12 steps toward the other side of down

Am I blue? (@niceprtty photo)

Yup. If there was ever any doubt about whether I have ODD (which there wasn’t, really), now I am (and my family is) very certain that I indeed suffer from it. Except that I don’t suffer – I enjoy every minute of it. I’ve been listening to The Other Side Of Down non-stop in my car and at work, and I’ve found an interesting hidden meaning on the album. David actually guides the listener through a 12-step-program on how to be cured from the Archu-diction.

Step 1. Put one foot front of the other. (Okay, easy enough.)
Step 2. Keep climbing. (This one takes a bit of stamina.)
Step 3. Stomp the roses. (Preferably ones that your significant other didn’t buy, since they might never bring you flowers again if you stomp them to the ground.)
Step 4. Let the stars in your eyes shine.
Step 5. Hang on and hold on tight.
Step 6. Take a step back from your new ringtone. (But what if it’s a David song?)
Step 7. Walk in your own two shoes (And really, you shouldn’t walk in anyone else’s — the doctors say that’s bad for your feet.)
Step 8. Walk on a trampoline. (Yeah, I don’t know how this would work in practice. But trust The Archulator.)
Step 9. Keep on running. (After all that stomping and climbing? Not everyone is as fit as you, David.)
Step 10. Stop and just look around. (Phew. A well-needed break.)
Step 11. Don’t look in the mirror. (It’s probably one that adds 10 pounds anyway.)
Step 12. Walk on, live on and be strong. (Together, Archies. Together.)

Wow. That Archie sure loves his exercise, huh? Unfortunately his efforts of curing people from ODD are all in vain, because most of us are in this elevator for life. And ODD tends to be contagious….

As I’ve told you earlier, I’m a gym instructor for seniors, meaning people who are retired. I make all the warm-up and stretching routines myself, to David’s songs of course.

A day in the life photo: aol.com.

Now, one would think I’m a kind-hearted gal, who just wants her class to completely empty their minds of all stress and trouble. But no. I’ve found the relaxation-sequence is the perfect time to brainwash people. They are drifting towards sleep, letting the music fill their senses, kinda like those tapes that you listen to while sleeping, that repeat mantras like “you don’t need to smoke to be happy” or “you are a worthy, important person,” or the one I have that says “krhrhhrhrhh” (that’s not actually a tape – it’s my fiancé snoring.).

All they can hear is the soothing voice of a young man, singing straight from his soul. By the time the song ends, people realize they need to wake up, but all they want to do is go back to that magical voice. Which is where I step in. About 90% of the people in my classes have asked me who the singer is and commented on how beautiful his voice sounds. Of course I try my best to act casual when proudly telling them the singer is half-Honduran, half-American, only 19 years of age and very humble. Then I show them a picture of him, and the reaction is always the same. “What a beautiful looking boy.”

Beautiful indeed. So beautiful, that to me “My Kind Of Perfect” might as well have been named “David.”

embe

P.S. In case anyone missed it, here’s the Cambio chat from last night.

Vodpod videos no longer available.

This entry was posted in Fan experience and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

73 Responses to 12 steps toward the other side of down

1. Bluebird19 says:

embe — Great line –> “Don’t look in the mirror. (It’s probably one that adds 10 pounds anyway.)”

“No more wasting my time looking in the mirror
    Wishing my body was a little bit thinner…”

Guess I better start using your exercise regimen!

That’s my new philosophy!

Oh My Heck embe you make me LAUGH

– yeah Bluebird I love that one too – the mirror adding 10 pounds

and this one “Walk in your own two shoes (And really, you shouldn’t walk in anyone else’s — the doctors say that’s bad for your feet.)” LOLOLOL

I must admit I have a similar “tape” of my hubby snoring, though it tends to keep me awake. Too many discordant notes (by definition – ”
    dis·cor·dant [ diss káwrd’nt ], adjective – sounding unpleasant: consisting of sounds, usually musical notes, that are harsh, unpleasant, or clashing”

all I can say is You lucky seniors!

