Isn’t it romantic?: From Love Me Tender to Contigo en la Distancia

Romance is the expression of love with words or deeds.

Romance refers to a feeling of excitement associated with any and all forms of love. It implies an expression of one’s love, or one’s deep emotional desire to connect. There are many realities in our human experience that can only be fully lived through the expression of romance.

“Love Me Tender” was the first romantic love song David Archuleta performed on the “big stage.”  It was largely overlooked due to the stampede of the media and public alike chasing and reacting to unfortunate rumours spearheaded by TMZ.

“Love Me Tender” was an extraordinary performance — acoustic, subtle, tender and romantic.  Those few who did review the performance before the rumours consumed all news about David, in general, had a hard time accepting the legitimacy of an amazing performance of a romantic love song from a shy, self-described “awkward” 17-year-old.

And, certainly, since then David has rendered beautiful songs about love — such as “When You Say You Love Me,” “To Be With You” and “You Can,” among others — that have conveyed a level of emotion, feeling and intuition seemingly beyond his years.

Fast forward 17 months.  With his recent performance of “Contigo en la Distancia” at the ALMA Awards, David Archuletascreencap-contigo-1 demonstrated to everyone the depth and breadth of his talent to sing a soul-searing love ballad.

Romantic and intimate, it overflows with universal love and connects to the world at large.  There has been no problem accepting this tender and passionate performance this time.  It ticked all the boxes.

Interesting enough, when Tom O’Neil* blogged last year in his  “Gold Derby” column for the Los Angeles Times awards site TheEnvelope.com about male singers and Grammy winners, he made this purposeful comparison to David Archuleta:

“Consider some of the multiple winners of the Grammy Award for best pop male vocals. These guys are real heart breakers — men not afraid to weep when they sing and mean it:  John Mayer, Elton John, Michael Bolton, Justin Timberlake, Frank Sinatra and Jack Jones over the years, to name just a few…

“Hit, surviving male music stars are unabashed, unapologetic romantic singers — they surrender utterly to a song’s schmaltzy message. That’s how they make an extraordinary connection with fans that endures for years. When sexy dudes are too cool for the room, they flop after brief flashes of stardom.

“In his future career, you (will) see David Archuleta surrendering to extreme romanticism.”

Tom O’Neill is right except, I believe, for the words “schmaltzy” and “surrender.”  David Archuleta doesn’t do schmaltzy, and surrender is not in his repertoire. In fact, he will likely re-write the book on romantic music.

Witness:

____________________

*O’Neil is the author of “Movie Awards, The Emmys and The Grammys.” In 1999, he launched GoldDerby.com, a website devoted to predicting all major show awards: Oscars, Emmys, Grammys, Golden Globes and Tonys.  It was acquired by the Los Angeles Times in November 2005.

16 Responses to Isn’t it romantic?: From Love Me Tender to Contigo en la Distancia

Great post, Kizzi! Thanks for reminding me about Love Me Tender, haven’t listened to it much since A.I. for some crazy reason.

Romanticism seems to have taken a back seat on radio these days … I can think of no one better to help stage its comeback!

Thanks< kizzi! Love me Tender has been one of my most played songs, both the AI live version and the AI studio version are as you describe them- "acoustic, subtle, tender and romantic". If any one can re-write the book on romantic music David can.
    I still have CELD on repeat, no letting up yet.

I love reading the Contigo youTube comments:

fanforlifeful: OHHH Gooose Bumpsss!!! How long has it been since they post this? I am addicted to this can’t help myself. Every time I get hold of my internet connection, it’s like my fingers has its own life, they automatically type this site. Ahhh what to do? Still having goose bumps, it’s like hearing it for the first time all over again! Ahhh what to do? David Archuleta is just AMAZING!….

skydancer1x: hello, can someone please tell me what day it is? I have been under David’s captivating spell for several days now. I have watched this amazing video more times than I wish to admit! … Lord help me!

and my favourite:
    therealnewangel: I know now that I can hold my breath for three minutes and forty-two seconds…

4. marlie7 says:

Oh, Love Me Tender! Yes, this was another occasion when David stole my heart – and made me think of old-time crooners. Hoo-yah, bring back the romance to radio, David.

Ah, romance… I am a romantic at heart and I know this because KIZZI you said “It implies an expression of one’s love, or one’s deep emotional desire to connect.” I think that David does this instinctively, as an actor might connect to a role in a movie/television when they have had no direct experience associated with that role.

When David sang LMT and now CELD he bled my heart empty of all feeling, then filled it up with such yearning and longing that I cried.

So, I was at http://www.archuletafanscene.com and read this:

“I’d just like to share a little David story.. I went to Dunkin Donuts today and I got in line for the drive thru. I was listening to David singing “Contigo En La Distancia” while I was waiting, so I was pretty much in heaven (as you can imagine). I paid for my coffee and off I went.

