Independence Day

Telling David about my friendships thanks to him (including Zoe, who took this photo).

If there is one thread that weaves its way through David Archuleta’s music and his fans, it’s this: Connection. Hearts and minds and souls have been linked across cyberspace and beyond borders, all with the same common bond – a deep connection felt through David Archuleta and his music.

On this July 4, TOfan thought it would be fitting to tell my story on a Canadian site because this journey we’re on truly crosses all divides. But where to begin?

I took my cue from David and went back to my journals.

Connections made through David's music cross cultures, generations ... even borders.

I have been a journal writer off and on for many years after attending a seminar by the late, beloved speaker Jim Rohn.   As I read through those entries I suddenly realized just how significant the changes have been and how these change are the result of the people who have been brought into my life because of my love for David Archuleta.

This journey we are traveling together has brought comfort and peace to so many for a myriad of personal reasons – some are heartbreaking stories.  Mine seems so small in comparison, but in the hope that others could relate, I felt I should step out of my comfort zone and give it a try.

I will start at the beginning

Like many others I’ve had to cope with some major personal life issues over many years, which had left me feeling exhausted and worst of all, feeling hopeless.

I was praying for something, although I had no idea what that something was – I just knew that there was a huge something missing so I turned to prayer. I’ve since learned that our prayers are sometimes answered in the most mysterious ways.

Season 7 of AI was only the second year I ever watched the show – and I have not watched since unless David was on.  I am like many others who never knew what a blog, You Tube, Cellcasts, or Twitter even were. I never was a fangirl of anyone.  Following David and becoming a member of his fan community turned out to be the answer I was praying for.

An answer that incorporated a state clear across the country, two religions of which I knew little to nothing about, and two strangers who helped me find the strength and courage that had been hidden away under fear and hopelessness.  One woman is from Utah, the other lives not far from me.  One is LDS (Mamasaun); the other Jewish (Zoe); I am Catholic. All we had in common two years ago was our love for David Archuleta.

But that was then and this is now

Allentown mosh memories.

My son still can’t believe his mom stood in a mosh pit in Allentown with a woman she met on a blog (Zoe).  Zoe and I immediately felt like we knew one another forever! Since that day we have taken several road trips together and we look forward to many more in the future.  We meet for lunch, we talk on the phone, we email, and we scheme and plan our next David adventure.  I recently received an email from Zoe that touched my heart so deeply – it was her “epiphany” about our friendship.  Yes, Zoe, I agree there are no coincidences.

Mamasaun and I started talking off line through emails, and to say we emailed and talked about everything is an understatement!  I never would have believed such a close friendship could have been formed with someone you have never met face to face – but that is exactly what happened and you would have thought we, too, knew one another forever.

Since one of the topics we had in depth discussions on was our respective religions she asked if I would care to attend a conference talk at the local LDS Church – I had no idea we had a local LDS Church!  For some reason I said yes – there I go again saying yes and then wondering what was I thinkingJ.   Although this is a huge part of my story, I will try to explain as briefly as possible.

I sat in my car outside the LDS Church questioning my decision to agree to attend the talk – after all I attend Mass every Sunday.  What happened is that I learned that no matter the differences in how we worship or if we worship – and this is what I believe David is teaching us – is that LOVE is what is important.  Love for one another – in how we treat one another.  Love is what I got that day – nothing was asked of me and nothing ever has been to this day.

Mamasaun and I also email, talk on the phone, and we scheme and plan how I am going to come to Utah one day soon so we can finally meet face to face.  I received an email from Mamasaun almost simultaneously with the one from Zoe that equally touched my heart about our friendship and what it means to her.  Two incredibly touching emails a few hours apart – there truly are no coincidences.

I send cards to Zoe for the holidays she celebrates and I learn what these days mean to her. We talk about our families, share pictures and I unconditionally love and support each of them as they do me. Mamasaun and I and Zoe and I share what our religious traditions and beliefs mean to each of us and we are learning from one another what it means to lovingly accept the differences.

I wish I could share more of just how kind and supportive Mamasaun and Zoe have been to me and how their friendship, and the loving support group I have with my local LDS friends, has changed my life – suffice it to say that David would be so proud of them – so proud!

David is the core, the heart that binds us together and the fan communities are the homes we come to – home is where the heart is.  For the gift I have been given in belonging to David’s fandom is priceless – the love, the support and the opening of minds and hearts to one another from every walk of life – what a gift David is to us all!