3. Angelica says:

Embe,

Love this! But you are right, there is no cure. Those 12 steps lead you right back to where you were. And it’s a good place!

I’m loving the sound of your exercise class! Can I join? 😆

That black and white picture of David looking like a conductor, makes me think of how skilled he’s getting at controlling an audience lately. He had that Fresno crowd in the palm of his hand.

I like this part of your story of your indoctrination, uh…exercise class a lot.

“All they can hear is the soothing voice of a young man, singing straight from his soul. By the time the song ends, people realize they need to wake up, but all they want to do is go back to that magical voice….Then I show them a picture of him, and the reaction is always the same. “What a beautiful looking boy.”

I tried to imagine what it would be like to hear that voice first and then be shown that face. 😯

2 step program to addiction that no 12 step program will ever cure. You are good!

Thanks for a fun read!

Embe, you srsly crack me up! Love this post & the image of you sneaking in David music for your class of seniors, lol.

And this: “Stomp the roses. (Preferably ones that your significant other didn’t buy, since they might never bring you flowers again if you stomp them to the ground.) 😆

I’ve been really getting into STR lately (loved it right from 1st listen tho’), and I really hope David & Bryce Avary continue to write songs together. The combination of Bryce’s indie edge and David’s classic appreciation of melody I think could produce a lot of amazing yin/yang greatness (like the magic combo of indie-ish Lennon & classic McCartney … okay, I’m getting ahead of myself, LOL).

And loved @katedangerous (from KSM) jumping in on that Cambio chat (confession: when he initially called someone over I was terrified it was going to be Melinda! 😯 )

embe! embe! embe! ((((hugs)))
    This is lovely. I can picture the seniors hearing David for the first time and then seeing his pic. I would love in a way to hear that voice for the first time again…..I think I will go back right now….

I saw his first “Waiting for the World to Change” audition as well, but Heaven was when I really took notice…and felt the voice, gah

Your 12 steps are hilarious, and “All they can hear is the soothing voice of a young man, singing straight from his soul.” says it all.

• abanana77 says:

refnaf! LOVE going back to the beginning! I forget how much he’s grown sometimes until I go back and rewatch videos like this.

“I’m just gonna get into that song, I’m gonna tell it to the judges, I’m gonna make sure they understand it *heh*” Well maybe he hasn’t changed too much after all, sounds like something he’d still say.

Embe- LOVED this post. I am imagining all the seniors being taken away by David’s beautiful voice. What an awesome oppertunity to share David with Finland! Amazing!

Haven’t actually watched the chat yet (bad fan, lol), but am planning on it this afternoon when my dad, cousin and brothers go swimming and my mom and aunt make an Ikea trip. Haha.

embe, great article, love your wit! Kudos for your volunteer work, love that, and your methodical brainwashing of those unsuspecting seniors. They are lucky to have such a caring (albeit sneaky) instructor, for “the voice” will ultimately bless them in ways they aren’t even aware of. In a few weeks you can spring CFTH on them!

Interesting that so many of us distinctly remember the first time we heard his voice and how it made us feel. I remember one of the AI backup singers saying every time David sang you felt that something special was happening.

TOfan, love STR too, especially that live version from Grand Rapids. That mp3 is on repeat in my car. Can’t remember who made that but, THANK YOU!

“The combination of Bryce’s indie edge and David’s classic appreciation of melody I think could produce a lot of amazing yin/yang greatness (like the magic combo of indie-ish Lennon & classic McCartney … ”

Oooh, I love that…tingly just thinking about it!

David and Katie reunion, cute 🙂

Pics at the top, great choices…click, enlarge.

Ah Embe loved your post, puts a big smile on my face! How sweet that you play David’s music for your seniors class, way to go Embe.
    “All they can hear is the soothing voice of a young man, singing straight from his soul.” Perfect.

Love that 12 step program, lol. You are right though, there is no ‘overcoming’ ODD as we call it, no matter what your age, I’ve discovered. Yes, we are all in this ‘elevator’ for life. Great post Embe. 🙂

peppertara – “Maybe you could have the seniors listen to David’s music while you show a silent video of David and his animations during an interview or live chat, they could follow along with his adorable and extensive arm and hand movements, haha.” I can see this in my mind – might be some pulled muscles!

