Songs in the key of David

Ms. Happy used to do a feature on this very topic and when I was reminded of this song, “His Eye is on the Sparrow,” tonight, I thought I’d revive it! (Hope you don’t mind, Happy!)

Photo: EKS Challenge

Everyone has certain songs they’d love to hear David Archuleta sing and this one is definitely in the Top 5 on my list. I first heard it sung by a friend in a music class and I broke down in tears when she got to, “I sing because I’m happy / I sing because I’m free.

It was only later I found out it was a hymn and that it was included in the movie Sister Act 2.

It gives me chills just thinking about David singing this someday. On the other hand, the heart and soul and spirit he’d bring to it might just slay us all for good … I’m willing to take the risk, though, how ’bout you?

Why should I feel discouraged,
Why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart feel lonely
And long for Heav’n and home,
When Jesus is my portion?
A constant Friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches over me;
His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

What about you guys, what songs would you love to hear David sing? And why?

Here’s the full song from the Sister Act 2 soundtrack (with Lauryn Hill and Tanya Blount):

This entry was posted in Fan experience and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

70 Responses to Songs in the key of David

TOfan, you just reminded me of that beautiful song. I had forgotten about that one and oh yes, would be just heavenly to hear David sing that song. I think I would be willing to risk “the slaying” of hearing him sing it. That is one for the “must sing list”. So Beautiful, simply beautiful.

There are so many songs that I would love to hear David sing. I have a big list in my head but one of the songs I have wanted to hear David sing from the very first time I heard the song, is a song called “Thankful” from Josh Groban’s Christmas album.
    It is not just a song for Christmas but anytime really. If you have Josh’s album you’ll know the song. I think that song is one of the most beautiful songs written in the last decade. Amazing, heartfelt lyrics, beautiful melody..I adore that song and when I first heard it I thought..David must sing this. It reminded me so much of what comes from David’s heart. Don’t know if he ever will sing it but I would sooo..love to hear it by David. It’s in my top five for sure.
    So many others but won’t list them all.
    Thanks for the great post, loved listening to “His Eye Is On The Sparrow” again, loved it, pure beauty.
    So many “tissue invoking” beautiful songs that David could grace us with, makes you want to hear them all.

Thought I would post a video with lyrics if anyone doesn’t know the song I would love to hear David sing: (Josh does a lovely job too). Sorry, guess my post got a bit lengthy.

Wow, great songs for David> one of my wishes is for “Bridge over Troubled Water”….

• archiesfan4life says:

ref – if David ever sings this song, it just may be the end of me!

• awestruck says:

Ah this song would be the end of me as well… didn’t he do this acapella with Straight No Chaser and we got that twitpic as a teaser???

TOfan and peppertara…. those songs are great. David doing a inspirational double cd would be a start!

Thanks Tofan for reviving Happy’s feature….so many songs>>>> I’ll be back!

peppertara, thanks for posting the video with lyrics. I confess I’ve never followed Josh at all, so I hadn’t heard that song, a beautiful one for sure.

Bringing this over from the end of the last thread:
    From Kizzi:
    Hi everyone. Just checked in to get the latest SAz news and perspective.

I was in Chicago this weekend and was walking down the Magnificent Mile (Michigan Ave one of the great shopping streets in the USA) and I look up to see a 8 ft David. What a surprise. Borders Bookstore on Michigan had his album cover art (huge) prominently displayed in their window. Pretty cool! ๐Ÿ˜€

6. irishjustin says:

Ever since I first heard David, I wanted to hear him sing this song, it’s one of my favorite songs of all time and it would be incredible to hear David sing it.

I also think it would be AMAZING if David sang this song, it’s such an emotional song and I can’t even begin to imagine what it would be like if he sang it.

7. Julee says:

I want to hear him sing everything, basically! So I agree with all your picks!

Seeing as Christmas is coming up, my secret wish is for Mack Wilberg (who is as much a genius with arrangements as David is with singing) to arrange “I Wonder As I Wander” for David and the Tab choir. I have always loved that Christmas song. It is hauntingly beautiful, simple and humble and often the first verse is done a capella. It has a very interesting history. I just think it would fit David and his voice to a tee.

First vid is Streisand version and 2nd vid is explanation of how the hymn was discovered.

