I am David, hear me roar

Just when I think I’ve experienced all the emotions possible on this rollercoaster ride of fandom – reflection, pride, anticipation, love, anxiety, awe — David Archuleta manages to surprise me with something new.

With this week’s Idol Imagine performance, the subsequent follow up interviews (J14, Idol Chatter, Idolsnow, Ryan Seacrest) and Friday’s Good Things Utah appearance, I have sensed a profound change in David – his more assured musical impact, outward demeanor and overall presence.

Is it because of the hiatus or Archudrought I have come through, not having seen him for a while? For I have been in the shadows re the David fan world recently, having taken a step back in terms of my active thoughts and by-the-minute reactions. Perhaps this is why it has hit me with a vengeance.

Since Wednesday  night, bloggers, interviewers and new fans have commented on the obvious maturity of David’s voice and appearance. This is to be expected as a natural phenomenon. But, this is not what has me shaking my head in wonderment. He has grown his hair during this time, but that is only the tip of the iceberg of change that I witness in him. An assured confidence has emerged in David. He is fierce!

Though I knew it was coming, he is now a much stronger force to be reckoned with; this growth happening faster that I could ever have imagined. A coming into his own comfort zone being supported by his inner strength, making itself known through his newfound ability to express himself – his thoughts, ideas and wishes.

Perhaps a consequence of the time spent reflecting back on his life while writing Chords of Strength, more involvement with the songwriting process? From a self-profession of cheesiness, to publicly acknowledging in an active way the importance of his spiritual nature, to directly addressing questions about his father, David has dumbfounded me.

David at the Real Salt Lake soccer game to sing TMH with Jonah from Make a Wish.

He is now facing these possibly sensitive issues head on, with his typical lack of artifice, yet with a calm self-assuredness that is astounding.

awestruck
P.S. Priceless pics of David singing with Jonah … more can be found HERE (pages 7, 8, 9):

This entry was posted in Fan experience and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to I am David, hear me roar

David keeps amazing me over and over and over. Like you’d think at some point he would reach a peak where he can’t out-do himself anymore, wouldn’t you? Nope.

And I think this book tour will bring out all of David’s fierceness! And I’m excited 😀 (except that I’m guessing there won’t be Canadian dates…)

Also David seems to think the music he’s been working on reflects this new him too. I am also super excited to hear it!

2. vermeer says:

awestruck!! Wonderful observations! You mention the book writing and song writing as having given him the time to reflect back on his life and himself. Great point! He is a smart and wise beyond his years 19-year old, maturing further. He has dumbfounded me too! Brian Manfield who interviewed him recently was asked if David really said “I’m not going to pretend to be somebody else just to humor society” because it didn’t “sound” like David, but we now know with absolute certainty he did. His “calm self-assuredness” is indeed astounding.

3. KathyH says:

You know, I’ve been a “goner” for David for quite a while, but this new David has increased my appreciation for him so much more. So I’m a step or two past a “goner,” I guess. Not sure what you’d call that, but I can say that I am a much happier person.

4. KathyH says:

Great post, by the way. Should have led with that.

awestruck, great post! There have been glimpses of Fierce David before but, you’re right, he’s def. taken it up a notch … or two … okay three. Remember when he used to be all “I can’t believe this is actually happening to me”? Well, it looks like it’s finally sunk in and not only is he accepting that it’s happening, but he’s happy and thriving with each new step.

abanana77, I know, how DOES he keep outdoing himself like that? I have to say I’m not holding my breath for Cdn book tour dates either, but fingers def. crossed for music tour dates! 🙂

vermeer, I’d forgotten about that quote! Yes, no doubt he said it now! (Although I never doubted he said it, did you?)

Here’s a priceless vid of David singing with little Jonah from Make A Wish. The mini-hunkerdown??? *sniff*

abanana – “Like at some point he would reach a peak” Oh my, but this kid just keeps on growing and growing… he may, indeed never reach a peak. And, I was trying to temper my excitment for his new album/CD, but NOW he has me in a tither about it.

(((vermeer))) isn’t there a saying/quote about reflecting back on your life being good for your soul?

KathyH – Thanks and I am too so far gone!