Ah, we are all in this together and no cure, so sad, LOL. Serously though, David continues to be my inspiration.

On another note girlup.org has posted David’s short chat and the song he performed – Complain. It just amazes me how he find a song on his album that suit the occasion which he is attending. TAGGB for the Jerry Lewis Telethon and now Complain for the girlup.org event.

awestruck, watering trees on a beautiful day and just popped in for a sec, so happy I did. That Complain, incredible. It’s been said a million times, but there is nothing that compares to him live.

• awestruck says:

oh yeah, I would have to agree about David live… loved the improv ending.

man, that Complain ending, awesome awestruck, lol. I have to admit this is a song I sort of skipped over when I first heard the album, but it’s been totally in my head the past few days, only really appreciating it now, especially the layering of his amazing vocals. Typical David that he didn’t use the occasion to promote SBL/Elevator/FS but picked what he thought would be right for that audience. 🙂

• refnaf says:

hmmmm Complain is my least fave song, but of course live it’s a whole new ball game!!

awestruck…you are so right about David, he always seems to choose such a great song for the occasion, whatever it may be.
    Whoa!….David’s Complain for the “Girl Up” event was fantastic and that ending, gorgeous! Most beautiful set of pipes and he sure knows how to use them.
    So true, nothing like a live, acoustic performance from David. Absolutely love that…a lot.

I’ve been listening to complain alot recently too! When I walk to campus, I have time to listen to like 3 songs, and for the last little while, my go to songs have been Complain, TAGGB and MKOP. I used to pick and choose my songs, but then it got cold and don’t feel like taking my hand out of my glove to change the song on my ipod. LOL. So now I just start on complain and listen to those 3. Kinda random ones to pick I think, but I pick them. Haha.

And yes, LOVE the ending to complain in that performance!!!

This from MJ’s Blog – OH MY HECK I want video! *please*

David Archuleta not only SANG at the 9th Annual Celebration of Dreams Gala in Santa Barbara last night he DANCED! SYTYCD alum

Caitlin Kinney tweets, “Amazing night for the dream foundation! Had a blast meeting and dancing with @DavidArchie! You killed your choreography!!”

***

14. embe86 says:

I l-o-v-e you guys ❤

I'm so happy my post made you happy. Ever since I was little I've enjoyed making people laugh. Not so that I could feel cocky about it, or label myself as a "funny" person, but because laughing releases endorphines and it can help one through tough times. I wouldn't have survived this far without humour. I am honoured by all of your comments. Thank you.

Sidenote: I'd give my right knee to see video of David dancing. He's really growing up to become something impossible to handle:

a) The t-shirt he wore to the Cambio chat revealed illegal biceps. Those were not there before.

b) He has started dancing. DANCING. Need I say more? Didn't think so.

c) He talks about Philipino mangoes as if they were his lovers. Why can't I be a mango? What does one have to do to be reincarnated as a fuit? I know if you do bad stuff you'll born again as a toilet seat but how to become a mango?

(((embe)))

Endorphines are a good thing, smiling and laughing also reduces the formation of wrinkles around your mouth, did you know?

“He talks about Philipino mangoes as if they were his lovers. Why can’t I be a mango? What does one have to do to be reincarnated as a fuit? I know if you do bad stuff you’ll born again as a toilet seat but how to become a mango?”

A toilet seat? I haven’t heard that one before, sure makes me wanna be a good girl, so I can’t comment on biceps or mangos…

• embe86 says:

Aww Awestruck ❤

It ain't bad to talk about biceps or mangos is it? I, for one, mentioned the biceps in a strictly professional sense, since I am a gym instructor afterall. Yes. It is my job to point out such things.

lol, k, quick mango/bicep break to bring you this Access Hollywood vid from the Dream Foundation Red Carpet (apparently he sang a few TOSOD songs & a few covers???) … there’s a commercial at the beginning, then the interviews, then another commercial & after that, more with David 🙂 :

• refnaf says:

hahah at the way he avoids the which song he is singing question!!!

