He shoots, he scores: The David Archuleta “Hat Trick” factor

Hat Trick: When a hockey player scores three goals in one game. The NHL tradition is for fans to throw hats onto the ice when a hat trick occurs.

As a teenager, I played hockey on one of the teams that comprised the first ladies hockey league in Calgary during the mid to late 1970s.  I was always hoping to score that elusive (at least for me!) hat trick.  And so it seems that I continue to look for things in threes – and David Archuleta hat tricks are no exception.

After all, he kicked off his A.I. run with a triple-threat killer combo of Heaven, Shop Around and Imagine … were any of us left standing after that hat trick?

Then he brought the house down in the finale with another three-song tour de force: In this Moment, DLTSGDM, Imagine — forever becoming our American Idol.

After A.I., the hat tricks kept coming.

• Signing a three-CD deal with Jive.

• Touring the U.S. three times.

• Three killer covers in the CFTH Tour: The Riddle, FOG, POC.

Part of the joy of being a David Archuleta fan is knowing you can expect the unexpected (in terms of new vocal notes, runs, delivery) and be awestruck, humbled or even overwhelmed at any given moment.  Is there something else that keeps me “coming back for more”?

In a word YES. Well, three words – the IT Factor. To each one of us, “it” may mean something different. What I do know, however, is that whatever “it” is, my life has been profoundly changed over this last year and a half.  And, in keeping with the time of year, I tend to look back and reflect on all that’s happened.

Starting with the beginning of my journey with David – Shop Around – the moment when I first asked myself “who is this young singer and what is it that draws me to him?”  Since then, I’ve struggled to try to figure out what it was about him that made me respond like I never have before, or since, and what it all means.

My “ah-ha” moment occurred when I discovered, through my healing tears, that it mattered not why.  IT just IS.  Something inside me was released – a burden lifted – and a feeling of peace took its place.  My heart was opened wide to accept what was to come next.

This was the moment when David’s reverence to God — through his singing and by the very nature of who he is — captured my soul and lifted it up to a place where it has never been.  Emotionally overwhelming.  Profound. I now look ahead to the coming year with thrilling anticipation.

For no matter what David has planned for us, I know that I will be sharing it with all of you here! So here’s to the brand new decade and the joy with which I look forward to more David “hat tricks” to come.

Happy New Year to All!

Awestruck

This entry was posted in Fan experience and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to He shoots, he scores: The David Archuleta “Hat Trick” factor

Awestruck,
    just in time for Hockey Night in Canada! Perfect!

From end of last thread:
    From Abrra:
    Refnaf
    Oh what a beautiful BABY!

KT
    You had those lovely vids and hid them from me??? 🙂 Great job!

I have been busy and have some files I’d like to share.
    I made some mp3’s of all the AI songs David sang. I numbered them nicely, BUT Mediafire read them out of order. You will have to select them carefully beginning with 1AIWaitingonTheWorldToChange and so forth. Sorry! I tried to make it easy. Mediafire FAIL!

Abrra

2. pastel says:

Awestruck….gorgeous words. So well written. I love how you made a trilogy so Canadian by calling it a hat trick. I hope, if you still play hockey, you get that hat trick. If we still had our rink in the backyard this year, I would invite you here to Toronto to seal the deal.

Look for a baby Pastel and her boyfriend at the ACC tonight. Why do our kids get all the breaks???

3. djafan says:

awestruck…

“My “ah-ha” moment occurred when I discovered, through my healing tears, that it mattered not why. It just IS. Something inside me was released – a burden lifted – and a feeling of peace took its place. My heart was opened wide to accept what was to come next.”

and this

“This was the moment when David’s reverence to God — through his singing and by the very nature of who he is — captured my soul and lifted it up to a place where it has never been. Emotionally overwhelming. Profound. I now look ahead to the coming year with thrilling anticipation.”

It never ceases to amaze me the similarities we have as fans when it comes to relating our emotions about David. The just IS has been a hard one to get to specially when family thinks you’ve gone off the deepend.

