Wait, wait, don’t go, Lorna! The persistence of The Archuleta

"Lorna, Lorna, Lorna, take the dang picture!" (photo: the lovely @nareejo)

I first sent this post to TOfan right before the “announcement,” but found it so trivial and unimportant afterwards that I asked that she not post it. Even two weeks later, I had mixed feelings as there have been so many beautiful, poignant and eloquent postings since that announcement that I thought mine would seem silly.  Then I realized that sometimes silly is just what’s needed!

Persistence of The Archuleta!

Stroudsburg VIP arrives and while in line I’m running through my head what I’m going to say.  Do I say something endearing, funny, supportive, what?

Remembering my first failed attempt at British humour with him at the Philadelphia VIP, I quickly ruled out “funny.”  I figured I could manage a few legible words and say, “It’s been great being a part of this incredible journey with you.” Simple right??!!

So I walk up put my hand out and….. and…. I become a blubbering idiot (I know there are many, many of you out there who know exactly what I’m talking about), and if memory serves me right, I basically got out, “You’re wonderful!”

No name, no “Hi, how are you?,” no rehearsed speech.

I mean, seriously, “you’re wonderful”??? Even my failed dry sense of humour at Philadelphia was more creative!

Wanting to quickly save myself further embarrassment, I started to walk away, but oh no … Mr. Archuleta had other plans for me.

David: We’ve got to take a picture.

Me: Oh no, that’s okay.

David: What?!

Me: I don’t do pictures.

David: Why??

Me: I just don’t like to have my picture taken.

David: AWW, PLEASE!!

Bubble Overhead: WTHeck, who do you think you are Mr. Archuleta? You can’t intimidate me with that smile, sparkling eyes and soft concerned voice. Oh yeah, you think putting your arm around my back to pose is gonna work…. think again!

Me: Ohhhh okay!

From all accounts from on-lookers, David seemed rather pleased with himself for talking me into it. The guy has no boundaries and does not play fair!

Those that know me know that I don’t do pictures….. EVER!

I started to walk away and made a detour for Stix and in between him taking photos, I pleaded that I didn’t want my picture on the Internet – not because I was wanted by the law or anything…. I think he got a chuckle out of that.  He was so sweet and said, “Let me think about what to do and I’ll catch up with you shortly.”

Later, Stix said he could email me my picture. He asked what David said and why I had taken the picture if I felt so strongly, so I told him what transpired.

Me: I mean, seriously, how on earth do you say “No” to David.

Stix: *laughs* You can’t.

Lesson learned for next VIP – pre-Announcement:

1. Have a speech down pat.

2. See therapist to get over having picture taken.

3. Or grow a backbone and say NO to the Archuleta.

Lesson learned for next VIP – post-Announcement:

1. Grab onto him for dear life.

2. Look him dead in the eye and ask, “So, what are you doing next?”

3. See therapist about handling future “announcements.”

Little did I know at that time that David’s persistence (and you can tell from above that he had to work really hard at convincing me, lol!) would be so important to me now. He had the knowledge of his leaving and I’d like to think that he didn’t want me to regret not having the photo.

I’ll have this story and picture as a wonderful memory to always hold dear. As well as seeing the smile of satisfaction on David’s face that, yet again, he proved he has his fans in the palm of his hand and can do with us what he will, lol!

Thanks, David, for being so persistent!

Lorna (aka @RamblingDA)

This entry was posted in Fan experience and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Wait, wait, don’t go, Lorna! The persistence of The Archuleta

Oh my heck Lorna! Adoring this story, The persistant Mr Archuleta indeed!!!
    He is a force to be reckoned with! So glad you got your pic, and so glad we got to share the moment with you!! This is making me seriously lol at the memories!

2. Heidijoy says:

That is so heart warming!! You are funny!! In a very good way and yes David has become very charming!! (well he always was but now even more so)………and I think he was right, you will treasure that photo and the memory. I heard of another lady that was talked into the photo too!!

Thanks for sharing this story. Light hearted and humor are good!!! ❤

• tawna21 says:

Heidijoy… hearts here are the alt key and 3(3 has to be on the ten key pad) hold them down together and then release, the heart will show up ♥♥

***note to everyone else…we’ve been having a lesson on hearts over on facebook 🙂

Tawna

3. tawna21 says:

Dang it Lorna! This story is too adorable!! I know just how you feel (me and thousands of others), I managed “Hi, David”, handshake, photo. He started singing Crush (it was the song playing overhead) while we were standing there (I did have enough presence of mind to recognize that he was singing in my ear). He laughed, said “sorry” and I managed to speak “don’t ever stop”. How can people stand there and carry on a real conversation with him?! Really!! And then my photo turned out awful (David is gorgeous in it). Oh well. NEXT TIME!!! Afterall, David has said there will be more tours. I’ve got 2 years to practice. 🙂 🙂
    Tawna

4. Heidijoy says:

P.S. so aren’t you going to show us. I just see David up there!! We want Lorna, we want Lorna……………..