Hoping for vids of the performances!!

lol, it seemed like he was trying to get better at plugging his album, which must be hard since shameless self-promotion is so not his style, and yet a necessary part of the biz.

He looked so dang happy to be there … def. hoping for vids!

• embe86 says:

Yeah, I LOL’ed at his attempts to answer without really saying anything 😀

• embe86 says:

I think David’s the only one that doesn’t annoy the ish out of me when doing that. When politicians talk without saying anything, it’s anything but cute.

• awestruck says:

I’d love videos too refnaf, but would be happy to at least knowing what he sang

Spent the weekend with some of mr. refnaf’s clients from Switzerland, taking them to Niagara Falls etc. On the drive back to Toronto I put my TOSOD cd in…. And it was nerve wracking having some one listen to the voice for the very first time!!! By the time we got to Elevator, they wanted to know who he was…. I gave my speel… 19 year old singer song writer, just coming out with new music, awesome voice (did not mention AI) and the were IMPRESSED! We went through the cd twice and, buy the time we dropped them at their hotel they guy were singing (kinda) and humming along!!! I feel a gifting coming on…

18. djafan says:

embe, your 12 step program just confirmed that my ODD is irreversible!

You are a very creative thinker and love reading your stuff.

So, I’m thinking about the songs David sang at the Dream Foundation event – he was asked to sing 2 covers and he also sang 2 from TOSOD. Hope this is a trend. 1 of his own songs for every 1 cover he is asked to do…

random – preorder for CD and DVD for the Orla Fallon PBS Christmas Special.

Don’t be startled, a few seconds after you open the page the clips of music comes on…

21. stenocruiser says:

Wow! Here’s the bonus track for the CD in Japan.
    “Nothing Else Better to Do”. Sounds great!

Bad fan moment again! I completely forgot about the japanese bonus track! Wow… actually such a terrible fan moment.

Like what I hear from it though. Super catchy. Need to listen again…

The Japanese bonus track is such a sweet song! Ah, love the warm, melting chocolate, gorgeous sound of David’s voice….such a cute, sweet song. I can imagine him singing something sweet like that to a very special girl one day. ❤
    abanana…haha, no not a terrible fan moment, just a regular fan moment. 🙂

Thanks, Steno!!!!!
    Whoahhhhhhh, I forgot about the Japanese bonus track too! Well, not exactly forgot, I just didn’t think we’d get to hear it for ages!

It’s a little Build-A-Bearish for me right now with all the effects they use on his voice, would love to hear him belt it out live. Very catchy tune though, I’m sure it’ll grow on me.

Love this verse (sounds exactly how fans describe meeting him! 😆 )

Sometimes when you talk,
    I don’t hear a thing,
    Don’t take it wrong.
    I look at your face,
    And bells start to ring,
    Then my mind’s gone.

David with Angels (how appropriate! 🙂 ) at the GirlUp event:

angels

25. embe86 says:

I had nothing else better to do so I listened to the Japanes bonus track. In my opinion? If sunlight could be put into mp3 format, this song would be the result. Like Joey said in Friends when he smelled potpourri, “summer in a bowl”.

Love that picture of David surrounded by angels – he seems really nervous 😛 Like he doesn’t know how to act.

Am I weird for thinking David’s the only person in that photo without wings, and still he stands out as the only one actually shining a divine light?

not weird at all, embe … “summer in a bowl” 🙂 it is!! I think his smile there sort of says, “This is too funny that I sing “Angels,” and my fans are “Arch”Angels and here I am with a bunch of … angels!” 😆 😆 😆

Well, I get kind of a reagaish (spelling?) feel from Nothing Else Better to Do

I’m likin’ it a lot after the first listen!

The article that goes with the ‘Angels’ photo is a good one “Celebrity entertainers wowed the audience” line mid way through is a good one.

• emmegirl says:

Heard that reggaeishness in there too! I really like it, sweet, light, feel good…
      ey ey ey ey ey ey. Embe said it perfectly!

