Book tour survival guide

Brace yourselves, people. The Chords of Strength book tour is a mere 12 days away, and I know many of you will be experiencing your first close encounter with Mr. David Archuleta when you hand him your cherished copy of his book to sign.

If you’re wise, you’ll bring a friend, relative or pay a stranger to go with you because you likely won’t remember anything past, “Hey!”

I do remember vividly the first time I met David … most of it, anyway. What I do recall is how compelled I felt to do so. Partly because I had this overwhelming need to say a simple thank you in person, but mostly because … to be honest, I still haven’t answered that question.

And when did the moment finally arrive? Far away from home in the pre-show wait-by-the-buses line in Manchester, N.H. I’ll never forget it. Hearing that now familiar explosion of screams, I looked to my left, and there he was. Taller than I expected, younger than I expected, solid as a tree trunk. Head down as he furiously autographed pictures, T-shirts, iPods, all the while looping gift bags on his wrist and responding to fans with a nod, an “aw, thanks,” a “heheh” … and that smile.

But what’s seared on my brain isn’t his glow or what he was wearing or saying but what I felt — relief.

As soon as I saw him standing there — in the flesh, in the sun … breathing in, breathing out — a weight lifted off my shoulders. I know this sounds odd, even to me. Why relief of all things?

I’m not sure, but after going over and over that moment, I know that’s the right word. Relief.

I had been nervous about meeting him, but as he drew closer I felt calm wash over me. I’ve felt that each time I’ve met him. I’m nervous beforehand but when I actually meet him I feel completely relaxed, he disarms me and puts me at ease. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still an out-of-body experience and afterward I feel like I’m about to pass out, but calmly, in slow motion.

It’s a different experience for everyone, of course. But with the book tour approaching, I thought this might be a good time to offer some tips for first-timers:

1. Practice what you plan to say beforehand. Out loud. (Not advisable at the supermarket … or the office, however.)

2. Keep it short. They run those autograph lines like a Marine Corps drill. In fact, I think they use actual Marines.

3. Play by the rules. This is not the time to sneak in your 10 copies of CFTH for signing … or your “Please Tour Canada” petition (of course, that second one’s entirely up to you 🙂 )

4. Hold back your tears. Unless you want to relive your Book Signing Meltdown for the rest of your days, get a grip! If you feel you’re about to lose it, dig your nails in your palm. (I only know this from others, of course.)

5. And THE most important tip of all: Snag one of those Super-Sonic K-Tel Time Machines on e-Bay and m.a.k.e…e.v.e.r.y…m.o.m.e.n.t…l.a.a.a.a.a.s.t.

Does anyone else have any advice for the first-timers out there?

P.S. The lovely and amazing Abrra created this beautiful video tribute to David and his fans … and she was sweet enough to include SnowAngelz! (we turn up about 3:56, you’ll see David chuckle because djxox and River started to sing O Canada to us and then DAVID started to sing it! Good times.)

This entry was posted in Special event and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

64 Responses to Book tour survival guide

1. bluebar says:

The anticipation is crazy.
    My first advice is to have a good grip on your book as your hands will be shaking. Be prepared for the butterflies in your stomach, too. Talking to others standing in line with you is helpful. (We all have a common Archu-bond, and there is no end to what we can share).

But, as you get closer to David, you try to compose yourself and become very quiet realizing “the moment” is within a couple steps. On the first meeting, however, I think it is nearly impossible think straight. How many of us have made fools of ourselves in front of him? – either by not being able to speak, even looking away or babbling incoherently. (Don’t feel too bad, David has had encounters like this many times over). And, overall, for you, it will be shock and disbelief… in a good way!

Most importantly to remember, when you stand there in front of him, DAVID WILL GIVE YOU HIS TOTAL ATTENTION. It takes about 5 seconds to write a signature, and I’m sure David has perfected this to half that time. Even if he has his head down… he WILL BE LISTENING to you, so you have a few precious seconds to say what’s on your mind. He will take it in… surely smile, reply… and YOU WILL FEEL THE LOVE! Guaranteed to be another “what-just-happened” moment! And we do love those!!!
    So, happy book-signing to everyone attending!