And a Happy New Year to you and all the Snowangelz!

4. YJfanofdavid says:

Awestruck, Love your heart-felt article!

“Starting with the beginning of my journey with David – Shop Around – the moment when I first asked myself “who is this young singer and what is it that draws me to him?” Since then, I’ve struggled to try to figure out what it was about him that made me respond like I never have before, or since, and what it all means.
    My “ah-ha” moment occurred when I discovered, through my healing tears, that it mattered not why. It just IS. Something inside me was released – a burden lifted – and a feeling of peace took its place.”

Interesting that each of us has our own ah-ha moment but the rest of the journey echos each other’s.

dja: “It never ceases to amaze me the similarities we have as fans when it comes to relating our emotions about David.” So true!

5. YJfanofdavid says:

Just noticed the Winter 2010 Canadian tour planning and the Totoro ice sculpting at the side. lol. Snowangelz FTW!

(Speaking of “Winter 2010,” can’t you guys pull some strings and get him to sing at the opening for the 2010 Winter Olympics?) 🙂

Pastel – I don’t play hockey any more… we had one too – an outdoor rink that is – growing up! Great memories.

djafan / YJ – yes we all do share many of the same ‘ah-ha’ moments and that is why IMO it is so special to share with others who truly ‘get it’ in a similar way. My ‘ah-ha’ moment represented the hurdle for me from feeling like I had to defend my feelings and actions to my family to just saying ‘OK, this is how I feel and it does me good, and that’s just the way it is.

YJ – at one point thers was a campaign going to have people write to the appropriate person on the Olympic Committee to tell them why DA should sing at the 2010 Olypmics. The deadline to submit was quite a while ago. At which point I forgot all about it – I wonder if they have made an announcement?

Abrra – you are an angel THANK you for putting together and posting those AI mp3’s. Bows down to you. How did you know that I was having trouble with some of my files?… happened when I had my computer upgraded. Curious to know what program you use to convert youtube’s to mp3’s???

8. conditioner says:

Awestruck,

A beautifully written heartfelt post that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. It brought back memories of my childhood, skating, and attempting to play hockey on the outdoor rink in our back yard too. Wow, that was a long time ago for me!!

I too have realized it just ‘IS’. I have stopped trying to explain it, and the family just knows it is part of me now :).
    We can only hope that David follows through on his trilogy trend, and begins a new one by coming to Canada to perform not once, not twice, but three times this year!!! 🙂 ….not that i don’t LOVE traveling all over the U.S. !! It sure has been a fun couple of years!!!

9. --bianca says:

A lovely, lovely post. Thank you so much. And thank heavens (or perhaps you LOL) that I can now read your blog again without Firefox crashing.

David does have “It” and in spades. The way I redefine “It” is “charisma” and that for me explains why he’s 10 times more wonderful on stage than in the best video or recording. Why I cannot look away from him while he’s performing. Why I look for news every day.

conditioner – yes to old time backyard skating memories and David in Canada…

bianca HEY! Charisma is a good place to start a definition. Any one else got a word or phrase to add???

Off-topic:
    From Disney Dreaming:

David Archuleta is headed to Central America to do some work for charity – he took to Twitter to tell fans the news:

“Hey guys, tomorrow I’m heading out to Central America for the week for some charity work, and don’t know how my phone service will be while I’m there. I’ll try to keep you posted and will get a blog up in a couple of days! Sorry that I haven’t made one in a while, but I’m stoked! I should have someway of tweeting you guys still, don’t worry lol. If not I’ll find a way! Even though I’m not all too interesting lol.”

Oh David! We think you’re interesting!

Who else thinks he might come back looking like this? 😆
    smaller che

bianca – what was the name of that website where you drew your avi? (I think it was you, maybe janey?)

That “it” factor is a tough one to describe, isn’t it?

That series in the U.K. that Simon Cowell threatens to bring to North America is called “X Factor” and, if you’ve ever watched it, like A.I., it supports the theory that it’s something you’re born with … you either have “it” or you don’t.