TOfan – David is not only accepting of what is happening, but acknowledging the realities of it as well and now making it work for him by dealing with things head on.

TOfan, I cried when I saw Jonah sing “face”… hunkered down like David. Would love to see it from the front angle. Here’s hoping someone has captured it and will upload…

The Jonah video is killing me! I am so happy he got the day of his life ❤ I am also really hoping for a front view/the whole song…

TOfan – I am also crossing my fingers for Canadian music tour dates!

10. pabuckie says:

Awestruck — what a beautiful article and so well said!! David is really growing before our very eyes. He is fascinating, isn’t he? This 19 year old has taught me so much already. I can’t wait to read his Book and hear his new music!

(((Awestruck))) good to “see” you♥ Thanks for this…. David IS fierce!!! But it is such a loving, respectful, understanding fierceness… I feel very thankful to have people I can be blown away with! That’s what he does, makes us all totally gone goners (lol, TOfan)
    Awestruck> he is “coming into his own comfort zone being supported by his inner strength, making itself known through his newfound ability to express himself – his thoughts, ideas and wishes” When I reflect on the fact that it has been 2 years, I feel even more amazed as well by his growth, and yet his voice and persona is just as fresh and wonderfully surprising as when I first heard him.
    Book and new music FTW
    TOfan> I did listen to the idolsnow interview, once and early in the morning before work… He spoke about the book… and what I remember most was when asked about his fave book he said “The Alchemist”, what a great story it is and how much he loves Paulo Coelho.

12. cassidy says:

When I watched David on AI singing “Imagine”, I really noticed the maturity in the way he sang the song by accompanying himself with the piano. He seemed so confident and the beauty of the song, his piano playing & the glorious look on his face was just amazing. Then he brought along Jonah to The Blaze and did such a fantastic performance there at halftime. Then to top everything off he goes to the Real Salt Lake Soccer Game and sings “Touch My Hand” with that darling Jonah!! David Archuleta the voice, the persona, the young man is just unbelievable!! I’m so proud to be his fan!!

13. Joner says:

GREAT post Awestruck! Loved it! Yes, FIERCE!

That picture of David in the gangway to the soccer field has me all @#$^&*&^%$@!!

Who is that young man??? When did this happen???

GAH!!!

pabuckie – jI’m afraid to blink in case I miss something!

refnaf – (((ditto))) – part of the magic of this whole fan experience (a very first for me) is being able to share the joy, awareness, etc. with other fans who feel the same.

cassidy welcome – David is the whole package ‘destined for superstardom’ and now I feel a little bit better about the feeling that, yes, he will be able to cope with it all. It would be priceless to see his face when Jonah sings that power note. From the back it sure looked like he was enjoying the moment!

Joner – like I mentioned above don’t blink in case you miss something. A striking young man indeed.

oops, meant to add that I wonder what Paula’s reaction/comments would be to have seen David’s performance

gotta up-date my avi, must spend time looking through David pic’s, sigh such a tough job LOL

Here’s a shaky video that captures David & Jonah on the Jumbotron … Tissue alert: Be ready when Jonah has his solo part! *sniff*

oh TOfan – I’ve shed enough tears today! David engaging Jonah and getting him to sing, what a kind soul he is.

OK dying over that video.

Josie & abanana!!!! IdolsNow vids are back up (but who knows for how long!):

Part 1:

Part 2 (I’d watch this one first!):

Part 3:

David & Jonah’s mom watching Jonah play (thanks to @AnnieDAFG):
    David and J's mom

Super large original HERE. 🙂

And more about Jonah’s story HERE.

And in case anyone missed the Ryan interview, the lovely DAsquaredmusic put the audio up on YouTube!

Thank you for that great read Awestruck. Yes, David is a good force to be reckoned with! I am so impressed with his growth and maturity and feel so proud of David. I keep asking that question too, how is it possible for him to keep improving, yet he does it. I guess it is the maturing process and I can’t help but keep saying to myself…Bravo David! I can only imagine what the next few years will be like for David (and for all of his fans)!
    David and Jonah….so heart melting, loved that so much.
    His recent interviews…..awe inspiring for a 19 yr old.
    Of course I still have Imagine on the brain, sure it will be there for a while.
    As for book tour dates in Canada, not holding my breath either but like others I am so hoping for a few dates up here when he does his next music tour with the new album out there.
    David has changed his management, I’m hoping it will mean some positive change for him.
    This is the more mature David, entering a new phase of his life (as he said). Can’t wait to see more of this awesome phase!