NEWSFLASH,
    I’ll be back later to comment on your article TOfan, but I have to tell that COS is available for fast delivery here in Canada as well. I just ordered and got the shipping email that I will get it in 1-3 DAYS! WOOT!

There is a coupon code for a small discount as well Y8H7P3C

I am a little too not patient

4. gladys says:

I guess being in front of david and not articulate any word, sometimes only see on youtube or on different pages, I get excited like I was there. Just ask those who can attend the book signing to tell us (if they can or remember the event) everything that happened.
    The anecdotes, meetings, photos, everything is a gem for us who live far from david, for example, Argentina.
    So I’m always grateful and read with a smile everything about david.

5. Rox says:

Good stuff! Maybe maintain eye contact (or maintain staring at top of black head-of-hair so you don’t miss the eye contact:) and say your name.. most likely he repeats it and might even sing it 😉 Course it helps if there is a song titled with your name..lol

This> “Taller than I expected, younger than I expected, solid as a tree trunk.” Tofan this is what I experienced as well. From watching him on idol he seemed so slight, tiny even, but in real life he is solid in every way. Even when he seems awkward or goofy there is this strength about him. He does look so young!! There is a juxtaposition between his calm strength and his youthfulness. David the enigma is what keeps us wanting one more song, one more moment with him.
    I wish I could actually have clear memories of the VIP’s where I met him… I am so glad to have the pics that prove to myself that I did!
    As for advice…
    Be prepared to be CLUELESS! Knowing that you will be gobsmacked and that you are not the first and only one makes it easier!!!!

Hey blue!! “Most importantly to remember, when you stand there in front of him, DAVID WILL GIVE YOU HIS TOTAL ATTENTION.” So true which leads to the gobsmacking!

**waves** to gladys in Argentina!

This post snapped me back into reality. I had almost forgotten the book tour starts in 12 days! CRAZY!
    TOfan, I LOOOOVE your story about meeting him for the first time!That sounds AMAZING. I am for sure meeting him on the next tour. It is decided.

Have fun to anyone going to the book tour!! <333

It IS decided, abanana, you WILL meet him! *wags finger*

Okay, I found this interesting. Thanks to Refnaf’s hot Barnes & Noble tip, I placed my order then noticed the following list,
    “Customers who bought this also bought”:

1) Julia Child’s “My Life in France”
    2) Michael J. Fox’s autobiography (yay!)
    3) The People Mag tribute to Michael Jackson
    4) Elie Wiesel’s autobiography and …
    5) Chelsea Handler’s autobiography called: “My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands”

😆

9. embe says:

“I looked to my left, and there he was. Taller than I expected, younger than I expected, solid as a tree trunk. Head down as he furiously autographed pictures, T-shirts, iPods, all the while looping gift bags on his wrist and responding to fans with a nod, an “aw, thanks,” a “heheh” … and that smile.—

As soon as I saw him standing there — in the flesh, in the sun … breathing in, breathing out—-”

I literally gasped when I read this. I can totally imagine what you saw – you describe it so well.

I’m planning on going to see David on his next tour and I’m scared to death of a) traveling all alone to the US – I’m from Finland, see. A huge difference in both culture and size 😀 and b) seeing him live and possibly meeting him.

By the way, I called Bookends to order a signed copy of COS. When I said I was calling from Finland, the lady on the other end seemed to think I said “Venus” or something.

Don’t actually think that you will be able to speak coherently when you meet David – just write down what you want to say on an index card, hand it to him and gesture that you would like him to read it…

I know what you mean by relief TOfan, I felt the same. I said – in one sentence to keep it short (this also eliminated the tendancy to babble when I feel nervous lol)- what I felt compelled I had to say in a very intense voice, and THEN I was able to smile and chit chat; sort of.

11. Joner says:

I’ve met David four times. It’s not that I have ANY recollection of those encounters (SPAZZ!) it’s just the only explanation I have for the pictures I possess of me standing next to him wearing four different outfits. 😆

For me, seeing him in person was like an out-of-body experience. It felt surreal, like I dreamed it or something.

The most memorable encounter I had with him was at a VIP in Milwaukee when he had completely lost his voice. Any nervousness I had about meeting him vanished and was replaced with concern for him and HIS potential nervousness about performing that evening. It’s kind of funny how that works! Sadly we couldn’t converse but he went on to have a flawless performance that evening. It was astonishing to say the least. I’ll never forget that day!

embe – you said “I guess I’m afraid of crashing down from the high that encountering him is bound to cause. Like I see him, and then it’s over and I just want it to go on and on.”

For me there was NO crashing down from the high… it was just a beautiful feeling of calm and contentment. TOfan described it perfectly. So don’t worry about that part! You will not be alone when you come to hear him in concert, there will be MANY who will help you out. That is one of the bestest things about being an ODD David fan.

Joner – it was similar when I saw David in San Fran – he looked exhausted at the M&G, yet sang beautifully that night in spite of it (the 4th concert in 4 nights – I don’t know how he did it)

New bubble tweet clip from Eman…
    David…. “Yeeeaaah”
    Me…”eeeeeeeee”

15. munkmusic says:

I think these guys are just so excited they can hardly stand it! kinda like us….and they are like little kids in a candy store. I just have to laugh!

Been a great day for the sale of COS! Great times!

The bubbletweets are a tease. Can we have real music please? *waits “patiently”*

Sidenote: I leave tomorrow for New Brunswick for the summer so I probably won’t be on the internet as much (especially for the first week). I think I’ll have to deal with dial-up… o_o Haha but, yeah, I have not become an unfan or anything crazy like that. Just internetless. Hopefully I will find some fast internet somewhere because I NEED to get online for book tour stuff! haha.

munkmusic, you’re right, they do seem like kids in a candy store … they have ADD and we have ODD! 😆

abanana77, have a wonderful summer in N.B., it’s so beautiful there … fingers crossed for high speed!!!

Update!
    Please check out Abrra’s beautiful video above (added it to the end of the post) … me, conditioner and the side of Refnaf’s head make a brief appearance! 🙂

kay awestruck, I have no idea what ADD is either… TOfan?????

Abanana> safe travels, hope you can still get your David fix all summer long!

Love abrra’s vid… happy memories♥

19. Abrra says:

TOfan
    Next thing we know you will be in Hollywood! You are a STAR! 🙂

I waved my wand tonight and made a quick MGR of David singing “YEAH” on Eman’s bubble tweet.

Abrra ( who isn’t going to a book signing unless he comes to Boston)

• awestruck says:

OK, so Abrra I havn’t listened to any of the tweets, but couldn’t resist you MGR. YEAH… is now stuck in my brain.

TOfan, just noticed this in your above list from B&N – “Customers who bought this also bought”

Say what? Really? They also bought this??? LOL

21. Zoe says:

Thanks tons for your timely advice, TOfan! Also to Bluebar, Joner, Refnaf, Rox and Awestruck. Although I’ve been to lots of concerts, this will be my first upcloseandpersonal encounter with David, and I can hardly stand the anticipation.

I will heed all your directives on how to plan and execute THE MISSION 🙂

Got the buddy (thanks Archiesfan4life!), will keep it short and play by the rules (dangit…was seriously thinking about buying those 10 extra books for him to sign, just to spend a few extra precious moments within inches of him) and will keep the tears in check (THAT mortified I will not be!!)

I’ve been practicing what to say now for days… must have over a dozen crumpled stickies in my wallet where I’ve jotted down different greetings. I would love to come up with something original and maybe get him to look up for a moment and hit me with that Archugaze and smile! 🙂

Most likely I’ll just mumble something he’s heard hundreds of times before. But that’s okay, because we all know that David truly appreciates the love and support of his fans, whoever they may be, whatever they may express to him.

And because what I really want to feel afterwards is that relief you described, TOfan… “I remember thinking: He is real. He does exist. I didn’t dream him … He is real and he’s standing right there busy at his job. Not larger than life but beautifully ordinary. Just like me. Just like us. With a job to do. A path to follow.”

And that feeling of “calm and contentment” that Awestruck experienced after her encounter.

That’s what will hopefully last long after the memory of the moment fades for me.

And by the way, having watched that lovely Friends of Mine video of Abrra’s…your “moment” by David’s side seemed like an ETERNITY to me!! What a beeeaauuutiful encounter that must have been for you and your SA sisters, Conditioner and Refnaf! You were positively glowing, and how cool to have this video as a permanent record of your magical moment with David James!