Charisma is a good term, star quality another … what’s so fascinating is that everyone knows what it is but it’s almost impossible to define.

Thought this was an interesting quotation on the subject:
    “Charisma is a fancy name given to the knack of giving people your full attention.” ~Robert Brault 🙂

awestruck> “My “ah-ha” moment occurred when I discovered, through my healing tears, that it mattered not why. IT just IS. Something inside me was released – a burden lifted – and a feeling of peace took its place. My heart was opened wide to accept what was to come next” wow, this is so well said…. thank you!
    For me what came next is a still unfolding adventure of new friends and new places. Just today meeting up with TOfan, conditioner gengen pastel and archtoronto for lunch… well, truly a blessing because of David that is more than a hat trick, haha (love the analogy). And we have a new cd to look forward to and TOUR!!! … 3 stops in Canada…. woot, lol.

TOfan – “I looked up the word “charisma” and it comes from the Ancient Greek word “kharisma,” meaning “gift,” or “favored by God/the divine.”

Well doesn’t that just fit… as well as that quote – who lasers you with a look that penetrates right inside of you better than David?

Will a week be enough time for all that facial hair to grow???

refnaf – wishing I could have transported myself there in time for lunch with archufriends!

Brooke tweets: “”Well look who I ran into on the airplane… my good pal @davidarchie.”

Well look who I ran into on the airplane... my good pal @davi... on Twitpic

(Gotta love the Ricky Archuleta haircut! 😆 )

Classic! (for your Monday morning pleasure)

“mazeltov” bahahahaha

One more Monday morning smile & I’ll stop spamming … promise!

From an OK Magazine interview with Kris Allen:

Last time I was mistaken for another celebrity
    “Driving down the road in L.A. during American Idol, this woman pulls up to me and looks over. I was like, ‘Maybe she notices me!’ And then she said, ‘David Archuleta!’ I don’t think I look like him. Whatever.”

Awestruck – wonderful article! So poignant. Thank you!

TOfan – I think being mistaken for DA would be taken as a compliment 😀

20. Abrra says:

awestruck
    Thank you for a truly heartfelt article. For me the “IT” is David’s spirit, aura, charm, humility……he gives off such a positive vibe in everything he does. I think God gave him the gift of Voice because He knew that David would use it wisely to uplift us.

I got your note about eh Cd today. Haha! You must really need the programs I use because it was writing on the flap of the envelope for the world to see. Loved that!

I could be coy and just say that I use my magic Wand to create the mp3’s, but I won’t. Both things I use are FREE.

To download/convert to many formats ( there is a drop down menu you can change how you want things to convert, such as mp3 or mp4) The site is safe from virus.

I edit the mp3’s after I get them ripped from YouTube. I trim the ends to lessen the screams and claps. When i make the Cd’s I am mindful to keep things tight but as complete as possible to conserve space. I can fit 20 tracks on one Cd if I am careful.

I use this website:

Make sure the bit rate setting is at 64. sometimes it says there is an error, but just click the “make a ringtone” icon again and it will be fine.

Hope this is clear and helpful to anyone wishing to make things to go on your Ipod or any media player.

Abrra

Thanks, Abrra!!! {{{hugs}}}

What program do you use to edit the mp3s? (The same one?)

22. Abrra says:

TOfan
    I trim the ends with http://makeownringtone.com/ That’s the extent of editing I do. I made ringtones for my IPhone with it as well. It has a drop down menu to choose the correct format.

Abrra

Abrra – my angel of video making – have you also magically spirited along some of your artistry as well? My computer is down (issue from when we had upgrades done over Christmas) so am on hubby’s laptop. Our computer guy is tending his wife who – today – had a serious operation. So, don’t know when I will get a chance to try it all out! I dare NOT do anything on the laptop, heaven forbid.

Abrra PS – I will probably listen to your CD all year long, it is just lovely – am lovin’ A Merry Christmas To Me.

25. Abrra says:

TOfan
    i posted a reply earlier , its not here. maybe I forgot to hit submit?