Independence Day

My life today is different because I am different.  Listening to David sing and seeing how he conducts his life, the amazing blessing of my David friendships, the fan communities that I visit every day (okay many times a dayJ), meeting fans at concerts and book signings and putting faces to screen names all have contributed to the positive changes in my life.  I see light at the end of that dark tunnel and I have the strength and confidence to make my life better.

When David sings the National Anthem today, I know the whole world will be watching – for his Voice brings nationalities, generations, cultures … strangers … together – connecting hearts and forging friendships.

Friends do become our chosen family – thank you for giving me the opportunity to share my story with you, my chosen family.

archiesfan4life

This entry was posted in Fan experience. Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to Independence Day

1. Abrra says:

AF4L my dear!
    Please count me as a big fan of yours! This is a great article about love. It was a pleasure to meet you and Zoe in Stroudsburg on such a magical night. We witnessed an angel didn’t we?
    I have to admit I have not kept up the journal you gave me. I have used it for writing down special things I want to look back on. I spend so much time working on David stuff, I hardly think of me or writing anything about me. ODD much, Abrra?

Thank you for this article. I am positive David came into your life to show you that life is worth living on your own terms.

Abrra

2. archiesfan4life says:

Abrra – thank you! I consider you a dear friend too – David has brought so much joy into the lives of so many. Have to run off to church – be back later.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

3. embe says:

Abrra – I posted a comment in the previous thread but it says it’s awaiting moderation. Can you fix it?

4. SandyBeaches says:

AF4L…This is an awesome article and one I will read again. The story you have told us encompasses all that is David to us. He is a master of love and patience and we are learning that although we are slow at times to learn all that he is saying to us. He must think…”There, finally they got what I was trying to say”…

We are fortunate to have David singing to us and fortunate that we have met through him some of the most wonderful people…It is interesting to have people of different religions finally learning about each other.

SB

archiesfan4life – what a beautiful story, your words touched my heart and this: “My chosen family” is very special. To say that David and “my chosen family” has helped me change the way I think about life, try to now act out my life… well, just yes.

Thank you for sharing your story – it affirms the reason I keep on coming back. Love, connection, the tolerance to not only accept others differences, but to learn from them… well you said it, not need for me to repeat.

Happy Independance Day to all

6. Zoe says:

{{{{AF4L}}}} *sniff*

This is a BEEAAUUTIFUL article!! I am so honored and grateful to be your friend, and so proud of you for stepping out of your comfort zone to share your heartfelt story here at Snow Angelz. Inspiration from David, to be sure! 🙂

Love the Connections theme – the ties that bind us to David, to our cyberspace fan families and to each other. I felt that connection as soon as we met for that awesome show in Allentown over two years ago. I felt similar connections when we met TOfan, Refnaf, Abrra, Bebe and many others at subsequent concerts. Instant connections – instant bonds!!

Bountiful blessings, thanks to the gift of this incomparable young man, his music, his heart, his humanity.

I look forward to continuing to share this crazy but oh-so-fulfilling ODD journey with you and the delightful Snow Angelz gang for years to come. Can’t say enough how much I adore this site, the admins and all the lovely warmhearted peeps who post here!

Hey, just had a thought! When David comes back to Canada for a concert, wanna take another ROAD TRIP??? What’s a few more hours on the highways…this time I’ll make sure the GPS is working! Would be a hoot to hang out with the SAz gang on THEIR turf! And maybe Mamasaun could join us there – would love to finally meet her!!

MWAH!!!

7. embe says:

Someone posted this on IDF – what a lovely recap by one of David’s background singers.

thanks, Embe! LOVED reading that! And I don’t see any comments awaiting moderation, but I’ll check again!

Meant to add my favourite part of Vanessa’s blog:

“Old church folk would say that David ‘felt his help coming on’, because he gave a little bit more.”

and this, “He’s not a singer one can easily dismiss because of his age, either. It is so apparent that he loves to sing. That’s different than loving the sound of one’s own voice.

8. archiesfan4life says:

Abrra, SB, awestruck, and my ODD buddy Zoe – thank you for the nice comments – they mean a lot to me.