5. Jeffr says:

Lorna, LOL. Thank you for sharing your story, loved it. Wished I had witnessed that exchange with David but I was at the end of the line somewhere. Nice to see you and say hi in Stroudsburg. Now is that only half a picture I see with David above? 🙂

Lorna, loved your sweet story! Haha, oh yes, the very persistent Mr. Archuleta. Actually doesn’t take much convincing obviously! Was very sweet of David, how could you say no?
    Yes, now you have a photo to cherish along with your great memories. I’m not big on having my picture taken either but glad I do have one with David. It is definitely something you treasure!
    What a fun post, thanks for sharing!
    …and tawna21, thanks for the little instruction on hearts. Will try it sometime. I am so…..low tech.

7. djafan says:

Lorna,
    I really enjoyed reading your recap!
    How does one say no to David? You don’t 🙂

Lorna – Can’t stop laughing. Thank goodness all that magical persistence is in the hands of someone with a big heart. 😀

Too funny! AHHH I guess we don’t get a glimpse of the pic at all?

{{{{Lorna}}}} Thanks so much for sharing your story. After the shock of the Announcement (sort of) wore off, it all became clear why David was clearly making that extra effort during the whole Christmas tour (& with individual fans in VIPs etc.)… everyone commented on it at the time and unfortunately misread it as a sign that he was recharged about his career. So very poignant to realize now that it was his way of saying thank you and farewell (for at least 2 years anyway).

… I’m LOLing here at you guys asking to see the “Lorna” side of the photo … even David himself couldn’t get her to do that!!! … or could he??? 😆

11. dangitdavid says:

Hahahaha…..Lorna I loved this story 🙂 How right you are…who the heck can say no to that boy!! Little devil that he is 🙂 I especially loved the pre and post lessons…..my heart gave a little lurch reading them…particularly the “grab on to him for dear life”…”sob” 😦 I’m so glad he was able to persuade you to take that photo because you will cherish it now girl 🙂

12. Lorna says:

Golly gosh, thanks so much for your comments.

TOfan, just love the heading and leading picture…. very apropos!

Now about the “Lorna” side of the photo, I knew something didn’t seem right but couldn’t quite put my finger on it when Stix just sent me a picture of just David! 😀

• Heidijoy says:

Don’t think we didn’t go look @VIP Nation to look for you!! Hmm. David on the left….where’s Lorna ????

13. KT says:

Truth be told, David is lucky he got out of that situation with his life! Trust me I know from personal experience. Accidently, I once got a picture of Lorna’s pinky and I swear the MI5 followed me for 6 months.

Nice Recap!

ROTFL, KT!!!! 😆

And in case anyone was wondering how many needy kids were sponsored on David’s tour, ChildFund tweets:
      @ChildFund: Thrilled to report that 282 children were sponsored as a result of @DavidArchie My Kind of Christmas Tour. Thank you all

…aaaand a lovely blog post from one of the young musicians playing at the SLC show … fave part:
      “… we were told that david wanted to come talk to the orchestra before the show, but then his dad told us that he was overbooked and wouldn’t have time to see us. our hopes fell as the “ten minutes ’til showtime” announcement buzzed over the intercom. but then david burst into the room, out of breath. he had broken schedule and sprinted upstairs so he could have a few minutes to talk to us. and he thought the best way to use those few minutes was to join us in prayer.”

let’s just say, that’s the moment i regretted voting for david cook 200+ times.

Read rest HERE.

• Kizzi says:

LOLOLOLOLOLZ 😀

ROTFL KT!!!!

That is really cool-282 kids!! Wow!

TOfan love the side bar “He shoots, He scores” Thanks for the morning smiles!!

Thank you so much for the endearing story of Lorna and David. Alt 3

16. Lorna..your recap is precious & hilarious! I can top what you said to Mr. Archuleta…I think “you’re wonderful” is quite articulate & profound compared to “you’re all grown up now”…lololol…at least I can laugh about it now! On a more serious note..sure wish I had known what I know now. I loved what you said about David having his fans in the palm of his hands~if he only knew what he means to us. I enjoyed seeing you in Stroudsburg & hope I see you again on the “I’m Back/2014 Tour”…still looking for that time machine.

New post/thread!

🙂

18. Lucky David got a picture with Lorna… hahaha. next time we will fall in line to have a picture with Lorna instead hihihi…

19. Anonymous says: