I remember when….

david-archuleta-in-recording-studio-recording-rainbow-for-forevermore-opm-cr-kari… I remember, I remember when I lost my mind

There was something so pleasant about that place

Even your emotions had an echo

In so much space

And when you’re out there

Without care

Yeah, I was out of touch

But it wasn’t because I didn’t know enough

I just knew too much

Does that make me crazy?

Does that make me crazy?

Does that make me crazy?

Probably

And I hope that you are having the time of your life

But think twice, that’s my only advice

Come now, who do you, who do you, who do you, who do you think you are?

Ha ha ha bless your soul

You really think you’re in control

Well, I think you’re crazy

I think you’re crazy

I think you’re crazy

Just like me

This entry was posted in Fan experience and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to I remember when….

1. angelofdja says:

Crazy…Freaky…Creepy…What ever it may be, I am an addict. Addicted to the gorgeousness of David and that VOICE of his! #DA2014

2. Sheebla says:

I just love it when I see there is a new post from you! I remember how much I
    loved those AI interviews!

3. amb4da says:

So funny to see this post here, because it’s this site a few weeks ago where I discovered
    JR’s Casbaa HK “Crazy” for the first time, (someone posted on your “Soul man from Utah” thread, and I’ve been addicted to listening to it since then…it is perfection…. so soulful it hurts.
    I made the bf listen. He’s prone to tease me, relentlessly, about my O.D.D. He thinks I’ve lost my mind but supports “from afar”, accompanying me on trips but not concerts, only listening once for a bit during outdoor Myrtle Beach 2 yrs ago. He does think David seems like a great guy, is hugely talented and should have won Season 7. He listened, asked me to play the original by Gnarls…then said emphatically, “I like David’s better.” I could see it on his face as he listened…no eye-rolling resistance, but was captivated. (I love when that happens with the DA magic.)
    He also brought up an interesting “non-O.D.D. fan” observation…he said, “I bet if you played that to people, without them knowing who it was, without any preconceived notions or prejudices they might have for David, they’d think that was great, and it’s a shame, but just a fact that some people are influenced that way.” (That’s crazy in my book.) I’m so glad I’m open to music I love from any source. It’s why we all put up with the David-teasing…it really doesn’t matter, once the music starts. I think/hope more people that “hear” without judging will find his music, organically, over time…and I think that’s all he cares to capture, while being who he wants to be and not selling out for the masses. Just my opinion.

• davidarchiefan4life says:

That is so interesting, your boyfriend’s observations about David’s image and preconceived notions/prejudices about him.

I have often wondered about the trade-off of American Idol. You are set up with a certain fanbase who voted for you but others who didn’t (or who dismiss anyone who comes from American Idol) always associate you (negatively) with that show, and it can be hard to break away from that. I really hope David can follow in Kelly Clarkson’s footsteps that way. Keep working, performing, recording so no one can deny your talent and eventually the Idol association fades into the background.

• amb4da says:

I asked him what prejudices he thought people had…it was more than Idol, which I actually think is the least hinderance. Kelly, Carrie, Daughtry, even Scotty McCreary (really?!)…no problem. If the public likes you, Idol is accepted as a launch pad in today’s music biz…just like YouTube is now. With David, and this says far more our culture… some say he’s too “goody goody”, or it’s the “Mormon thing”, or they think “tween image” from his Idol days, and didn’t look beyond. He doesn’t fit pop-culture as it is (THANK GOODNESS!!) As someone said in that “Confessions thread”…”the Kim K##### embracing crowd, doesn’t deserve David!” I believe that’s why other cultures, like Asia, embrace him differently and he feels comfortable there…they have a different sensibility that his musical style and shy, polite personality fits. We’ve become more brash, crude and dumbed down here. But there is an audience for David…it may take a while, and other paths than the conventional, commercial route, and that may suit him just fine. Maybe even some of the original nay-sayers may take notice one day, with fresh eyes & ears, as David matures & continues to put out new music and market himself in various ways.

• newangel2 says:

I’m the one who said a certain segment (which seems to be pretty big considering how well m#### ##### and K## ########## sell) of the population doesn’t deserve him. I definitely agree that we’ve become more brash, crude and dumbed down. It would be wonderful to see him get the respect he deserves from a bigger audience but it may never happen here. I’m at peace with that.

As I saw on one tumblr, a fan in Brazil (I think) was talking to a missionary who was in the MTC with David and she said something along the lines of I wish he had more fans and he said, he has the right fans. I think that’s so true (with a few exceptions, ha ha!). I just want him to be able to support himself and be able to pick and choose projects and work with those he wants to work with.

As far as Crazy, that third one is my favorite and I pinned it on Pinterest under “People I Would Make Cookies For.” Hey, a girl can dream.

He actually said he “has the right fans”?? Cool! That reminds me of a quote I read from Jerry Garcia about Grateful Dead fans: ““Our audience is like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice really like licorice.”

I don’t know about licorice, but I’m sure David would love your cookies. 🙂

• refnaf says:

“The right fans”?? o my heck…. he is too much

4. betsy says:

“I’ve just been loving music for so long.” ♥
    I haven’t seen this interview in so long, thanks for the reminder.
    Also, “When I first started singing I was around age of seven.”
    I’m not even done looking at the links, just had to comment.
    Plus, he was so happy singing Shop Around, that beautiful smile when he was singing.

• Anonymous says:

I remember when I lost my mind too and Shop Around and those interviews where he speaks so eloquently about the power of music added up to the ODD I know and love today. 🙂

5. Angelica says:

I’m one of the few it seems who loves the Gnarls Barkley version of Crazy. Used to put it in the CD player as soon as I got in my car for the ride home from work. But then David reinvented it and it became a whole different experience. He made a good song incredible. You know, like always. 🙂 BTW, the AI viewing party is my favorite but it’s all good. Thanks for the memories, Deb.

6. KH says:

I liked the original. Love the David version. He generally makes meanings clearer to me, or reinterprets in a way that I relate to more.

I remember when I first him sing on a Utah Station, I think, in July 2008: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPqexpesfDw

and the Kuala Lumpur performance:

It’s all good!!!

So apparently someone sang Crazy tonight on The Voice….

• refnaf says:

That would be interesting to hear…. and compare

• Grammyj says:

I heard it. His sang it with a guitar and had a gravely voice so it didn’t sound like David’s version. It had too many runs per Adam Levine and me. I like how David sings it better.

Crazy is one of my all time fave covers that David does…. I don’t even know what to say about it…

10. trace says:

I have never met anyone who didn’t rave about David’s version of Crazy or claimed it as their favourite. That says alot, I guess, about which direction he should go. 🙂