BTW – Zoe, you know I am ALWAYS ready for another road trip and I think your idea is wonderful!!! And I, too, would love to finally meet Mamasaun in person. How much time do we have for this trip:):):)

• Zoe says:

LOL. I could probably convince hubby to let me loose for about a week. As long as it’s not during the winter. He’s not big on snowstorm rescue missions! 😉

embe – what a wonderful article by Vanessa. I wonder what her thoughts will be when David “feels his help coming on” turns it up another notch tonight? It is so cool to here how David continues to touch one soul at a time, just by being himself. A must read article for everyone…

{{{archiesfan4life}}}
    Happy 4th of July to all my American “cousins”!

After a 9-hour drive home from Vermont (don’t ask!) what a pleasure to read your post af4L, listen to SBM & the SBB and to watch David’s vlog!

I’m all verklempt here listening to him so movingly talk about the troops and the founding fathers, and they’re not even my own … he really is too much for me to handle sometimes. … and that glory note in SBM????? off-the-charts incredible … THAT’s fireworks, baby! 😆

• archiesfan4life says:

TOfan – welcome back from VT! Thank you so much for all your encouragement to share my story and for all your help in making the “connections”. {{{{{Hugs}}}}

Love the last tag on his vlog! LOLOL

Tags: David Archuleta, Washington DC, 4th Fourth of July, Independence Day, book signing,Chords Strength, Something ‘Bout Bout

12. jackryan4DA says:

I made a mistake and posted this in the previous thread so excuse for reposting it here:

Just an update on the CAPITOL FOURTH BLITZKRIEG am making, it is now up to 14 vids, plus 2 more uploading – another lengthy Fox News interview, then SSB & SBM . Am sure cyberspace is awash with the last two already LOL. But its pretty good quality as I have a copy of the whole concert. Now if I could only manage that with David’s solo concert, hmmmp.

In case anyone is interested, here is the playlist:

But at the rate Twitter and the Capitol 4th is being covered, I think David is in for a whole lot of interviews yet!

It is interesting that the excitement generated by SBL comes at this auspicious time of commemorating independence. I suspect, David’s chosen direction based on the “entree” that he has offered for his sophomore pop album is largely due to a freer state of mind and body. He is more confident, less awkward (at times, LOL) but is more definitive & expressive in where he is at and where he wants to be. A little freedom indeed goes a long way.

The beauty of it all, David remains in essence, the David we have fallen in love with 2 years ago.

Exciting times ahead. Happy independence day indeed!

ps: My daughter who never cared for David and who kept on rolling her eyes with just a hint of approaching my favorite subject has some good words to say about SBL. She is a rocker and plays the drum. But since am her mom, she grew up in a rather eclectic musical environ. Yet she never warmed up to David, until SBL. Touch down! 🙂

((((AF4L)))
    Thanks for sharing this, your story♥
    “For the gift I have been given in belonging to David’s fandom is priceless – the love, the support and the opening of minds and hearts to one another from every walk of life – what a gift David is to us all!”
    This is so true for me as well. i have felt a huge cyber hug in the last few weeks and it has helped me tremendously. My one regret on the journey was meeting you in Allentown, but not connectng. we should have been moshing together!!! All’s good cause of our subsequent meetings and there will be more. The experience of meeting David’s fans and feeling the connection has made travelling to see him totally not crazy any more. It is now the new “normal” lol. I find it interesting how David has broadened my world… like you said AF4L, I now have friends from all over, of different religions and my life has been enriched♥
    Zoe, your idea of coming to Canada when David does WFM!!!!!!!!!! That would be a party!!

Now I must catch up on what David has been doing, being away from the computer all weekend is nice, except for missing D:) Me thinks I have alot of lovely stunning vids to watch!!! and a VLOG!!
    BBL

• archiesfan4life says:

{{{{{ref}}}} – I am so glad we got to meet in Stroudsburg – and I must work with Zoe on her idea of a road trip to Canada:).

YES!!!! That road trip must happen! Heard today that the Toronto A.I. Tour show has been cancelled (along with several others) … wouldn’t be surprised if it was their lowest attendance ever.

Thanks to the amazing Muldur, you can download mp3s & mp4s for:

Capitol Fourth Rehearsal songs HERE.

Capitol Fourth Performance mp3s HERE.

& sorry if this is old news (a lot to catch up on, whoah!) but an interview with “D.C. on Heels” … I’ve missed that little “should tumble and fall” motion at 2:07! 😆

Cool video from someone on stage at the rehearsal for SBM (victoryforthepeeps) … check out the teleprompter! 😆

archiefan4life: Just loved your article, such a delight to read. “and this is what I believe David is teaching us – is that LOVE is what is important. Love for one another – in how we treat one another.”
    You are so absolutely right….and David expresses it beautifully in everything he does.

Feel so proud of David and his participation in Capitol 4th, he was simply wonderful. Loved Vanessa’s blog, very heartfelt and says a lot about David and how he leaves such a genuine, warm impression with everyone he meets. There is just no denying that light about him.

The new single has drawn a lot of buzz too and most of it excellent! When you strip that song down it is really a beautiful song. Even with the dance/techno beat it is pretty wonderful. Once again this incredible 19 yr old is inspiring people of all ages and with his new upbeat dance number yet. The sweet lyrics and the unique way David has of conveying so much through his voice hits hard (in a very good way) whatever he is singing.
    Came across this comment on David’s site from an older fan and it just really touched me:

“Okay…I’ve been able to listen to the entire song and have the words all written down. First….I love your vocals on this song David. The lyrics are relevant to many, even me, at age 60 I could still fall in love…and I do remember the excitement you allude to “hang on, hang in, for the ride of your life!” That does sum up the beginning of falling in love and also the middle, and for some the end. But what this song tells me is that love can break your heart but there is something about it that you just want to trust in it again, because it is worth the pain. I keep telling myself after two marriages that I am finished, but I will admit there is something about love that keeps me hoping that someday God will provide for me someone who could love me. There’s just something bout love….Thanks for a really good song…I hope it hits the rest of the world like it did me and will sky rocket to the top of the charts.”

I hope it hits the rest of the world in that way too.

peppertara, doesn’t that woman’s comment fit in with what AF4L said! Beautifully stated by her as well. Thanks for bringing that over.

18. archiesfan4life says:

awestruck – you have no idea how I relate to the comment peppertara posted by that woman.

Those coincidences that aren’t really coincidences just keep on coming:)!

Thanks to all those who commented on my story – I am so touched that you liked it.

• awestruck says:

archiesfan4life – “coincidences that aren’t really coincidences” Some things are just meant to be!

awestruck…yes, I felt the same thing about the comment fitting in wiith AF4L ariticle.
    And AF4L….I can relate very well to the woman’s comment too!

20. Nan says:

I loved this blog. It seems similar stories have been repeated all over the world because of David. I just recently met refnaf and we made an immediate connection. There were three of us named Nancy who felt like we had known each other for a long time. It really is miraculous when you think about it.

peppertara,
    thanks for bringing that comment over. To be honest, I’d been struggling to reconcile some of the lyrics in SBL … “love tears you up” versus “sets you free” etc. … but reading that comment gave me an “aha” moment … it’s all that and a bag of chips.

Sometimes the raw simple truth of what David sings or says is hard for me to grasp right away because I’m so used to having to wade through layers of “code” before getting to the real meaning behind someone’s words. So I confess, I didn’t really get it … “but suddenly now I do-oo-ooo.” 🙂

AF4L – peppertara – TOfan

David has has a real ‘depth’ to him and his lyrics show that. That we can all connect with what he is trying to convey would make him very happy indeed.

Hey anyone… Is David performing or just attending the iPOP Convention in Las Vegas tomorrow?

24. jackryan4DA says:

I suppose most of us are probably moving on to David’s next gig. But may I add my last video to the CAPITOL 4TH EXTRAVAGANZA, lol

18-14 David Archuleta @ Capitol 4th Concert (HD) — INTRO, ANTHEM & STAND BY ME

I edited and switched some footage of the concert to give additional context (e.g. shots of the venue, size of crowd, introduction of performers, etc…), especially for those who were unable to watch the whole event. Enjoy!

This completes my chronicling David’s Happy Fourth 🙂

RE the whole concert — I must say I enjoyed the performances of Darius and Gladys. David could learn a lot from these two. The energy level of their voices carried their songs, even those with more upbeat tempo. And w/o them having to run across the stage. Esp Gladys. Senior citizens FTW!

I hope David gets to work with Gladys someday.

I’m with awestruck, JR, thank you!!!!!

And wouldn’t a duet with Gladys be amazing? Even when David mentioned that in the interview, I got butterflies.