Twitpic from @Gibson90210 *hopes for vids too*:

Off to a great start today!!! @DavidArchie stopped in an sang a few songs for us & @cambioconnect @Cambio_Music

Off to a great start today!!! @DavidArchie stopped in an sang... on Twitpic

Update:
    As David tweeted this a.m. “Ask and ye shall receive” … sounds as though a video is forthcoming, acc. to AI.now! 🙂

David Archuleta stopped by Gibson Guitar in Beverly Hills today and sang a few songs, including “My Kind of Perfect.” Click here to see a photo of David playing piano. Video of his performance should be added later.

Which will be the first time we’ve seen him accompany himself on MKOP, right? *spazzzzz*

• awestruck says:

I do believe that this MKOP with David playing piano – yes for the first time – will be EPIC.

Wow, Anaheim show Dec. 29th, another interview with LP33, wow… interview should appear here: http://www.lp33.tv/

Here’s a pic from @LP33:

Owly Images

So… do we think the Anaheim show is part of a tour??? Because that seems like a random time to have a tour – between Christmas and New Years…? I dunno.

And MKOP with piano would be to die for.

• awestruck says:

I was wondering about that too abanana… I thought touring would begin in the New Year.

Maybe not officially part of a tour but he did say in the Cambio chat that they’re trying to finalize arrangements for tour dates in the New Year, so maybe this is the first of hopefully a bunch of dates to be announced.

Also, did anyone else get a tweet from David on their phone that’s not on his timeline (maybe he deleted it) … one about talking to his sister & she’s not on Twitter so if you’re “following” her, it’s not her? Did I just dream that? lol

aha, it’s not on his timeline, but it’s still up on his official site:

@DavidArchie: Oh I also talked to my sister today. She doesn’t have a twitter account :). So if you’re following “her” it’s not her lol.

hmmm

• abanana77 says:

Hmmmmmmm weird that he would delete that. Although probably it was just another twitter fail.

30. miasmom1 says:

Hello there, I pop in here and there when something really affects me. So just have to say Embe, your post had me laughing out loud, but your wishes to be reincarnated as a mango had me laughing so hard tears were rolling down my face. Also, I’m LOVE, LOVE, LOVING Nothing Else Better To Do!! I put that baby on repeat and cleaned most of the house dancing around to it. Thanks for everyone’s great posts on this website and do know they are very appreciated even if not everyone comments.

31. jackryan4DA says:

Helllooooooooooooooooooooooo everyone! I just got back from a whirlwind of… shall we say “domestic adventures” and been catching up 🙂

Congrats to those who got MOTAB tix!

Anyone spazzing over NEBTD? Don’t you find that the song perfectly describes what HE DOES TO US? Yeah 25 hours David… and that’s not even enuff!

And yes, Pinoy Archies are neck deep in preparation for his arrival next week. Will share all the goodies as soon as permitted to publicly announce 🙂 Funny, if last year we had the N1H1 scare, now we have the terror alert to work around!

Yup! When it rains, it pours! Just like the next couple of days when we can expect many interview vids from the man himself, like this one

I find it nifty that Naked’s 1st question to him would be about skydiving, when I just recently posted a review of PANDA (#7 of the Song-by-Song Review Series we have at TDC) — and I used his iFLY photo to boot!

32. jackryan4DA says:

Oh am sorry about the double post of the newest vid! I was probably writing my entry when TOfan posted it.

33. jackryan4DA says:

DEETS ON DAVID’S MANILA TRIP 🙂

David Archuleta here on Nov. 17

Here are the details of American Idol Season 7 runner-up David Archuleta’s (photo) return visit reported as “breaking news” in yesterday’s Funfare:

After he conquered Manila last year with his back-to-back concert with David Cook, Archuleta is set to delight his fans as he promotes his sophomore album The Other Side Of Down at a showcase slated at the SM City North EDSA Skydome on Nov. 17 at 6 p.m. Buy a copy of the album
    and have signed by Archuleta himself. It features the hits Something ‘Bout Love and Elevator.