TOfan, love your description of meeting David, just perfect. Wish I could have remained as calm, ha. Also love Abrra’s beautiful video, Friends of Mine. How lovely and how very lovely with a few SA in the video! What a wonderful group you all are and what special moments you had.
    I’m afraid I would not be a good person to give advice on meeting David, other than just enjoy every precious moment you have with him, you won’t ever forget it, you will treasure it.
    My one and only experience meeting David was at a VIP last year and everything I had planned to say to him went out the window. I was quite calm and peaceful until I walked over to meet David. Yet it was still one of the most joyous experiences I have ever had. My first time hearing David sing live and up close and personal was a true piece of heaven that has always stayed with me. Awe inspiring and transforming to say the least. When I walked up to David the joy seemed to overflow and I acted like a bit of an idiot, lol. I walked up to him with a big “Hiiiiiii…..David! with my hand outstretched and he resounded back with a big “Hiiiiii!” lol and kindly shook my hand. I think I mumbled a few words (can’t remember what they were) but didn’t manage to say anything I had planned to say. In addition to that I (unconsciously) moved in and put my arm around his shoulder for the picture. I loved it all and David was very sweet but afterwards I could only think to myself, who is this person, was that me? Did I really do that, this grown middle aged woman acting like a young fan girl, don’t know what David must have thought but thank goodness he meets so many people that I’m sure he forgets these things (I hope).
    My first experience included meeting him for the first time, hearing him sing live for the first time (at the VIP) and later in concert, all in the space of a couple of hours, a lot of joy to take in for me I think. I will always treasure it though, that first live song at the VIP was like nothing I have ever experienced, completely unearthly, jaw dropping and tear jerking! Meeting David was on my wish list and I was just thrilled to have the opportunity. If I ever have the opportunity again I will take a solemn vow to present myself to David as a mature, composed, coherent adult, lol.
    I think a book signing might be a little different however. Still incredibly wonderful and a very special event but maybe not as much time to become overwhelmed, possibly. To those of you who are going, enjoy every moment you have!

That was a long post, sorry about that, didn’t intend it to be. Guess when you start reminiscing about your David experiences there is always a lot to say!

24. bebereader says:

TOfan: I loved this article and I appreciate the advice. Unfortunately I can’t offer any survival tips of my own as I’m badly in need of some myself!

The first time I met David was in Atlantic City back in November. When I was waiting in line, he looked to see who was next and flashed me that million dollar smile (you know the one). I was toast before I even started! Everything I thought I would say got jumbled up.

This time I will not get weirded out. I’m practicing composure and will hope for the best.

embe We had a similar phone experience. When I called Barnes & Nobles today to order Chords of Strength, the lady thought I said “Cords of Shrimp”. LOL

Gotta laugh…maybe that’s the secret…get the endorphins out before meeting David, then you can’t go wrong.

Love this site and all of you Snowangelz!

25. SandyBeaches says:

YOfan…David sang a few notes of “Oh Canada”? Now that I would love to hear. He once sang the words “Ave Maria” for me…few but precious.

Any Canucks going to a book signing?

SB

{{{Bebe}}} Cords of Shrimp, bahahahahahaha

Zoe, I am so excited for you and archiesfan4life and I have no doubt you’ll both charm an Archugaze and a big smile out of him! 😆

Peppertara, no apologies nec., loved hearing every word!!! Which concert did you go to?

And it is a special gift to have Abrra’s video ‘cuz it was all a blur (I only wish you could see the rest of Refnaf and fellow Canuck Sunshine, who was up there too!).

Happy Victoria Day long weekend, btw! I’ll be in Vermont with spotty Internet access … so if there’s any big single news, send up some peace sign smoke signals! 😆 Acc. to David’s last tweet, he’s trying to upload a blog or vlog … news, perhaps???

27. SandyBeaches says:

‘Happy Victoria Day’ weekend everyone and TOfan enjoy your spotty internet access because it sounds like your are going somewhere natural and peaceful…

SB

peppertara – I enjoy reading everyone’s David moments and they can never be too long.

thanks to you and bebe for sharing!

29. embe says:

“We had a similar phone experience. When I called Barnes & Nobles today to order Chords of Strength, the lady thought I said “Cords of Shrimp”. LOL

Love this site and all of you Snowangelz!”

