see sad, cruel things, you find yourself a little scared of bringing up a child in a world like this. But then I play a David song, or watch an interview, or just see his shining aura in a photo, and I feel myself relaxing. There’s David (though he’s one of a kind), the culmination of purity, sincerity and goodness, and if my child has someone like him to look up to, I think he will be just fine.

27. SandyBeaches says:

Congratulations Embe, even though you are a little nervous it will be wonderful and hey, you have a lot of friends here to share this with!~

SB

28. Abanana77 says:

Congrats embe! That’s wonderful!!!

29. embe86 says:

Thanks you guys ❤ ❤ ❤

I will definitely play David's music to my belly for the whole 9 months, so the baby will be converted the second he/she pops out. Though I'm sure Pete will try to turn him (he's sure it's a boy) into an Iron Maiden fan. I swear, Pete would rather have babies with Bruce Dickinson than me. Anyway, I'll be sure to introduce David to the baby 😉

30. stenocruiser says:

Embe, such happy news! Of course, your little one will have the perfect role model in David for years to come. Congrats and all the best to you and Pete. God bless, and take care.

Look who YJ_fan’s daughter and her friend just ran into at Logan Airport! (aww, he looks sooo tired)

Guess who my daughter and her friend just ran into at Logan a... on Twitpic

32. archiesfan4life says:

embe – Congrats to you and Pete! I am so happy for you!

embe, congratulations. I had just read some things online about outside influences on babies in the womb, I think you are on the right track, lol! If it is as sweet as it’s mother, things will be just fine.

Angelica, loved your comments on awestrucks comments. I remember when we were first getting familiar with him through Idol and the tour after, I sometimes did not know how to take him, he was always throwing me a curveball. Who was like that?
    I was not prepared for his complete lack of pretense and forthrightness, not to mention melt-your-heart sweetness. He brought me back around to how people could be, and should be. I thought I was a good person, but he has shown me what true humility is.

refnaf, thanks for the interview. Love the possibility of those collaborations!

emme, “He brought me back around to how people could be, and should be. I thought I was a good person, but he has shown me what true humility is.” wow, that is so true. I was just thinking today that my default is actually kinda cranky and selfish, lol, and David’s is the exact opposite.

Case in point! I only now got around to making that mp3 of that awesome Ft. Wayne TOSOD for you, awestruck (or anyone who’d like it)! Download HERE!

Aw, embe….congrats to you! That’s a very special announcement. I wish you all the best. Having your little one exposed to David’s music from day one can only be a good thing! Take care of yourself, get lots of nourishment and rest and take a daily dose of the Archuleta. All will be well. 🙂

Some MOTab news if anyone is still hoping to get tickets. Apparently they have reserved 100 tickets (50 sets of twos) for people who still want them. I believe these are for the Thursday or Sunday concerts. You can go to their FB page and enter your name. Info here:

• embe86 says:

*hugs you*

Actually, I just bought a pack of some multivitamin tablets for pregnant women. Felt kinda surreal to buy them, since I haven’t really taken all this in yet 😛

Today in my senior gym class, I played Joy To The World, Silent Night, O Holy Night and of course Ave Maria during stretching. One woman started to cry listening to Silent Night. She lost her daughter recently, and David’s voice got her very emotional. I hope it was more therapeutic than traumatic for her.

oh my heck, betsy just posted this vid on Twitter… too cute and hiLARious *warning: put down hot beverages*

37. Angelica says:

Embe,

Congratulations!!! So happy for you! “I swear, Pete would rather have babies with Bruce Dickinson than me.” LOLOL!!
    Play a little bit of Iron Maiden anyway, for Pete’s sake!

Happy Thanksgiving from the USA to all of you lovable Canadian SnowAngelz! We are thankful to have such wonderful, intellegent, witty neighbors to the north.

• embe86 says:

I promise I'll play some Maiden. They do have some jammin' songs, I have to admit 😛

BTW, can someone tell me where the expression "for Pete's sake" comes from? LOL. I've always wondered.

TOfan…Mom rockin out to Pat-A-Pan at a stop light is hilarious, love that! Yes, do put down hot beverages while watching and DO NOT flail or groove to the song while actually driving, lol. That song definitely has such a magic to it, been trying to get my radio station to play it but so far no luck. They seem to be focused on David’s The First Noel and O Holy Night (which are pure loveliness to hear). Would love thousands in my community to hear Pat-A-Pan too. 🙂

embe….sounds like you play the best music for the senior’s ears to hear and their hearts to open to. I’m sure that David’s Silent Night only made the woman cry because it touched her in a way she needed to be touched. David’s voice is most definitely therapeutic. Good for all levels of your health. ❤

Happy Thanksgiving Snowangelz and friends!

Happy Thanksgiving, Emme!