I’m with Julee on this one. David should sing every song ever.

Honestly if this had been posted a couple weeks ago, I probably would have said Dream Sky High ๐Ÿ˜€ But my wish got answered on that one!

I would love to hear David sing more hymns (not saying that’s where I want his music career to go, lol, just living in fantasy land right now). Be Still My Soul kills me every time. He just gets so into it emotionally.

I’m a little obsessed with this song right now, and would die to hear David sing it. No idea about musically whether it would fit his voice or whatever whatever but emotionally it already cuts straight to my heart and having David sing it would be unbelievable.

9. Lynnella says:

I would love to hear David sing a jazz song, like On Broadway by George Benson. I think his voice is perfect for that, and the runs would be out of this world.

10. betsy says:

I still want him to sing this song ๐Ÿ™‚

julee and abanana, awesome choices and I hadn’t heard either of them before, very cool!

Lynnella, I’m a huge jazz fan and when David did his jazzified HYAMLC on his Christmas tour last year, I was not surprised at all, like you, totally saw that coming! On Broadway would be amazing!

And so would anything by Van the Man, betsy! ๐Ÿ™‚

Breaking possible news:

Just saw this tweet from @jenleighbarry on Twitter:

Got reply back from CMN (Children’s Miracle Network) about David not perf 4 them [in November]..”Unfortunately David will not be performing at our event. He will be in Asia on tour.”

๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

If it’s true, congrats Asia fans!!!

13. MunkFOD says:

The lyrics to Grobens Thankful remind me of David’s Look Around…the same concept.

Hope we hear soon what is going on with tour stops for David. Really hoping he gets to go to Asia! they deserve it!

14. archiesfan4life says:

It is difficult to pick just one song b/c I am with Julee and abanana – I want to hear David sing every song ever:).

15. silverfox says:

Oooooo! Great thread! Honestly, I just want to hear David sing any thing all the time preferably LIVE!

We all know David can sing the phonebook. We all know he can sing any genre. We all know he can bring us to our knees with his voice. We all know every song he sings, he owns. Every Time he sings even a snippet of a “new” song, he blows us away. To me, he is The Voice.

Today my son was listening to soul/R&B oldies & when I heard these I thought to myself I would love to hear David’s soulful voice sing these songs…Sam Cook’s “A Change Is Gonna Come” and Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Going On”.
    I know he may be too “young” for these, but even so, few singers can do justice to songs like these, and David, young as he is, absolutely could!

“sing anything, all the time” lol, right on, SF!!! Love your two picks! I have one of Marvin Gaye’s live albums and the high-pitched screams from the crowd aren’t far off those for David! ๐Ÿ˜†

Apparently TOSOD will be released in Japan Nov. 10th (with a special bonus track!), wonder if he’s going there for that, maybe bringing his sis, as he’s mentioned?!?

Speaking of Japan, this is one of my favourite all-time Stevie Wonder songs performed live in Tokyo … David would kill this one too. sigh.

I’ve seen the other amazing ClearChannel vids from Wichita, but somehow missed this one … rock stah David FTW!!!

(& David’s CC vids from that show have views of 2,828 (FS), 1,555 (SBL) & 1,049 (Crush), whereas Bruno Mars’ has only 546, Natasha Bedingfield’s 114, and Ready Set’s 377 … and yet they’re all getting radio play. What gives??????????? … k, I’m done, lol. )

18. Cindy says:

I first would love to hear David sing Josh Groban’s, “You Raise Me Up”. Josh was (and still is my favorite) before David came around. This song is uplifting and gets to my soul everytime I listen to it. Those of us who were at the first CFTH VIP in SLC last year got the great priveledge to hear David sing a verse from this song during the Q & A. My Mom was one of the lucky three who was chosen to ask David a question. So, I had her ask David if he would would sing some of the song for us, which as you can see, he did!

I would also love to hear David sing Mariah Carey’s, “Hero”. This song came out during a very difficult time in my life. It came out at a time when I really needed to find a hero inside me to carry on. This song always gave me the hope and inspiration I needed to get through the tough times. This song still gets to me even after all these years. Listening to David sing, especially when he sings inspirational and uplifting songs, is already like medicine for my soul. However, hearing David sing “Hero”, that would be like getting an overdose of that soul medicine. I’m quite sure that this would definitely cause me to faint and in the process my heart would totally melt from listening to his beautiful and soulful voice. It would definitely have the same effect on me as his studio version of Mariah Carey’s “When You Believe”, has on me. I can’t get through listening to him sing that song withough bursting into tears. I’m sure hearing David sing these other two songs would also bring tears to my eyes, as well.

• awestruck says:

Cindy, I can so relate to When You Believe sung by David. I think each of us has that one or two – or more – songs that have special meaning for each of us. David also ‘came into my life’ during a really tough time in my life and has touched my soul ever since.

19. Abrra says:

A song I really love is Sing by Theo tams. He is Canadian Idol winner 2009. The last year they did the show. I made a tribute video with the song. Steno saw Theo in concert and she asked if he had seen my video and he said ” YES!” ahaha

Also, I made a MGR from SBL Clear Channel that TOfan posted above.

It’s very hawt ๐Ÿ˜‰ WARNING!

Abrra

Ah TOfan, I so remember Happy’s initiative. Thanks for reviving it.

My picks (besides anything he chooses to sing, that is ๐Ÿ˜€ )

The Youngbloods – Get Together

AND

“If” by Bread

Unfortunately, embedding is disabled for this one and it’s so bea-u-ti-ful. One of the commenters wrote “When music had a meaning.” It’s the ultimate love song.

Oh, and I forgot this one….

Gordon Lightfoot, If You Could Read My Mind
    And the comments are amazing….”music of today has so lost its magic,” “when music was music,” “When I hear music like this..I really๏ปฟ hate the crap that’s being turned out today and being called “MUSIC…” and it seems Gordon is still performing concerts!!!

So many wonderful songs here in the key of David, wow. Like the comment about Gordon Lightfoot from Kizzi’s great post….yes he is still performing. The reason being, he creates real music! What happened to some of that real music they used to play on radio? Perhaps some of it is coming back…in the form of David Archuleta. Maybe David will play a key role and we will be hearing songs in the key of David…on radio…eventually!
    The song “If” that Kizzi posted was actually sung at my wedding, very lovely. (I go back a ways)!
    David could do it all…Pop, rock, blues, jazz, R&B, country, inspirational, Spanish…you name it. It’s probably a good thing that he started his music career so young and guess it was meant to be…..because he needs to produce dozens of albums for the insatiable listeners! (He’ll leave an incredible legacy). ๐Ÿ™‚

Breaking single news!!!!

@ClaudeKelly Lets Go @DavidArchie fans! start requesting! RT @lovefrommich my local radio station just confirmed that they received Falling Stars frm Jive

And @lovefrommich (Ms. FunnyGirl!!!) is in Michigan, btw.

24. stenocruiser says:

For those in the Southern Ontario/Western New York area, I received a response to my e-mail to the Buffalo/Toronto PBS affiliate as follows (interesting as I thought it was to be broadcast on Thanksgiving — so it might be different dates in different areas — don’t want to miss David!).

“Thank you for your inquiry to WNED.

“The Orla Fallon Christmas show will air on WNED on December 8th at 8:00 P.M.

“The Celtic Thunder Christmas show will air on WNED on December 7th at 8:00 P.M.

“For future reference, national PBS’s schedule and WNED’s (a local PBS affiliate) schedule very often differ. Each local PBS affiliate station has their own schedule! This fact is very confusing to viewers who are trying to locate a particular program they wish to watch. The best thing to do is check the local newspaper or our website – http://www.wned.org. Of course, you are always welcome to contact us by e-mail and we will do
    our best to give you the right information. Thank you for your support of public broadcasting.”

25. embe says:

ABRRA o.O

Heaven help me. That MGR was just.. wow. The lighting is very.. um… flattering. In the pectoral area. I don’t think David has the right to look any more smokin’.

Oh, so many lovely songs…

Something really jazzy and soulful would be amazing to hear – IF by Bread, yes KIZZI –

Julee – I Wonder as I Wander with the MTC would simply melt my heart and soul. I had asked so many people to register for tickets as I would so love to hear David sing with them this December. But, I know that it is so unlikely that I will be lucky enough to actually get tickets… I’m sad already.