Yeah, it was kinda similar 🙂 Wonder what a book called “Cords of Shrimp” would actually contain. And why David Archuleta would write a book about that subject 😀

For me, though, it wasn’t that she heard me wrong – it was as if she couldn’t believe I was actually calling from Finland to order David’s book. Like it was a miracle I knew about David and that I could speak English AND that we actually have phonelines here in the country of ice and snow 😀 It’s been H-O-T in here for the past 2 weeks though – summer has arrived.

Even though I’m not Canadian, I’m kind of like a snowangel too, since Finland and Canada are often said to be similar, not just because of the climate but because the people are apparently alike 😛

Anyway, I was PROUD to announce my home country to the lady and if I someday get to meet David, I’ll be proud to tell him how far his inspiration actually reaches 🙂

Embe, I’ve heard that too, that Canada and Finland share a lot of similarities!

Newsflash! David’s new blog here:

And his song of the day (hey, my Mother’s Day disco tribute wasn’t too far off! :lol:):

31. KT says:

Reading COS as Mr. Mailman made a delivery today. You will enjoy it!

TOfan, that blog is love ❤

I LOOOOOOVE "But I can't wait until you guys get to hear the WHOLE songs! I've really appreciated how you guys have been supportive even during the quiet times, it really makes me feel better :)."

<3333333333

And the part about his sister obsessing with one of the contestants. Hahahaha.

Great advice TOfan.

My survival kit is all of you. Can’t go wrong with that, eh?

Hugs and Love to all SAz’s. 😀

KT – did you get an e-mail saying your book had shipped?

abanana – maybe David will sort of understand now his fans reactions to him because of his sister?!?

Kizzi – “My survival kit is all of you” back attcha!

embe> “Even though I’m not Canadian, I’m kind of like a snowangel too, since Finland and Canada are often said to be similar, not just because of the climate but because the people are apparently alike” How do you feel about HOCKEY!!!!! lol, that is the deciding factor hahha!

I simply love the meeting David stories, keep ’em coming! ((((bebebe, peppertarra, joner, awestruck, blue)))

Zoe and AF4L… you will be fine… you have each other, that’s what gets us through!! Like Kizzi says “My survival kit is all of you”

His new blog is good, would have loved the vlog, but it WFM

Happy Victoria Day peeps… I will be out a lot this weekend as well! Have a good one everyone!

• embe says:

Hockey 😀 Funny you should mention that, since Finland just got eliminated from the World Championship games in Germany. But we did beat Canada this time – emphasis on THIS TIME 😀

Don’t really pay attention to hockey, except when my fiance or my dad watch it at home and yell at the tv. That’s usually my “David-time” 😉

36. SandyBeaches says:

“GO Habs!!”…

Have a happy and well spent weekend everywhere and a special thank you to the queen for her special weekend.

Hockey people, I am still basking in the glow of the olympics, while I watch the Habs…

Hurry up UPS guy with my parcel!

SB

37. KT says:

Awestruck, yes I got an email saying the book had shipped. I ordered it on Wednesday night from B&N and they said it would ship the next day and it did. It arrived Friday in my mail box.

TOfan, Awestruck…thank you for enduring my long post yesterday. I actually saw David in Seattle last summer, he finally came close enough for me to hop across the border. Didn’t see him there on the A.I. tour though..had a friend who was very ill at the time so had to catch him last summer, so glad I did.
    Have a lovely weekend everyone and it sounds like a few have already got “Chords Of Shrimp” in their hands, haha.
    Happy reading!

I’m on the road, so just a quick fly by to post this Apple vid (can’t actually watch till I get home tho’ 😦 ):

Download mp3 HERE (thanks Sarah via Snarkies!).

Happy Victoria Day weekend all!

OK, cause TOfan is away and I am technically challenged – I will post this in the comments section:

Apple of our I

Apparently Apple hosts a Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) which includes a bus trip from San Francisco (where the conference is held) to Cupertino, California to allow the WWDC attendees a chance to visit the Apple Campus/Headquarters, including the Company Store and listen to some live entertainment.

David performed at this year’s Apple Idol Beer Bash on Friday May 21, 2010. (They actually have a singing contest! – check out the 2008 winner)

He sang Crush and Imagine.

See the video posted by TOfan above.