I use the ringtone maker site to edit mp3’s.

awestruck
    Thank you for the nice words on the CD. I must say that David singing live is timeless and has no season. It never gets old.

Abrra

26. Abrra says:

I have way too much time on my hands.

Find your snow angel name.

I typed in my real name and this is my name.

Star the Angel of Mistletoe Kisses

haha

Abrra

OK my Snow Angel Name is…

Ivy the Angel of Warm Apple Cider

HMMM?!?

28. SandyBeaches says:

To chime in, my name is..

Christina the Angel of Present Giving…

Oh awestruck, you would get…Warm Apple Cider…love it!

SB

omigosh Abrra, oops I mean “Star the Angel of Mistletoe Kisses” 😆 I love uuuu, that is too much fun …

… I’m “Holly the Angel of Christmas Caroling” LOVE it!!!! hahahaha

I heart you too Ivy the Angel of Warm Apple Cider! 🙂

glory the angel of tree decorating!!!!

31. conditioner says:

I am Christy the Angel of Christmas Movies>>??????haha.

32. Abrra says:

refnaf
    Was that you I saw teetering atop my tree Christmas eve? 😉

Abrra

hahahha Abrra, yes!!!

34. KathyH says:

What fun! Saw your tweet and had to check it out. I am Angelina and Angel of Fresh Snow.

I know. I know. I owe a lot of people (including myself) an apology. LOL.

35. KathyH says:

Angelina THE Angel of Fresh Snow.

David is “Noel the Angel of Present Giving” … how perfect is that? 😆

Tree Decorating & Christmas Movies FTW!!!

KathyH,
    go easy on that Fresh Snow! LOL

ahh warm cider on a cold winter’s night, but SB you get to hand out presents!!! I love watching people open the presents I give them.

Tofan, I didn’t know you could sing?

Between us all we have the makings of a lovely night of friends singing along with the movies we watch by the angelicly decorated Christmas tree then sharing cider to soothe our throats as we open presents followed by hugs and kisses all around!

I just missed your comment KathyH… let’s amend to say cozy and warm inside while freshly falling pure white angel snow coats the outdoor landscape…

Aww awestruck, you paint the most beautiful picture! … and with Mr. Noel himself handing out presents (with SB), what a dream!

Speaking of dreams, Abrra’s worked her magic again with this beautiful video matching David’s FOG with the Olympic skating performance by Michelle Kwan that introduced him to Eva Cassidy’s music. Wow, just wow.

41. Lisa says:

holy cow just discovered this great david sight…and awestruck i think i sat by you at David’s slc show on his solo tour, floor level, you and your hubby???? you were sooo cool and excited, great article thanks.

Welcome, Lisa!!!

Feel free to check out your Snow Angel name at:
    http://www.quizopolis.com/snow-angel-name-generator.php 😆

okay…. these names are too cool…. David’s is especially perfect….

44. betsy says:

“gabriella, the angel of tree decorating”

Lisa – glad you found Snowangelz – Were you with a friend there? Last row of chairs on the floor at the very left end of the row on the left side (as you faced the stage)? I had a little Canadian flag that I was waving…

betsy – glad you could join us at our little get together!

47. djafan says:

“Angelica the Angel of Tree Decorating”

That’s my Snow Angel name….funny I don’t like decorating trees…lol

48. Sunshine says:

Cool site Abrra… I’m Gabriella the Angel of Warm Fireplaces. Love it!

49. Lisa says:

Awestruck…YES that was me!!! I knew this was you b/c you told me your “david”name and i always remembered awestruck…and you were…it was your 1st time to see david and my 5th, you were so thrilled and I couldn’t believe you came form Canada!!!
    ( i drove 20 min) lol. So glad i found you…I could tell you were a great person …and a wonderful david fan. ive bookmarked this sight, so i’ll be around. SWEET

50. Lisa says:

And BTW TOfan thanks for the link i checked it out and i’m …the glorious stocking stuffer…hahaha

51. セリーヌ says: