O Ven, O Ven Emanuel appreciation post from the lovely and amazing Janey

Random notes and a whole lotta perfects

Perfection #1: First of all, David’s Spanish is perfectly suited for O Ven, O Ven Emanuel. The softness of this romantic language allows him even more vocal versatility. When listening to both the English and Spanish versions, I find David singing in a lower tone than the English one, there’s a depth and richness that I’ve never heard anywhere else.

Perfection #2: His pitch is perfect on every note and the key he chooses to sing this in is David at his finest, there is no straining whatsoever and he sounds relaxed and powerful and controlled all at the same time.

Perfection #3: His tone is sublime. Even on the higher notes, he glides effortlessly in and out of them.

Perfection #4: To me, this is his most perfect recording where the production never overshadows the lyrics but helps set the otherworldly mood. And when David sings the lower notes, it is pure heaven. He glides up and down the scale with such ease. Even his rolled r’s show no hesitation, they are smooth as perfect silk.

Perfection #5: I love how the production and the foreign language transcend me to a different time and place. It’s haunting and reassuring at the same time. I have never felt David’s vocals so perfectly matched with an accompaniment as on this song.

Perfection #6: There’s an all over quality in his voice which is, you guessed it, … perfect. Maybe it’s because he’s holding back a little, concentrating on the pronunciation of each word, I honestly don’t know, but imho, when you compare his English version to this Spanish one, you can hear a difference.

I hope he chooses to do this in concert, perhaps singing part in English and part in Spanish.

So librarians, editors, and y’all with big word vocabularies (the rest of you can dust off your thesauruses) find this ol’ gal a word that describes this song, other than perfect, perfectly.

~ Janey

*******

p.s.

Must-see interview!

p.p.s
Need tickets to the Athens, GA, concert?

Contact @karenkid:

“Hello all! It’s developed that I won’t be able to attend David’s concert in Georgia on December 15. 😥 I’m looking to give away the tickets. They’re Center Orchestra, Row G, Seats 111 and 112. You can contact me at knbschneider@gmail.com. Thanks!! ~ karenkid”

[So sorry you can’t make it, Karen!]

p.p.s.s.

See the two dancers from the Winter in the Air vid with the rest of their team on World of Dance. Wow!

p.p.s.s.s.
Great to see all the My Hands love in the comments! 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

*runs out of p’s and s’s*

#trufax

This entry was posted in Music review and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to O Ven, O Ven Emanuel appreciation post from the lovely and amazing Janey

Thanks for this “perfect” post, Janey! 🙂 I’m loving all of Navidad, and I like your idea of him doing O Ven in both English & Spanish at his shows!

I made a playlist for myself where I added the Spanish version of Glorious (studio version) to the other Navidad songs… it fits perfectly! 🙂 If anyone else wants to do that, you can download the mp3 here.

2. TaterZen says:

Janey, thank you for your appreciation post. Had to go back an listen with your observations in mind. I agree that it is nigh on impossible to describe exactly how David does what he does with this song, but your descriptions are… well, perfect.

Count on my vote for a concert rendition that takes advantage of both languages.
    Multi-lingual swooning.

3. tawna21 says:

I’m going to have to listen to O Ven with a different ear. What you’ve posted, Janey is a challenge that I will take on. Listen and hear. Don’t get me wrong, I really do like the song tons, but I just haven’t paid attention to it as you have. Now I will. 🙂 Thank you.

That interview!!! Could it be any more awesome (that is another descriptive word that needs another word)!?! I had a grin on my face through the whole thing. 🙂 I cracked up when Bob Evans started talking about the girls and their proposals to David and David’s hiding his face in his hands moment. David is ‘just David’ in this interview … I love it!!

4. Pepper says:

Thanks so much Janey for your wonderful feedback of this lovely song on David’s album. I love listening to this, both in English and Spanish. There does seem to be a difference in the Spanish version, not necessarily better but yes, I think a difference in tone and and with David’s lovely musical expression in Spanish,it just lifts me to another place, so very beautiful. I think your perfection notes are so well observed and so nicely stated. Would be amazing in concert.

Love David’s interview with Bob Evans. Perfectly natural David, honest and sincere. What a lovely interview!

Janey!!! Your perfect points are 👌💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯
    I appreciate your ability to describe his perfect vocals in words!!
    Thanks so much❤️

David is so busy and happy and I’m loving it!!

6. janetpacker says:

I don’t know how I missed this earlier, but loved reading your “perfect” description of this song! Thank you! I, too, hope he sings in both languages in concert! I will to listen again with all your observations in the back of my mind. Thanks again, Janey!

7. Jani says:

hmm, supposed to be Jani. 😉 Anyway….I enjoyed every word!

8. janey79 says:

thx y’all for the lovely comments ❤