Jaywashradio is backstage (according to a google search he is Justin Washington who is a “Love Enthusiast. Art Enthusiast. Music Enthusiast. People Enthusiast. Geek Enthusiast. Enthusiast Enthusiast”.

He is on twitter and happened to be at the beer bash and provided us with some great twitpics and tweets.

Jay: Yo, @DavidArchie is up now, killin’….”Crush”…..

Jay: The vibe was nice, half of the ppl didn’t know him and half did but they all loved it!

Randy: The otherwise intellegent ladies of Apple are going nuts for David Archuletta. Craziness.

Jay: Oh yeah, Dave Archuleta @DavidArchie KILLED “Imagine”..! Just rapped with him again…MAD kewl..! Got to him b4 it got crazy lol

41. miasmom2 says:

I have never posted here before but watching abrra’s video and reading everyone’s posts made my heart ache and inspired me to write. I say made my heart ache because sometimes I get wrapped up in my “real” life and forget how much I miss David. The video and stories reminded me how glorious it is just to be in his presence. I have met him many times and I still seem to be incoherent and cannot articulate anything halfway intelligent when it’s my turn. 😦 When I really blew it though was in Del Mar. I actually ran into him in my hotel. I suddenly felt compelled to go find some hairspray (why, I don’t know, because I never even use hairspray), and off I went to the lobby. I round a corner and there he was!!! EEK!! He was standing with Kendra off to the side. He said, “Hey!! How are you?!!” in this excited way which made me realize he actually recognized me (as one of his crazy middle-aged women fans I’m sure, haha)!! Well, here was my big chance to have a teeny conversation with him and what did I do? I replied, “I’m well, how are you?”, and then I continued on my merry way. WHAT?? I kicked myself later. What was I thinking?? I could have at least said I was excited to see the show later or wish him luck….anything…but no…my mind completely froze, just like it always does. Anyway, my advice is to write him a short note on a card. Hopefully he’ll be able to accept small gifts and cards. That is the ONLY way I’ve been able to communicate with him, and he does remember who you are and what you wrote. The best I’ve ever done in person was at the Seattle VIP, my husband was with me and managed to speak for me and really got him laughing, etc. But I guess I can’t take credit for that.

42. SandyBeaches says:

KT…Are you having a nice read from a certain book this holiday weekend?

After David’s next album is released along with his book, you won’t see David for the trees…taken from “You can’t see the forest for the trees” with a different twist….The WWDC were fortunate to have David sing now beause the days and months ahead are going to be filled with interviews, book reviews and then he will be singing once again…

SB

(((miasmom2))) – cool that David recongized you! Don’t beat yourself up, join the group that gets tongue tied when in his presence.

miasmom2, I loved hearing your story maybe because that’s exactly how I would have reacted! lol Awestruck is right, you’re part of a pretty big club! What I think is pretty cool is that he remembered you & gave you such a warm greeting. Nice!!!

45. miasmom2 says:

Thanks for enjoying my story, I feel better knowing I’m not alone in the tongue-tied club!! I could probably write an embarrassing little tale about each of my encounters with him and what I said or did (or didn’t say or do as the case may be). It’s okay though, I’ve accepted the fact that I am reduced to a stammering fangirl in his presence. 🙂 By the way, I hope it’s okay to post here even though I’m not Canadian. I do visit Vancouver quite frequently and love my Canadian neighbors, so hopefully that counts for something?

miasmon2, I loved reading your story too. So nice that ran into David in the hotel lobby and received that greeting from him, how sweet!
    Tongue tied…..join the club! Apparently quite normal!

Newsflash: (Well, maybe). There is word and rumors flying around that David will be performing with a group of Idols on the A.I. Finale this week as a tribute sendoff to Simon. Have no idea if this is true or not but worthwhile to catch the show just in case. I would imagine that they would do something for Simon as this is his last week. Would love to see David on my TV screen again, hopefully he may be. At the very least he will be on the red carpet. Yep, busy week for David.

miasmom – ALL are welcome at Snow Angelz! I love it when others share their David stories.

miasmom2….Just saw your second post. I don’t post here as regularly as some do but I know you are absolutely welcome here! Nice that you take trips to Vancouver, my home territory. David’s fans are like one big family, no matter where you live!