Do you guys hear David say “You can do this” to Jonah right before he does his solo bit in tmh??? Still dyyyyying over that.

abanana, love that! And just noticed Jonah bouncing with him at “Can’t let the music stop” and then stretching out his hand like David at “sparkle of a million flashlights” then at “Reach out to you, touch my hand” *melts*

awestruck, love your new avi!!!! awwww

peppertara, yes might have to work “Imagine Brain” into things, right beebee? 😆

peppertara thanks! Book tour in Canada we can only hope.

abanana – I think you are right – after David says to Jonah, ‘you know this part’ I think he does say ‘you can do it’ and does Jonah ever put his heart into it!

Yes the “you can do it” is hard to hear but unbelievably amazing <3333

Also Jonah totally knows the song really well! Haha like at the end when he sings "touch my ha-an-and" just like David does on the track. He's totally a fan 🙂

27. madeline Alvarez says:

David is a very kind and considerate individual. He has come a very long way. I’m extremely proud to be a fan of his, I will continue to be one! His personality has developed into a wonderful MAN. To see David with Jonah made me so excited and tears came to my eyes. I just LOVE this kid.

I keep thinking about how David was totally focused on Jonah the whole time, it was no photo op for him, he was genuinely enjoying having fun with Jonah and getting to know him. Chokes me up every time I think about it.

Welcome Madeline!!!

Brooke White talks about her dinner with Cook & our David:

“We talked about so many different things,” Brooke said. “Our new records; I listened to some of Cook’s new demos, which sound great. He’s written so much, like 30 or 40 songs! We were telling stories, like this one about the stinky quarter, long story. … We reminisced a little bit, about different moments on the show that were funny. It always feels good to be back with them. I just love these people. That thing we all went through together, which was pretty life-changing, crazy and hard and exciting — we’ll always have that bond.”

Stinky quarter? 😆

Rest of interview HERE.

David was totally focused on Jonah – I even wonder if David asked Jonah which song to sing (a stretch, I know!)

Not much of a stretch, didn’t he tweet earlier that Jonah knew the words to all his songs! Bet he also does a mean Crush! 🙂

Did you guys see the other segment about Jonah? David isn’t in it really (you can see him for like one second) but Jonah is ridiculously adorable <3333333 He talks about how much he loves Kyle Beckerman.

32. SandyBeaches says:

“I am David hear me roar”…I love it, love it….Oh and David, we hear you!!

Does the heart good to see David with the young boy Jonah. (Do I sound like an old timer?)

SB

OH MY HECK, you guys have got to see this (from Archuleta Avenue) — no sound but closeup of David & Jonah’s “faaaaaaaaaace” lol:

OMHeck TOfan what a prize!

TOfan, OMG – David looks like he could explode with happiness and Jonah, best hunkerdown I’ve ever seen!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh I have been hoping for a video of this! David’s face! <33333333333

That is actually the happiest I think I’ve ever seen David! And he’s a pretty happy guy. But I don’t think I’ve ever seen a smile that huge on his face ever.

“explode with happiness” is about right! David’s outright LOLing, can’t get enough of this vid!!!

@AnnieDAFG tweeted she is going to try to link this closeup with the audio … glad she warned us in advance! 😆

39. archiesfan4life says:

I can’t stop watching those precious few moments in that video – thank you TOfan for finding this! AND now we might have it with audio – I am not sure my heart can take that!

40. River says:

love the post and really love the vids and comments. this week has had me on such an UP..ever since the Ryan interview where I nearly fell off my computer chair. FIERCE indeed. I love that he’s in charge of his life and we all know by now to always trust the Archulator. He’s in NYC right now.. an hour away. GAH.Write that great music , David. We’re right here waiting for it and you.

the vid with audio – more tears for sure. Such a joyous moment for David and for his fans to appreciate.