25. jackryan4DA says:

The video is not showing up again. I wonder what am doing wrong, hmmm

Let me try this –

JR – for those of us that rush through David’s life, LOL, I need to tell you how much I truly appreciate what you do in taking the time to chronical David’s journey and providing us with video’s as above. I savour them!

27. archiesfan4life says:

Please let me add my thanks to JR and all who keep us up-to-date with all things David – you are all appreciated very much!

Hey af4L, don’t think you’re on Twitter, so wanted to pass along these tweets to you about your post:

@zerogravity1 Love this blog

@Nellie1983 Wow, so wonderful! I love reading things like this. Our common thread with David gives us acceptance of other people too.

(Kristian) @SuperBuknoy_FOD Of Connection, Acceptance, Bond, Home, Love and More. … GEM!

@rarchiefan … makes me cry and brings joy to my heart. Thanks for the post. 🙂 ♥

• archiesfan4life says:

WOW! Thanks TOfan! Having our personal stories touch others is such a thrill! What a bond we have with each other!

peppertara> thanks for bringing that comment over! Those comments WFM as well . I think the lyrics of SBL can fit so many situations, pretty unique for a pop song IMO.

TOfan> “I confess, I didn’t really get it … “but suddenly now I do-oo-ooo.”’ Yayyyyy!,lol

Awestruck> I have not heard that David will perform, but hoping.

LOve your vid links JR!!

(((((nan)))))It is a MIRACLE. They do happen. How can we come from all over and different paths, and make real connectios??? The miracle of David, just as AF4L’s said in her post “for his Voice brings nationalities, generations, cultures … strangers … together – connecting hearts and forging friendships” I can not wait to go to Utah again…. and next time I am bringing some more snowangelz with me!!!♥

Hi AF4L ((((hugs))))

BTW, if you can see my new avi> I am Dutch and hitting the pub with friends this afternoon to watch Holland beat Uruguay!

Hup Holland Hup!!

31. pastel says:

Amazing story that has been replicated dozens and dozens of times over with Archie fans. We are all connected in something that transcends our nationality or religion, or age! Thanks for sharing AF4L!

BTW..I’m having lunch today with fans that are now my friends. It’s just too amazing for words.

• awestruck says:

pastel – you refnaf, TOfan… make want to move to Toronto area and here I am a born and breed western gal! Have fun at lunch.

archiesfan4life – just really looked at the pic at the beginning of your article. Do you remember that archugaze David directed your way?

• archiesfan4life says:

Awestruck – I am so glad Zoe got this picture b/c I don’t remember much about those precious few moments. I do remember some of what he said to me – “awww, that is so nice they are your friends; awwww that is so nice.” – said with such sincerity!

It was a moment I will always treasure and never forget!

33. Angelica says:

Archiesfan4life,

“Season 7 of AI was only the second year I ever watched the show – and I have not watched since unless David was on. I am like many others who never knew what a blog, You Tube, Cellcasts, or Twitter even were. I never was a fangirl of anyone. Following David and becoming a member of his fan community turned out to be the answer I was praying for.”

I could have written every word of that paragraph. It is all so strange and I think, as you say, “there are no coincidences.” I have met so many wonderful cyber friends who are just as nice in person as they are online. There are so many things I do now that I didn’t do then, BD (before David). He gave me back my joy. That’s all David Archuleta ever did for me. How do you repay someone for doing that?

Angelica> If we had a a poll, I wonder how many would say they have experienced much of what AF4L has shared. I have met sooo many who could have written this:

David the joy giver!! Among his many other talents!!

Hup Holland Hup! (sorry, just had to)

35. mamasaun says:

I must say, I haven’t commented on a blog for a very long time, but I want to comment on AF4L’s story. It has truly touched my heart – SHE has truly touched my heart and we will be friends forever. Thank you for writing this and thanks ever so much to our Dear David for bringing so many wonderful people together – a beautiful thread of love woven right through all of our hearts. I truly believe that LOVE can conquer anything. That is what David is teaching us. Thanks again and God Bless America!!

af4l – wonderful post!

Heartwarming, inspiring and yet compelling. All of this is one of my life’s sweetest mysteries and yet, may be not so mysterious after all. There is purpose here.

Some version of your story can essentially be retold by, I would imagine, thousands, be it with personal variables, but there is one common denominator…one very significant common denominator.