California Dreamin’ Part 2: I left my heart in San Francisco

"Hellooooo, San Franciscooooo!" (Photo: Gengen)

I must say that, in hindsight, the San Francisco VIP experience was a “coulda, shoulda, woulda” moment for me.  David was so tired in sound check/meet-and-greet my heart ached for him.  Four nights in a row seems just too much for someone who gives more than his all at every performance.

During sound check I wish that I had jumped up and said “yes please” when David asked if anyone wanted to hear What Child Is This —  consistently my favorite song on the album.  Especially,  as he did not sing it either night — Santa Rosa or San Francisco.

Also, after seeing David so visible tired – exhausted really – while waiting my turn to “meet & greet,” I wanted to ask him how he was feeling and to reassure him that his fans would appreciate whatever he was able to give them that night.  Sigh. Instead I told him his concert the night before had “all kinds of awesomeage in it” and turned to pose for the picture.

Tonight — unlike last night when I was demonically focused on figuring out exactly what it was I wanted to say — I took the opportunity to observe David more closely.  I did not expect him to be tall, but what surprised me was, despite his broad shoulders, how slight he is in stature.   Not in demeanor though.  His body language gives you the feeling that he truly wants to meet you.  Such a giving person and how he does this, night after night, reflects the absolute joy and thankfulness he has for his fans.

The show must go on

My respect and admiration for David increased 100-fold in San Francisco.  This concert was all about grit, determination and HEART. Some highlights:

• Fields of Gold again floated through me with his sublime mastery.
  • Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas – a surprise to have Lupe join David.  What a wonderful treat.  Lupe has a lovely voice and a confident, relaxed stage presence.  It was evident in the tone of David’s voice as he introduced her how much he loved having her there.  Truly felt the beauty of the sound of their voices together, which was made even more special because of the obvious close bond between them.  And, as moms tend to do, she tried to get him to dance with her – much to his embarrassment.  A loving hug at the end.
  • Ave Maria was tender in its reverence this night.
  • Silent Night was sung with a more intense focus than the night before, an inspirational ending to the concert with several people calling out “Thank You, David!” at its end.
  • Encore: O Holy Night.

I heard about David’s “my voice is shot” tweet shortly before the concert began.  It wasn’t anything I hadn’t already suspected.  David struggled the entire night, fiddling with his in-ear monitors, adjusting the sound device he carries at his back, lowering the high notes or singing them ever so softly and carefully during his pop set, and drinking water after every song.

The strain evident on his face just about broke my heart.  He tried to maintain his singing energy level and was, for the most part, successful.  Yet he was, at the same time, trying to conserve that same energy with less banter and not as much movement.  There was more emotion in every song than the night before and particularly in the ones I mentioned above (I asked myself how was this possible?).

Throughout the night, the audience (the lower section for sure) acknowledged his efforts by remaining on its feet the entire time, encouraging him.  I waffled between enjoying what he was able to do – which was utterly remarkable – and hurting for him as I watched him struggle.

As David ended Silent Night, he seemed a bit stunned and mesmerized for a moment by the audience’s response to him.  He gamely smiled, said thank you and quickly took his leave.  I honestly thought he was not going to return for an encore, but when he did and once more stood behind the microphone he said that this song [O Holy Night] was a difficult one to sing and although it would be a challenge for him to sing this song tonight, he wanted to try to do it for us.

He did a beautiful job.  My immediate impression was that it was as good as the night before.  After he sang the last note, smiling seemed an effort for him and you could see him simply deflate.  His posture slumped and what little energy he had drained right out of him.

He stood for a half minute or so hanging onto the mike stand for dear life just absorbing the crowd’s incredible response to his effort.  Gathering himself up, he smiled then hunkered down and moved quickly to touch all the hands reaching up to him from in front of the stage.  Upon his exit I sat, broke down and wept.

Awestruck

Post-script
It really upset me so to see David so very tired and struggling with his voice in San Francisco, but according to all info re Anaheim David was back in fine form!  Wouldn’t it be nice to be so young that a few hours sleep and a day off with family gets you going again at full speed?

This entry was posted in Concert recap, Fan experience and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to California Dreamin’ Part 2: I left my heart in San Francisco

From end of last thread:

From munkmusic:
    Here is another arrangement of Come Thou Fount Of Every Blessing that David might be acquainted with.

From Abrra:
    WOW awestruck, you had such an adventure seeing David! I guess the secret to recalling your moment may be having a buddy to “watch’ the event.

I love this site. I am all woozy from scrolling down to post. Having to scroll past all the David vids and pics is truly a joy. nice job!

I am back from a nasty computer virus (tweetdeck DM link thing) and have the 24/7 video site back up to current status. All are welcome!

Abrra

Awestruck,
    I know that you intended to say something else to David in the M&G, but I bet he loved hearing the SR show was “all kinds of awesomeage” LOL (LOVE that! hahaha).

Thanks for sharing your highs and lows and everything in between with us… seeing David sing with Lupe must have been so very special … they light each other up, don’t they?

Thanks, Abrra! *waves!*
    Glad to hear you’re now computer-virus-free!

FYI, still time to vote in Toronto’s CHFI radio New Music Poll at http://www.chfi.com (the clip they play is exactly 5 words long … at least it’s David, not Charice! lol)

3. janey79 says:

awestruck…there’s also a moment after OHN that David offers up a prayer, he goes “away” for a moment or two and then returns. It was most noticeable in SLC, the second night where he actually put his fingers together and took a little more time than usual. Oh course, I have no idea what he’s saying but if pressed to guess I would think it’s a prayer of gratitude.

btw, lovely to have met you ♥

Janey!!! *waves*

Great interview at NorthJersey.com HERE … be sure to check out Page 2!

Fave bits:

“I don’t feel old enough to be married to anything, but I guess you could say I am married to music.”

[About Ave Maria] “That has just been a really special song to sing and I feel like it’s a really reverent one. It is about someone who was really special. You know, the Virgin Mother, Mary.

It’s interesting because …I almost didn’t put it in the show because it was so hard to sing and I didn’t want it to be a letdown every night. I would feel horrible doing that.

“I told myself I was going to try it for the first two shows in Utah and then just drop it from there. But I just enjoyed singing it so much and felt that it was such a special song. I knew it was a hard song to sing but told myself I was going to try and go for it anyway.

… “I love my mother (Laughs).”

Awestruck, thanks for part two!! This:

“He stood for a half minute or so hanging onto the mike stand for dear life just absorbing the crowd’s incredible response to his effort. Gathering himself up, he smiled then hunkered down and moved quickly to touch all the hands reaching up to him from in front of the stage. Upon his exit I sat, broke down and wept.”

**sniff** crying with you…

and this: “I did not expect him to be tall, but what surprised me was, despite his broad shoulders, how slight he is in stature. Not in demeanor though. His body language gives you the feeling that he truly wants to meet you. Such a giving person and how he does this, night after night, reflects the absolute joy and thankfulness he has for his fans.”
    Your insight…. wow, thanks for sharing. I feel so blessed eveytime I read a recap, cause i just can’t seem to formulate my own…. ty.

(((janey))) you met awestruck?? lucky you !!and her to meet you! David fanfriends FTW!

Quite amazing the song David would choose for his only ipod song. tells you where his heart is.

Going now to read that latest interview. Married to his music??
    woot.

Hey Janey – back atcha, it was lovely talking to you to. I think that OHN is one of if not the Christmas song that means the most to David. I was sooo lucky to be able to hear him sing it twice.

TOfan – awesomage FTW!

(refnaf) – thanks for sharing tears with me. He really does it to me in such a great way.

How about this interview by 101.9 Cara’s Connection:

just scroll down a wee bit to click on David’s interview. Laughter ensues when David calls himself dorky and ackward while on AI and neat to hear his take on ‘being anonymous’ while on tour in the UK

Thanks, Awestruck,
    Just listened to that interview, one of the very best I’ve ever heard. Good questions and she really listened to David’s answers and let him expand on things.

And he’s so well-spoken and insightful when talking about performance “characters” and the difference between gradually building a career as an artist and achieving instant celebrity on A.I. Also loved hearing his enthusiasm about performing “with a clean slate” in the U.K.

The über-talented Jenleighbarry sent her latest creation:

8. quiteblanc says:

Awestruck,

Your recap brought back so much memory. After seeing him at VIP, I was so worried about him. My heart went up and down with his maneuver through ALTNOY to save energy. He worked so hard to finish the concert. However, some first timers in the audience had no idea that he was about to lose his voice. I held my breath most of the time during the 2nd half. My hands were swollen and red at the end because I applauded so hard. I was exhausted but glad and relieved when it was over. I respect David’s work ethic even more after SF concert. He is an amazing young man!

quiteblanc – it was a roller coaster night of emotions for me too. If there is a down side to being an ODD fan, them maybe this is it.

“However, some first timers in the audience had no idea that he was about to lose his voice.” This is sooo true.

The U.K. blog FemaleFirst posts about CFTH:

Loved this: “Any of you who have read my blog, will know I’ve got a bit of a thing for the little sweetheart 😆

New BillboardLive press release HERE.

Dang weather has closed sections of the Highway to Heaven (aka the road from T.O. to David’s Cleveland concert) … will keep you posted!

In the meantime, an HQ SLC Ave Maria vid (Tina):