River – I wish the tweets would come as to who David is working with…

Here’s @AnnieDAFG’s vid!!!

AHHHH OMgosh!! Precious! David looks so into it…. and Jonah must have seen the pro do it a few times…. me thinks mom must be a fan!!!
    TY AnnieDAFG:)

River **waves** I am still saving some Olympic quarters for you or did you get them??

Awestruck> here is a tweet from D: Writing session today with @Jremyofm , @Bonnybassofm , and @Cjai
    I don’t know who they are… hmmm

45. Abrra says:

awestruck
    “So fast have these changes occurred that they have my head spinning and my heart bursting with a prideful acknowledgment of the emergence of a more definitive direction heralded by David himself — a new phase of David, indeed.”

For weeks we looked at him with his beanie, hiding his lovely hair in transition. Some of us imagined his coal black locks tumbling down or a frame of curls framing his handsome face.

Confession:
    When the music started and the camera panned down to the shadows where David sat at the piano, I wasn’t sure WHO IT WAS! It took me a good 10 seconds to process the face with the hair

face+hair= new David look

My mouth was agape and my eyes were all squinty as I stared at the hair and tried to process that it was really HIM. 😉
    I am still not sure what to make of the hair. Changes indeed!

Abrra

46. YJfanofdavid says:

Awestruck: Thank you for articulating beautifully our amazedness at the events over the past week — the beginning of a new phase in David’s journey.

Abrra, It also took me a good 10 seconds to register who it was at the piano! He looked BOTH younger and older — don’t ask me how that’s possible.

Refnaf: Either Jonah is the smallest/most adorable person-with-ODD, or he is a genius and picked up Archu-hunkerdown instantaneously at David’s sound check, OR Jonah’s mom is busted! lol

OK – so some info on the writers/producers in NYC

– Jeremy Skaller keyboardist email: Jeremy is currently a record producer in NYC. He and his partner Robert Larow formed a production/remix team called “The Orange Factory …

– bobby bass?!? – google says he is a stunt performer/stunt coordinator OOPS BONNY bass – DynPort Vaccine Company Names Bonny Bass Director of the Project Management Office

OK I need to refine my google techniques, either that or stop trying to figure out real names from twitter names LOL

refnaf I tried! LOL

abrra/YJ new look for sure – I knew it was him by THE VOICE but had to look twice too.

I think Jonah’s Mom is busted. Jonah had to have seen that hunkerdown more that once as he nailed it!

YJ- I thought he looked younger and older at the same time too!!! Haha. I think it’s because I associate that haircut of his to some picture of him when he’s like 13/14? So initially I was like “woah he looks YOUNG” and then I saw his face and I was like “woah he looks OLD”. Haha I don’t think I’m making much sense either.

awestruck, this is one of my all time fav articles! Very nicely done.

Being a David fan is unlike anything I have ever experienced in my life, and to be able to watch the artist of a generation, imho, mature and grow and unfold and reveal himself right before our very eyes is almost too much to absorb and to deal with.

Then the tweets about the half dozen or so professionals David is working with today… tweets about his timeless voice… throw in a Jonah video… aaaahhhhh!…. it is too much! It turns you into, idk, like this single cell…. a quivering, dazed, confused, yet joyful single cell organism that needs just one thing for survival……. DJA.

I know exactly what you guys mean about that older/younger thing … isn’t that always the way with David, ageless, timeless, … a childlike old soul … ouch, my head hurts! 😆

Jonah’s mom is def. busted! lol Here’s another closeup vid with sound!

Bingo emmegirl ” it is too much! It turns you into, idk, like this single cell…. a quivering, dazed, confused, yet joyful single cell organism that needs just one thing for survival……. DJA.”

emme, “It turns you into, idk, like this single cell…. a quivering, dazed, confused, yet joyful single cell organism that needs just one thing for survival……. DJA.” Holy Primordial Ooze, I think you’re right! … still not sure tho’ whether I am a single cell or need to be locked up in one! 😆

54. rosemary says:

TOfan, hope that cell is big enough for the rest of us!

emme thanks! this ageless David will win new fans surely and steadily, except when that single cell explodes, multiplies…