The Other Side of Down: Celebrating the miraculous rescue of the Chilean miners

Like many of you, I was moved to tears Tuesday night watching the rescue of the first of the 33 miners who’d been trapped in a Chilean mine, 600 metres underground, for more than two months. For the first 17 days after the Aug. 5 mine collapse, these 33 men had no contact with the outside world and had no idea if anyone would ever find them.

I was on the edge of my seat late into the night, and then the next day, watching miner after miner being miraculously pulled from The Other Side of Down into safety and the waiting arms of loved ones. Watching the rescue capsule ascend the first time, my husband jokingly starting singing “Elevator goes up!” but it was actually the TOSOD lyrics — “gonna keep climbing, gonna keep fighting, until I make it to the other side” – that kept ringing through my head (and probably through a lot of other fans’ heads, too!).

I casually mentioned on Twitter yesterday that I wished that I had the know-how to make a video matching the incredibly moving footage of the trapped miners and their rescue with David Archuleta’s album title track.

And to my rescue came the amazing MomJulee, who stayed up late into the night last night making that happen. This is her wonderful video tribute to these brave souls.

“We have done what the entire world was waiting for,” Luis Urzua, the last miner to be rescued said to Chilean President Sebastian Pinera after his rescue. “The 70 days that we fought so hard were not in vain. We had strength, we had spirit, we wanted to fight, we wanted to fight for our families, and that was the greatest thing.”

The Other Side of Down
Here I am with all these questions hanging from my ceiling low
One by one they all keep telling me I told you so
Everywhere I turn I see red lights flashing over my head
Oh no, oh no, oh no
In a whirlwind spinning yeah somehow it knocked me off my feet
But I know better than to let it get the best of me,
I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on

So I put one foot front of the other,
No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride,
I keep climbing, gonna keep fighting until I make it to the other side of down

In the sky, I’m standing under all I see is endless rain
I think I spot a silver lining hiding in the grey
I might get tossed around, but I’m always bouncing back
oh.oh.oh
I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on,

So I put one foot front of the other,
No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride,
I keep climbing, gonna keep fighting until I make it to the other side of down

On the other side of down it keeps calling me, where I wanna be

On the other side of down it keeps calling me, where I wanna be

Where I wanna be

I put one foot front of the other,
No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride,
I keep climbing, gonna keep fighting until I make it to the other side of down

This entry was posted in Special event and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to The Other Side of Down: Celebrating the miraculous rescue of the Chilean miners

Bringing over from end of last thread:

From peppertara:

Kind of how I feel about David and his fans. 🙂

From embe:
    So I’m having a TOSOD listening party. By myself, but still. I’m having a BLAST. We have one of those home cinema-thingys with speakers all over, and the sound is so clear I can hear David’s tonsils flapping.
    Aaaanyway, I watched the deluxe dvd last night. I know all basketball players jump really high (or actually they don’t have to jump at all since they’re like 9 feet tall), but I bet they’d have nothing against one particular 5’6 half-Honduran. I mean, the guy is like Tigger in tight pants. And what the heck is up with the FLIRTING?!?!? The poor camera must get hot FLASHES. Get it? Flashes.

From awestruck:
    peppertara, “Well, it’s always been the same throughout history, whenever anything new, different and very good is introduced to the world it takes a while for the masses to adapt, accept and realize it’s greatness. Along the way there are always the supporters, understanding it right from the beginning.
    Kind of how I feel about David and his fans.”

So right.

MomJulee – thank you for that video and thanks TOfan for posting it. How fitting the lyrics are to this miraculous event

Oh my heck. That video is amazing! Props to MomJulee for putting it together so well, and so quickly! I was actually in tears by the end. I had not watched as much of the footage as I would have liked because of slow internet and/or school work. Some of that footage, I had never seen before. Especially the footage of them down in the mine!

Also, as oblivious as I am to the real world sometimes, I also had no idea that they had no contact with the outside world for 17 days (thanks for being my news source, TOfan, lol). Wow, I can not even imagine how terrible that would be. Such a miracle that the men had the spirit to go on and the rescuers could get them out.

4. HoustonRufus says:

Video is beautiful. I was incredibly moved by the mine rescue. We hear so much bad news and negative chatter here in the US media. It was humbling to see people in another part of the world remind us about the importance of the simple things, family, faith. The courage in which they faced their circumstances frankly leaves me awed.

And, of course, Julee would find a wonderful way to capture that.

awestruck, abanana & HoustonRufus, “awe” is the perfect word … how often do we get the chance to watch a tale of such extraordinary heart and courage unfold before our very eyes … and with a happy ending, to boot!

It reminded me how much we all need to be fortified by hope in these troubled times … and that David’s message in his music isn’t something to be dismissed as naive or cliche, but shared and celebrated as the bright light it truly is.

6. Heidijoy says:

Beautiful tribute!! I wish it could be televised. This was such a miracle and example of what can be done if people have faith and work together. David’s song and singing wrap up this event in a beautiful package carefully wrapped by Mom Julee and posted by Snow angelz.

7. Julee says:

Thanks so much for thinking of it Deb! I was tired, but it was fun! Those miners and the people of Chile are all an inspiration!

8. archiesfan4life says:

Thank you TOfan for posting this and all I can say about his amazing video, MomJulee, is that I am sending it to EVERYONE I know! I hope the whole world sees this.

David answers 21 Questions on alloy.com … I’ve posted it in the “Must See” sidebar, but just in case that doesn’t work, here’s the link and abanana, one of the questions is a math question!!! 😆 :

10. Abanana77 says:

Ahhhhhhh the math question. His giggle. Adorable. <333333 Love it!!!

Newsflash!
    The half-hour MTV interview show “10 on Top” just tweeted this:

@10onTop We’ve got @DavidArchie on tomorrow’s 10 on Top at 11:30am on MTV. He’s our idol.

Hope it’s on MuchMusic! (They’re based in NYC, so it should be on at 11:30 a.m. ET.)

12. Trish says:

Julee and Deb !!!! I love the vid …. 70 days !!!! I can’t even begin to imagine being trapped that long underground!!!

…. and the vid music set to “The Other Side of Down”!!!!!! … in my opinion one of the BESTEST songs and the title track on the CD !!!!

You guys ROCK!!! <33333333

Inspiration and laughs … thanks so much !!

13. Trish says:

and you got a pic of David holding the Canada Olympic Mittens!!!!!!!! Soooo cute!!!! WTG!!!! I love mine and will be wearing them soon with my BOOTS !!! woooohoooo!!!

OKbye 🙂

Love <333

{{{Trish!!!!!}}}

Will def. need a Twitpic of you in mitts & boots! LOL

😆

TOSOD is def. in my top 4 songs on the CD (other 3 are Elevator (surprise, surprise), STR and MKOP) … love them all, of course!

I’ve been thinking if they do ever release Falling Stars as a single (I know Eman’s been angling for that), they should do a vid that has a rock concert feel and maybe borrows from this vid:

I admit I don’t usually watch vids of Crush (hey, can’t watch everything, right? lol) … but this is a keeper (ClearChannel should film all his shows, wow, rock star vibe FTW!!!)

And do not miss this very cool B&W MGR of David salsa dancing over at beebee’s Planet Hunkerdown!

beebee’s MGR is so much fun too watch. Yes, I would say that David is BUSTED!

Wish I had beebee’s talent for making videos.

The “Princess Kelly” backup dancers are back, this time with STR! 😆

(k, will stop my spam-a-thon now, lol)

• beebee says:

{{{{TOfan}}}} I have too many thoughts (never a good thing…kiki) so take that hug as a substitute for lengthy, blog-hogging, unintelligible blither, ok? ok. LOVE Julee’s vid. ❤ Also love the Falling Stars and Crush vid up there. Niiiiice. OH, and PrincessKelly FTW! YO! lol. Gotta love THAT buncha first-class archu_lovin' silliness!

Awestruck, you are TOO kind. I think most everybody else makes far better vids than I do. I usually fiddle around with video "projects" in a totally "in the dark" kinda way… and very impatiently…and with iffy results. lol. However, I will say that the subject matter and great source vids I play with always seem to moooaaaar than make up for any lack of skillz. (That Archulator is one prit-tee effective distraction. He never fails.) But, thank you for the compliment. ❤

TOfan – I think that that Witchita station is killing us slowly dontch think? Crazy good videos. And could it be that the girls getting lifted out of the front of the crowd are these two???

You may have to scroll down the page about 3/4 of the way.

Thanks to TOfan for giving mom the idea, Mom this is so perfect… a perfect vid for the saga we watched unfold.

Beebee love your MGR!

Yay, yanweiz comes to the rescue of international fans! Here’s a youTube version of the David section of today’s MTV 10 on Top countdown:

Just found time to check out the lovely post here. The rescue of the Chilean miners was so emotionally grasping, for everyone I think. David’s song TOSOD is perfect as a ‘rescue message’ too, loved the video. It’s also my “feel really good” track on his album.
    Thanks to MomJulee and for your idea too TOfan, perfect!
    Great videos here and thanks for the MTV 10 on top. Beebee’s video MGR is wonderful, gotta love that dancing and connection between Mother and son!