KSPS, the Spokane PBS station (the one we get here in Calgary) is airing the Orla Falon Christmas Special on Dec. 4 at 6pm MST as of yesterday (always subject to scheduling changes). The PBS number is 1-800-735-2377 for anyone intereseted in calling about information in your own area.

27. happy says:

TOfan- I love this feature (I do believe you named it ๐Ÿ™‚ ) and am glad you revived it! It is so much fun to go through everyoneโ€™s musicโ€ฆ. Stevie and Marvin and Sam and Simon and Garfunkel and VAN THE MAN!… I also very much enjoyed the info on I Wonder as I Wander, which inspired me onto more research. Just as much fun was listening to the other picks I am less inclined to listen to on my ownโ€ฆ. and of course my friend Kizziโ€ฆhugs to you.

Betsy- Van the Man is one of my top 5 all-time and I have been in an Astral Weeks phase latelyโ€ฆ. Have you listened to it recently? Also, been listening to Hymns to the Silence and thought David should do a cover of โ€œWhy Must I always Explain?โ€ for Jive and all the dumb interviewers ๐Ÿ™‚

Why Must I Always Explain?

Have to toe the line, I’ve got to make the most
    Spent all the years going, from pillar to post
    Now I’m standing on the outside and I’m waitin’ in the rain
    Tell me why must I always explain

Bared my soul to the crowd eh but oh what the cost
    Most of them laughed out loud like nothing’s been lost
    There were hypocrites and parasites and people that drain
    Tell me why must I always explain

Why, why must I always explain?
    Over and over, over again
    It’s just a job you know and it’s no Sweet Lorraine
    Tell me why must I always explain (alright)

Well I get up in the morning and I get my brief
    I go out and stare at the world in complete disbelief
    It’s not righteous indignation that makes me complain
    It’s the fact that I always have to explain

I can’t be everywhere at once, there’s always somebody to see
    And I never turned out to be the person that you wanted me to be
    And I tell you who I am, time and time and time again
    Tell me why must I always explain

Well it’s out on the highway and it’s on with the show
    Always telling people things they’re too lazy to know
    It can make you crazy, yeah it can drive you insane

PS- Abs,you are shameless. 8)

Love to all.

• betsy says:

Happy,
      I have now. ๐Ÿ™‚
      Thanks for the reminder. I tend to get stuck on one thing and won’t let go. So good to see you. ๐Ÿ™‚

But here is the thing. More than any cover, any wonderful classic song that would be perfectly covered by him, I want him to sing HIS SONG, GOOD PLACE, LIVE. I love it that much.
      This is a first for me. So kudos to you, David, for writing and singing such a beautiful song.
      His vocals on that song are pure David. You know what I mean?
      I really should make a rule about commenting after 1 a.m. LOL – I just shouldn’t do it.
      But this:
      โ™ชI could be a memory tomorrow. I could be nothing at allllllllllโ™ช It kills me.

{{{{{โ™ฅHappyโ™ฅ}}}}}
      Love that one! And it’s cool to see the lyrics written out, ‘cuz as much as I adore Van, I can’t always make out the words in his songs! ๐Ÿ˜† Perfect song to dedicate to Jive!!!

Betsy, Good Place is def. one of my faves on the album, can’t wait to hear it live. And when David pours out his deepest fears with lines like that, I don’t understand how some critics can claim he doesn’t share enough of himself in the songs. grrrrr

How about any of these, how about all of these.

Simply cannot pick one song. Every song I listen to I want to hear him do it.

Would love anything with some soul, a little jazz!

Love TOSOD. Listen every day. I love his background vocals as much as the primary vocals in all of his CD’s.

29. stenocruiser says:

Would love to have David sing anything, anything at all by Pat Boone, but especially Love Letters in the Sand — David could even do the whistling part too!

and, of course, April Love.

I know, pure schmaltz but so lovely.

LOOOve this thread!!! David can do it all!!! Before David I listened to David Gray ALL THE TIME…..
    I can see David doing stuff like this when he is a bit older>

Now I need to go watch Pat Boone!!! Thanks Steno!!

• Lorna says:

Refnaf – Have you heard David Gray & Annie Lennox (two of my favorite artists, after David of course) singing together?

New vlog!!!