Not only a follow-up to Archuleta’s 2008 self-titled debut, it’s a reintroduction to “the boy with the angelic voice” with whom 30 million televiewers fell in love during AI’s seventh season — now older, wiser, with faith still on his side and an eternally optimistic wide-eyed outlook. Hence, the album’s title.

“For me, it’s about moving forward and making progress,” Archuleta explains. “I’m heading towards ‘the other side of down,’ which is ‘up’.”

Archuleta’s The Other Side of Down Manila promo tour is presented by SM Supermalls, SM North EDSA, Sony Music, MYX, ASAP Live, The Peninsula Manila, Magic 89.9 and RX 93.1. To download Archuleta’s ringback tones, truetones, full track music from the album, just text ARCHULETA to 3456.

SOURCE: http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=628717&publicationSubCategoryId=70

SKYDOME has about 1,200-1,500 capacity – the same venue where DC had his M&G last year. A booth will be set-up at the Gate where the fans can buy David’s CD – which will serve as ticket to enter SkyDome 🙂 Logical, right?

He will have a slew of radio/TV interviews + presscon all on the 17th. He arrives on the 16th & leaves for the US on the 18th.

Finally, a true-blue M&G! The basket of mangoes & other goodies are already lined-up!

SOOOO excited for you JR – a M&G!!!! Definitely keep ups posted with even the littlest tidbit please?

NEBTD – yeah I am spazzing, I’m really liking the feel of this song…

35. jackryan4DA says:

Oh my… Nov 16 declared a holiday here. More incentive for Pinoy Archies to go to the airport & welcome him despite super tight security due to travel advisory…

SonyPhil is in for a mega headache!

JR, are you serious, a holiday? Holy cow!

• jackryan4DA says:

Nov 16 declared as a national holiday in observance of Eid’l Adha (Feast of Sacrifice).

So it has nothing to do w/ David’s arrival 🙂 But I wouldn’t be surprised if some government officials will be at the Immigration to welcome him… hehe

37. embe86 says:

miasmom1: Thank you for that amazing compliment! So glad you liked my post ❤ ❤

38. jackryan4DA says:

It ain’t bad to talk about biceps or mangos is it? I, for one, mentioned the biceps in a strictly professional sense, since I am a gym instructor afterall. Yes. It is my job to point out such things.

Yeah, sure EMBE. Hide behind your credentials whenever you talk of biceps…

Girl, only you can deliver a 12-step program w/ straight face, then the next breath, pray to become a mango! Crazy girl. That’s why I love you!

• embe86 says:

“Crazy girl”… now where have I heard that before? Oh, that’s right – from the midwife’s mouth when I was born.

I love you too JR ❤ Even though you're delusional (saying I'm hiding behind my profession when talking about the human anatomy) and EVIL (for posting material of David such as photos or videos that FORCE me into talking about David's biceps etc.).

I’m really thrilled for David’s fans in Manila! A jam packed couple of days for David (and the fans).
    Nov. 16th declared a holiday there, wow!
    Will be a fabulous time, Singapore too.
    I pray of course that the travel advisory will be nothing more than that.
    An exciting week coming up!
    Looking forward to new interviews, videos too.
    And the Anaheim show…apparently a dinner show, nice! Although people may be up on the tables after a couple of songs! Guess that’s where David will be around his Birthday, Cali bound.

peppertara – “And NEBTD is sweetly nestled in my brain, gives me a warm, calypso feeling. I love the sound, the tone of David’s voice in that song, lovely.” oh yeah, very nicely put!

JR precautions are a good thing right?

“SonyPhil is in for a mega headache!’

i hope so, means David will be well loved again there.

((((JR))) So excited for you!!! enjoy and absorb every moment! I am excited for David as well!! Lots of adoring fans and MANGOES!! (too bad embe can’t be one)

Perfectly said peppertara>> “And NEBTD is sweetly nestled in my brain, gives me a warm, calypso feeling. I love the sound, the tone of David’s voice in that song, lovely.”

New post/thread!