Um… I went to take a sip and I realized I had left without even getting my coffee!! LOL I couldn’t go into Dunkin to grab the coffee because I was wearing my pajamas.. (okay, SO WHAT if was noon and I was still in my pj’s?! Another sad side effect of ODD.) I had to go back and wait in the drive thru line again, which of course gave me more time to listen to David.

We are all in soooo much trouble when David’s Christmas CD comes out.”

LOLOLOLOL

I keep a journal and I was thinking of going through for the last 18/19 months and see what I have written…can you imagine how funny “A Day in the Life of a Archie Fan-Addict” would be….or maybe that would also be how embarrassing 😉

And, yes, romantic. Funny how we all have varying definitions of romantic and how much that word really encompasses. I think David’s comments about spending time with his Mom and running with his Mom go to romance.

Thanks for that story, Kizzi, I’m ROTFLing right now.

I can imagine Dunkin’ Donuts staffers comparing notes:

“Hey, I’ve had a lot of drive-offs too! I’m, like, calling after them, ‘Hey, you forgot your coffee!’ But they don’t even notice … and they all have some Spanish song blasting from their speakers. Too weird.” 😆

The power of romance!

Yes, CELD induced stories are everywhere.

OH Heck, I didn’t even need CELD to make the staffers at a few of my Starbucks stops as I travel take note of my ODD. When LMT came out I burned CDs and gave them to the staffers at some of the Starbucks I frequent and I’d brought them Crush and ZG too (which I bought). I mean it really isn’t a far stretch b/c Starbucks sells CDs and plays all kinds of great music in their stores/cafes. And they do sell holiday music and music for charitable causes so maybe one day….

Oh, and I told Mr. K (a determined, die hard non-blogger) about this site.

He pursued the site and said to tell you it was as delicious to read as the maple sugar candy (that he was given on check in at the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City) was to his taste buds.

He wants to know if we can work “Poutine” into an article and “Frommage en Grain.” These are his food memories from our holiday in Canada.

Oh, and he says Canadian cuisine is quite romantic.

Oh Mr. K we love you!

haha, we do love Mr k. I’d like to meet him soon! Maybe we can enlist him for an article on Romantic Canadian Cuisine?
    Speaking of food,this is by Tuiniviel (from Snarkies)- a lovely post, that devoured! Thanks T!

The vocal things that David does, the fading of notes, the vibrato, the attention to detail (that’s what it really is), all these things are not unusual in some artists. You hear that quality in artists who are steered toward opera and stage performing. The reason, is because, vocally, that genre demands more skill and technical proficiency. Artists who have “what cannot be taught” are recognized and moved into the musical performance style that makes the most of their vocal skill. David defies conventions because he has chosen to bring that vocal skill to the masses in the form of pop music. This is the reason there are no popular artists to whom we can compare his vocal skill; there are none because they are in highly skilled and demanding vocal genres that are not favored by the masses. David bridges a huge gap, thereby changing the face of music irrevocably. He brings a high quality of vocal skill and emotional connection to the form of storytelling that is mass consumed. It’s like a famed gourmet chef’s version of a Big Mac and french fries at every local McDonald’s, and at a value price. He brings to our everyday lives what we thought we could not get anywhere but in an exclusive upper echelon gourmet restaurant that we had to fly to Paris to enjoy – a once in a lifetime type experience. He not only prepares it, but serves it to us with an impeccable quality and attention to every detail. He spreads white linen on our table, lights our candles, and places before us an unforgettable meal……..and we’re in a McDonald’s surrounded by people consuming the ho-hum regular menu Big Macs and Quarterpounders. Finally, after what seems like a long time for us, but really hasn’t been all that long, those around us are starting to notice the difference in the meal they are partaking of, and the one we are.

<333 Mr. Kizzi! But poutine "romantic"?? An artery-clogging chunk of heaven, yes, romantic … maybe only when served with Quebec City as a backdrop! LOL

Thanks for Tinuviel's post, Refnaf … glad I read all these food references after lunch!

“an artery-clogging chuck of heaven” and so scrumptious too. What comfort food. Tres délicieux!

I think I could say the same thing about chocolat, crème fraîche, & crème glacée .

Great post by Tinuviel, ref

MCL has posted a review of David’s performance

thanks awestruck. Lovely review.

Flurry of tweets to Canadian archies (oops, I mean snowangelz) tonight!

@davidarchie @susannalam I want to! Let’s try and find a way haha

in response to susannalam asking that he stop by here (Toronto) on his Christmas tour!!

@davidarchie @pastelpastel try but can never keep up lol. Ever. Thanks for the Cheesecake Factory gift card though! I just got it today! Love that place!

in response to:
    pastelpastel@DavidArchie Do you get alot of fan letters? How do you keep up?