More info:
    Sorry that it’s been so long since I’ve made a blog! Just giving you a quick update though… or maybe it’s not so quick haha. Spending time with the family! Was in DC last weekend and headed to Cali next week. Had a fun time at Disneyland with the sisters a couple weeks ago, and had fun at corn mazes this week too. Let me know what you guys are dressing up as for Halloween!

p.s. I’ve had a really fun time watching and listening to the Myspace Karaoke Contest entries haha. Thanks for sending those!

Tags:
    * Kennedy
    * Shriver
    * Challenge
    * DC
    * Fresno
    * Indone

“pumpkin carving sisters” ๐Ÿ˜† … He’s listening to the karaoke entries??? NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

TOfan BUSTED! I have to admit I have not listened to any of the entries… but I may now, lol

33. Lorna says:

Sorry, don’t know what I did to double post. You can remove one. Ta!

YAY I was just thinking he hadn’t vlogged in a REALLY long time ๐Ÿ™‚ This makes me happy!
    Sounds like he’s having fun at home ๐Ÿ™‚

abanana, me too!

And just when I think we haven’t heard from him in a while because he’s glued to the charts and fretting over his career (like many of his fans are!)…

… turns out he’s busy going to two corn mazes (one haunted, one not ๐Ÿ˜† ), Disneyland & Halloween parades, watching the Food Network to whip up curry pumpkin soup, acting all big-brotherly wearing his Invisalign braces and bumming around in lounge clothes by a heater in between meetings about a Christmas concert where he’ll be the youngest singer ever to perform with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

*exhales*

Ah, so nice to have a Vlog from David. Yep, talking pumpkins, corn mazes, Disneyland, family and concern for those dealing with disasters around the world….just like David. His sister’s comment about the corn maze made me laugh.

The MoTAb performance is such an honor, I hope that some people out there will now realize that David is no simple young pop star who will come and go. Oh how I would love to be there to hear his glorious voice with the choir!
    Happy about Falling Stars…started requesting and really hope I get to hear that on radio. No luck with the first two.
    Interesting that David didn’t mention Asia, guess it’s not officially out there yet. Sure isn’t much time left though. Wonder if it will be radio promos with small performances. In any case, those fans will be ecstatic!
    TOfan I get the feeling David really doesn’t fret over anything too much like his fans might, ha. Maybe just closes his eyes and “hears the echo”. He is in a good place and I would also love to hear that song live! One of my faves for sure and how about Day After Tomorrow, what a lovely song that is, his vocals just melt away any rough edges in your world. David may sing anything and everything, that would be fine with me. ๐Ÿ™‚

37. betsy says:

Tofan, I thought of you immediately when I saw that he’s been listening to the karaoke contestants!
    This makes my day. ๐Ÿ™‚
    You did so good. ๐Ÿ™‚

38. gladys says:

My God, I just read it and think itโ€™s the million dollar question.
    According to reports, the cd of david has had low sales.
    โ€œDavid thought his cd I do not like???. I will find a way to tell David that his cd is amazing, every song, every word, every feeling.
    We can begin to say, twitter, (in my case):
    !! hi, from Argentina, iam Gladys, I want to tell you that your cd is amazing .!!!!
    If each of us wrote this sentence (each follower puts his city) on Twitter, it would be fantastic. The 500,000 fans, too.
    We can do it.

Gladys, that is an excellent suggestion. I’m sure a lot of fans have told him they love his new album via Twitter, his Website, etc. (I know I have) but it would be a good thing to say it again! Especially telling him where you are from, sounds like a wonderful idea! He has so many fans all over the world. ๐Ÿ™‚
    I know David’s CD hasn’t sold a lot thus far, guess people aren’t buying like they used to…when it comes to David it’s baffling, I know… but over time I think sales may improve…with tours, more promo (fingers crossed on that one), etc.
    I agree though, keep showing David our support….always. ๐Ÿ™‚

40. embe says:

Okay, just reminding everyone that the mass-tweet to David should take place TODAY at 3 PM EST (whatever time that is for you).

I’m going to try my hardest to put my love and admiration for David in just 140 characters, so he’ll know his light shines all the way to Finland too ๐Ÿ™‚

Well, I have tried 3 times to send David a tweet and I keep getting the message that Twitter is over capacity and to try again. Is that David’s fans bogging up the twitter world? Lol. ๐Ÿ™‚

Did manage to send a tweet to David, I hope he feels the love today. ๐Ÿ™‚